Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2020 12:35:06 PM EDT
Quick Tip: Is It OK to Store Magazines Loaded?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The common belief is that a spring looses its mojo by repeat cycles, not from being compressed.  I suppose a spring made of shit house material could be an exception to the rule.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
When Uzi Galil died, the inventory of his house included disassembled UZI magazines.  Apparently, the designer of the UZI was convinced not to leave his magazines loaded.  I suspect he knew a thing or two.

RAy
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What’s the point of an empty mag?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Ug...

Even an empty magazine has a compressed spring inside. If compressing a spring made it weak.. your empty mags would all slowly die too.

Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#5]
hooke's law.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:07:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Military stores loaded magazines for years and years.  I think they’ll be alright.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:48:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes from what I have found.

But I'd cycle them every so often.  Personal preference.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:59:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When Uzi Galil died, the inventory of his house included disassembled UZI magazines.  Apparently, the designer of the UZI was convinced not to leave his magazines loaded.  I suspect he knew a thing or two.

RAy
View Quote
Ray, you are basing your storage techniques off some internet story? Ok then. Maybe Galil was working on improving his magazines. Unless you knew him personally and why they were stored like that.

OP, yes storing magazines loaded is fine.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
If your magazine "spring" was made from 1018 wire intended to hang pictures on the wall, then no, don't leave it loaded; and go buy a decent spring and replace it if at all possible.
A magazine with a spring made from a decent material (chrome/silicon steel etc) properly heat-treated won't have any problems being stored loaded.
Most of my magazines are stored empty because I've never bothered to take them out of their packaging. I always buy lots of extra's because magazines can so easily be damaged when dropped etc. and a firearm that takes a magazine is worthless if you don't have a working magazine for that firearm.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ug...

Even an empty magazine has a compressed spring inside. If compressing a spring made it weak.. your empty mags would all slowly die too.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/nopeSkeletor-32.gif
View Quote
Material set is a thing.  The spring "compression" in the mag's rest state (ie. unloaded) is the state the spring should return to under normal cycling use.  The spring material will relax if kept compressed for an extended period, material depending.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 8:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Do you pull the weight off the springs in your car every time you park it? Do you pull the valve springs off the engine? Springs will hold up fine under compression as long as they are not compressed completely, as in coil bind,  at least every spring made out of decent material.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Material set is a thing.  The spring "compression" in the mag's rest state (ie. unloaded) is the state the spring should return to under normal cycling use.  The spring material will relax if kept compressed for an extended period, material depending.
View Quote
The spring was designed to work within a certain range... set was figured into that. An unloaded magazine is housing a compressed spring. A properly made spring is not going to weaken just sitting there compressed within a working range it was designed for.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 12:48:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I can state for a fact that HK USP *45* mags are notorious for taking a set over time. Not the rest of the HK line, for whatever reason. Maybe its mag dimensions or something. Don't know. The HK forums have several accounts of malfunctions related to mag springs that totally disappeared with new springs.

I have personally experienced this. I bought a USP45 years ago, sold it to my brother who apparently kept it stored away with all 3 mags fully loaded and only shot it occasionally. I bought it back from him and took it to the range. I had malfunction after malfunction, and the slide never once locked back when empty.

I replaced all 3 mag springs with Wolff springs, went back to the range the next day, and had exactly 0 issues. No cleaning in between range sessions.

I've never had an issue with other mags from other guns, just that one make.

I typically leave around 3 mags per gun loaded, then have another 3-5 stored unloaded as spares.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The spring was designed to work within a certain range... set was figured into that. An unloaded magazine is housing a compressed spring. A properly made spring is not going to weaken just sitting there compressed within a working range it was designed for.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's a built-in assumption there, particularly since there are known examples of mag spring set occurring. Only way to know for sure is test a mag example that you have on hand.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 6:03:48 AM EDT
[#17]
An empty mag is... no mag when you need it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Nope.
Moms Demand Action demand even more action when they find out you have a loaded magazine, unattended, with no safety activated.
Somewhere a fatwa against freedom is being drawn up... for the children.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:02:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Just about every spring in each one of your firearms is currently compressed. Are you concerned about them?
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:36:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I have shot NUMEROUS Browning Hi-Power mags that we left loaded for 20 years with zero issues.  Same with the 1911.

I wouldn't worry about it as long as it's a well made gun or magazine.

Link Posted: 4/10/2020 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Yes.

Next question.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes.

Next question.
View Quote

Yes, but is the rate of loss statistically significant, at what rate, and over what period of time?  When would the gradual loss lead to a failure to feed?

Without knowing this information, the answer has no practical significance, and we are all merely speculating.

If the magazine still functions after say being stored loaded for 40 years, reliably feeding even if it has lost half of its compression strength, or some other measurable percentage, the data may be interesting but has no practical relevance except for vintage or relic firearms.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

RAy
View Quote

So..........how many assembled magazines were in his house?
Apparently, a conclusion was reached with very little information.
Oddly, no military disassembled their UZI mags while storing them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RAy

You’re saying that an internet anecdote is less relevant than the basic theories of metal deformation?

Getouttaherewiththatshit
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:53:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I just finished a life test on a product I helped design.  It includes a spring that gets compressed and uncompressed 10 million times.

It worked and still had zero "set" after those 10 million operations.

My guess is that the few hundred or thousands of times a magazine spring get used will not be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I just finished a life test on a product I helped design.  It includes a spring that gets compressed and uncompressed 10 million times.

It worked and still had zero "set" after those 10 million operations.

My guess is that the few hundred or thousands of times a magazine spring get used will not be an issue.
View Quote

Even a hundred loadings. That's 3,000 rounds, costing at least a thousand dollars.

A magazine is a 9 dollar part. Just buy a mag with every case of ammo, and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I still have a Colt Commander Lightweight .45 that I bought new in 1970.  It has 2 mags that have been loaded since new.  They both function perfectly and are just as hard to get the last rounds in them as ever.  So, if a 50 year test isn't long enough for the forum, then I hope I live another 10 years so I can reply to this same question that will inevitably come up at that time.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I’ve never heard of a mag spring failing from long term storage loaded.

Yes, a spring will take a set, but that’s far from the failing point.

As mentioned above, if you’re worried about compression over time, unloaded mags have springs under compression too.

My belief is springs fail under cycling, not constant compression.

If this is the kind of thing that keeps you up at night, go buy a bag of replacement springs and leave them in a drawer uncompressed for the day your springs fail. If I grabbed a magazine that had been loaded 20 years ago I’d be more concerned about the condition of the ammo itself before the condition of the spring.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:20:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you pull the weight off the springs in your car every time you park it? Do you pull the valve springs off the engine? Springs will hold up fine under compression as long as they are not compressed completely, as in coil bind,  at least every spring made out of decent material.....
View Quote

Haven't you heard, Texas is turning BLUE...

Yes, every time I return from any drive, The Democrats have decreed that I have to break out the floor jacks and raise my truck to put stands under the frame to allow the suspension springs to return to their full extended position.  

As part of their new "SUV Safety" (to prevent "Vehicle Violence"), the local safe storage requirements are to remove the wheels off the vehicle so if unsupervised children find them they can not drive them to commit crimes...

It makes it damn inconvenient to run to the corner store, but "If it Saves One Life"...  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I had some loaded Glock and 20rds AR mags I forgot about when I move out of my parents' home over 20 yrs ago. I found them along with 3 AK mags my dad had loaded and stashed away maybe over 30 yrs ago.

Took them to the range and they all worked fine. Reloaded and shot them multiple times and no issues. Loaded them with new ammo and put them back where I found them.

20 years from now my kids will find them and I am sure they will work fine.

Use to worry about this stuff, but now it doesn't concern me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top