Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2022 8:28:25 PM EDT
https://underwoodammo.com/30-06-springfield-m1-garand-168-grain-hornady-a-max/

It says in the ad that it’s for M1 Garand, but then it’s not so clear since the box only shows one side?  My friend wants M1 Garand-safe hunting ammo.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 9:10:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get 150gr Remington Cor-Lokt. Cheap, plentiful and works good in gas guns.

If that is the Underwood 168gr with Nosler CC bullets, it is not a hunting bullet.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 10:34:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot the Norma 150gr Soft Point in my Garand.  Runs perfect and great whitetail load.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Stick to 150 grain "standard" type 30.06 loads - JSP will be fine

Avoid "extra Velocity" or heavier bullets like 180's or 220's

Heavier loads of those sorts can damage the gas piston of the Garand

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:50:37 AM EDT
[#5]
@FluffyTheCat  for his Garand wisdom.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 6:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@FluffyTheCat  for his Garand wisdom.
View Quote

I have no idea. I have never seen any Underwood ammo in real life.

I just shoot handloads.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Heavier loads of those sorts can damage the gas piston of the Garand

Bigger_Hammer

View Quote
Ugh...no...just stop reposting internet BS.

Pretty much all commercial ammo is just fine in the garand providing its properly greased and you have good springs in it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:38:43 AM EDT
[#8]
It’s all fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ugh...no...just stop reposting internet BS.

Pretty much all commercial ammo is just fine in the garand providing its properly greased and you have good springs in it.
View Quote

I don't know about "internet B.S." - the guy who told me that (back when dial up was the thing)  is a "Presidents 100" winner and long time President of our local rifle club where he's been running NRA High Power Service Rifle Matches for many many many years.  

Next time I bump into him I'll share your wisdom ...

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I don't know about "internet B.S." - the guy who told me that (back when dial up was the thing)  is a "Presidents 100" winner and long time President of our local rifle club where he's been running NRA High Power Service Rifle Matches for many many many years.  

Next time I bump into him I'll share your wisdom ...

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote
Cool because his opinions don't change how science actually works.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone seen or had a rod bend/break on them?
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#12]
From the picture the OP provided, that bullet appears to be a "Match" type bullet and not a true hollow point. More than likely Sierra Matchking or Nosler Custom competition and those types of bullets are not meant for hunting, they are for shooting matches. Try to find some soft point ammunition or Hornady V-Max type ballistic tip ammo. 125 - 160 grain.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 7:31:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
No...not in 30+ years of shooting them.

However I keep them properly lubed and with good srpings in them etc.

I've had several come into my shop bone dry and they had been shooting them that way.

Proper lubrication is your friend when it comes to the garand.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've had several come into my shop bone dry and they had been shooting them that way.

View Quote

Unfortunately you seem to have forgotten your thoughts and articles on this subject have been shown to be well, worthless........

The fact the GCA had to write a clear rebuttal article showing exactly how mis-informed you are on this subject is telling.  

So if anyone is spreading "internet lies" it's you....................

PS:  The people with actual, true 30yrs experience shooting M1 Garand were those forced to rebut your nonsense, not you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes I have had them and seen them.  
Anything can be abused to the point of damage.
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 10:52:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you @Jeremy2171 and everyone else!
Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Unfortunately you seem to have forgotten your thoughts and articles on this subject have been shown to be well, worthless........

The fact the GCA had to write a clear rebuttal article showing exactly how mis-informed you are on this subject is telling.  

So if anyone is spreading "internet lies" it's you....................

PS:  The people with actual, true 30yrs experience shooting M1 Garand were those forced to rebut your nonsense, not you.
View Quote
Cool opinion...much like the GCA article.

Nothing in the GCA article rebutted anything in my article.

Feel free to post anything from the GCA article that directly countered anything we posted.

I'll wait....

In other news science says commercial ammo is fine since it's operating at similar pressure as milsurp ammo.

Even ammo that is overloaded causes no issues after several hundred rounds in properly greased rifles.

Link Posted: 9/15/2022 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Thank you @Jeremy2171 and everyone else!
View Quote
You're welcome..if you have any more questions feel free to ask... be glad to help
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Just get 150gr Remington Cor-Lokt. Cheap, plentiful and works good in gas guns.
If that is the Underwood 168gr with Nosler CC bullets, it is not a hunting bullet.
View Quote

The Hornady 168gn AMAX bullet IS a “hunting” bullet. Alaskan YouTuber, Chuke, used that ammo in his M1 Garand to hunt caribou and took several with it. He ran a forward-mounted Scout scope on his M1.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:22:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Heavier loads of those sorts can damage the gas piston of the Garand.
View Quote

@ Jeremy for the correct answer ….

But regardless, if you install the Schuster Mfg. M1 gas plug, and tune it properly to the ammo you want to shoot, you can shoot ANY 30-06 “hunting” ammo - from the typical 150grn, 165/168grn, & 180grn loads, all the way to Remington’s 220grn Corelokt ammo (@ 2405fps).
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Cool opinion...much like the GCA article.

Nothing in the GCA article rebutted anything in my article.

Feel free to post anything from the GCA article that directly countered anything we posted.

I'll wait....

In other news science says commercial ammo is fine since it's operating at similar pressure as milsurp ammo.

Even ammo that is overloaded causes no issues after several hundred rounds in properly greased rifles.

View Quote
I'll chime in for a second to say that Jeremy does know his way around a Garand, and the work he did on mine was absolutely excellent.  I, for one, trust his take on things enough to have sent him one rifle already, with a plan to send him another in the next couple of days.

Otherwise I'm not an expert, nor do I play one on TV
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Hornady 168gn AMAX bullet IS a “hunting” bullet. Alaskan YouTuber, Chuke, used that ammo in his M1 Garand to hunt caribou and took several with it. He ran a forward-mounted Scout scope on his M1.
View Quote

Just because some YouTuber kills something with a target bullet does not make it a good hunting bullet. The Hornady AMAX is a target bullet. It is not constructed for hunting applications. It will disintegrate compared to good hunting bullets. That destroys a lot of meat if you have to hit a shoulder and risks incomplete penetration of the vitals. It performs more like a varmint bullet in big game.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just because some YouTuber kills something with a target bullet does not make it a good hunting bullet. The Hornady AMAX is a target bullet. It is not constructed for hunting applications. It will disintegrate compared to good hunting bullets. That destroys a lot of meat if you have to hit a shoulder and risks incomplete penetration of the vitals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because some YouTuber kills something with a target bullet does not make it a good hunting bullet. The Hornady AMAX is a target bullet. It is not constructed for hunting applications. It will disintegrate compared to good hunting bullets. That destroys a lot of meat if you have to hit a shoulder and risks incomplete penetration of the vitals.

It performs more like a varmint bullet in big game.

Caribou aren’t “big game?  The caribou Chuke killed with that AMAX ammo were one-shot drops, except for the one he had to shoot twice.
Link Posted: 9/16/2022 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@ Jeremy for the correct answer  .

But regardless, if you install the Schuster Mfg. M1 gas plug, and tune it properly to the ammo you want to shoot, you can shoot ANY 30-06 "hunting" ammo - from the typical 150grn, 165/168grn, & 180grn loads, all the way to Remington's 220grn Corelokt ammo (@ 2405fps).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heavier loads of those sorts can damage the gas piston of the Garand.

@ Jeremy for the correct answer  .

But regardless, if you install the Schuster Mfg. M1 gas plug, and tune it properly to the ammo you want to shoot, you can shoot ANY 30-06 "hunting" ammo - from the typical 150grn, 165/168grn, & 180grn loads, all the way to Remington's 220grn Corelokt ammo (@ 2405fps).
True..but you can also do that with the regular USGI gas cylinder lock screw.  Fed 220s are a few hundred more PSI at the Port than LC 74 and Rem 220s are a few hundred less PSI at the port.

USGI ammo spans around 3000 PSI variance in port pressure.  Commercial ammo is under it or just over it.  So not an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top