Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2022 12:22:59 PM EDT
I suppose this is the right forum to ask.

In 2020, ITAR for firearms by and large moved to EAR and out of Dept of State to Dept of Commerce.  Great.  But is there still a level of manufacturing where ITAR registration is needed for an 07 FFL?  One of the weaknesses in gun laws and regulations is finding real authoritative sources.  Many posts begin with, "From what I understand..."  Also, does it make a difference if the 07 is simply milling lower aluminum blocks into receivers, and then does making a suppressor as an 07/02 up the ante, so to speak, in who needs to register for ITAR if not exporting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 12:55:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a parts manufacturer and retailer, and yes, we have to go thru the government website and file for a number for every single package going out to comply with ITAR
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 1:55:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#3]
It only applies if you’re not Joe Biden. See Afghanistan 2021. Night vision, lasers, weapons, manuals etc.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Try getting something as simple as a hand stop or light mount shipped overseas:  ITAR.
View Quote

The sheet that tells you how to put a Magpul CTR stock onto a buffer tube is ITAR restricted.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I suppose this is the right forum to ask.

In 2020, ITAR for firearms by and large moved to EAR and out of Dept of State to Dept of Commerce.  Great.  But is there still a level of manufacturing where ITAR registration is needed for an 07 FFL?  One of the weaknesses in gun laws and regulations is finding real authoritative sources.  Many posts begin with, "From what I understand..."  Also, does it make a difference if the 07 is simply milling lower aluminum blocks into receivers, and then does making a suppressor as an 07/02 up the ante, so to speak, in who needs to register for ITAR if not exporting.
View Quote

It is really as simple as:

If the item is on the US Munitions List, you have to register. Matters not if you have an FFL, SOT or whatever.
Link Posted: 2/22/2022 5:16:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Stupid is as stupid does.
Link Posted: 2/23/2022 8:57:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It is really as simple as:

If the item is on the US Munitions List, you have to register. Matters not if you have an FFL, SOT or whatever.
View Quote

And for the average SOT, its manufacturing silencers or machine guns that requires ITAR.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 10:35:55 PM EDT
[#8]
If I wanted to dabble in manufacturing suppressors, according to USML I would need to register them with ITAR.  Even if not exporting or really even selling at that point.

Then I decide suppressor manufacturing is not for me, do I need to continue paying ITAR indefinitely?  Or until they're out of my inventory?  Or only the year(s) I manufactured them?
Link Posted: 6/3/2022 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If I wanted to dabble in manufacturing suppressors, according to USML I would need to register them with ITAR.  Even if not exporting or really even selling at that point.

Then I decide suppressor manufacturing is not for me, do I need to continue paying ITAR indefinitely?  Or until they're out of my inventory?  Or only the year(s) I manufactured them?
View Quote

Only the years you are manufacturing, but its worth a few hundred $$$ to consult with a 2A lawyer to hear for yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top