Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2020 5:55:14 PM EDT
I submitted a form 5320.20 , Application to Transport Interstate, March 08, 2020. I called the ATF on May 15 . The agent told me the form has been approved but as of today, May 22, I have not received my copy, I am leaving Monday.  I called again today but was sent to a voicemail. With my form being approved can I take my SBR  or do I need to have it in hand before I go? I did ask them to email a copy if possible.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#1]
An SBR or MG?

It's not an SBR if it's not in configuration.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Short  Barreled Rifle
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#3]
And just two or three days ago some sbr dude here was thumbing his nose at AR Pistol owners.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 6:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Approved is approved. Have a good trip.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An SBR or MG?

It's not an SBR if it's not in configuration.
View Quote

+1

Even if you're legal I'd take the stock off just so Barney doesn't have a reason to be a dick

Now, if it's going to be packed into a moving van behind the dinette set and your Dale Earnhardt commemorative plate collection I probably wouldn't worry about it
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:31:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. I would travel.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yep. I would travel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I would travel.

Zero proof is zero defense. I'm not willing to risk felony charges over someone's word.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1

Even if you're legal I'd take the stock off just so Barney doesn't have a reason to be a dick

Now, if it's going to be packed into a moving van behind the dinette set and your Dale Earnhardt commemorative plate collection I probably wouldn't worry about it
View Quote

Just put a 16" upper on it, and the short upper on a pistol lower......
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just put a 16" upper on it, and the short upper on a pistol lower......
View Quote

He never said it was an AR, or variant
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He never said it was an AR, or variant
View Quote

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:Zero proof is zero defense. I'm not willing to risk felony charges over someone's word.
View Quote
There's proof, the ATF has it and a call to the ATF operations center will confirm it.

It would be an unusual day when a police officer (enforcing state and local law) knows enough to ask about a 5320.20 after either seeing or being denied (your option) seeing the Form 4, Form 1, etc.

If you want proof that you aren't committing a crime, then go ahead, but you don't need it to avoid breaking the law.

Best advice is don't put yourself in a situation in which cops are searching your stuff. It isn't all that hard to avoid.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not real worried about the police issue, I am a current LEO. BUUUUT I have meet those but-head types that like to flaunt their believed authority and are natural born assholes. I am just a firm believer that if some else has to follow a law then I have to, even thought I don't like it. My problem with changing the upper is the SBR is registered with the NFA so it is controlled even with a 16" upper. What is the sense in having the 12.5" just to swap it out every time I want to take some where to shoot or train. My other rifle is a 20" M16A4 clone.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 9:16:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am not real worried about the police issue, I am a current LEO. BUUUUT I have meet those but-head types that like to flaunt their believed authority and are natural born assholes. I am just a firm believer that if some else has to follow a law then I have to, even thought I don't like it. My problem with changing the upper is the SBR is registered with the NFA so it is controlled even with a 16" upper. What is the sense in having the 12.5" just to swap it out every time I want to take some where to shoot or train. My other rifle is a 20" M16A4 clone.
View Quote

It's not an SBR when not in configuration
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#16]
(You’re current LEO, but you don’t understand how the law works regarding NFA firearms.) My  SBR is the first NFA item I had. Form 1  October. 2019. Never bothered anyone who owned NFA firearms because they are not the kind of people that cause trouble so I never checked the laws concerning them. Pa law classifies an SBR as a prohibited offensive weapon  that may be owned if registered under the NFA.

2 hears ago I went to BATFE  seminar and asked that question. The agent said unless the form is submitted to remove from the NFA it is always an SBR.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#17]
To the guys that tryed to help me with my question. Thank you your insight is helpful. To the others that just want to make stupid comments fuck off.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To the guys that tryed to help me with my question. Thank you your insight is helpful. To the others that just want to make stupid comments fuck off.
View Quote

I don't know who the "fuck off" was directed at, but you've been given a bunch of correct information in this thread.  What that agent told you was incorrect.

If a firearm does not meet the definition of a short barreled rifle, IT IS NOT A SBR.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
(You’re current LEO, but you don’t understand how the law works regarding NFA firearms.) My  SBR is the first NFA item I had. Form 1  October. 2019. Never bothered anyone who owned NFA firearms because they are not the kind of people that cause trouble so I never checked the laws concerning them. Pa law classifies an SBR as a prohibited offensive weapon  that may be owned if registered under the NFA.

2 hears ago I went to BATFE  seminar and asked that question. The agent said unless the form is submitted to remove from the NFA it is always an SBR.

View Quote

What he ment is it's still registered under the NFA and when it is in configuration it of course is an SBR subject to transportation restrictions.

But if an SBR lower has a conventional upper on it, or no upper it absolutley is not an SBR.....but as soon as you put a short upper back on it, it's an SBR and your ducks better be in a row.

I'll find some links to provide clarity for ya.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What he ment is it's still registered under the NFA and when it is in configuration it of course is an SBR subject to transportation restrictions.

But if an SBR lower has a conventional upper on it, or no upper it absolutley is not an SBR.....but as soon as you put a short upper back on it, it's an SBR and your ducks better be in a row.

I'll find some links to provide clarity for ya.
View Quote

Section 2.5 of the ATF NFA handbook is what you're looking for.

"Section 2.5  Removal of firearms from the scope of the NFA by modification/elimination of components. Firearms, except machineguns and silencers, that are subject to the NFA fall within the various definitions due to specific features. If the particular feature that causes a firearm to be regulated by the NFA is eliminated or modified, the resulting weapon is no longer an NFA weapon."
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:23:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

"Section 2.5  Removal of firearms from the scope of the NFA by modification/elimination of components. Firearms, except machineguns and silencers, that are subject to the NFA fall within the various definitions due to specific features. If the particular feature that causes a firearm to be regulated by the NFA is eliminated or modified, the resulting weapon is no longer an NFA weapon."
View Quote

Perfect...exactly what I was looking for
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

While that is generally correct, there are lots of errors in the now 13 year old NFA Handbook that are just outright incorrect. Nobody should rely on it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#24]
List of situations when I've been questioned about a tax stamp or a 5320.20:

A)

My 5320.20 was approved over a month ago (4/22) and it has yet to show up. I will bring it on my trip without the paper copy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Just generally speaking: State laws and federal laws work somewhat independently of each other

If you slap a non-SBR upper on your SBR lower (and it satisfies all other state laws covering firearms) then it doesn't matter if it's on the NFA registry as far as the state cares
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top