Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2020 11:56:36 AM EDT
I'm in South Carolina and selling some pistols and rifles from my personal collection and live within a couple miles of the North Carolina line.

I know I can only sell face to face to residents of South Carolina, and that I need to transfer through an FFL to sell to an NC resident.

I also know that I can use an SC FFL to sell a rifle to an NC resident, but a pistol needs to transfer to them from an NC FFL.

My question is if I am selling to an NC resident am I able to simply drive directly to an NC FFL to do the transfer with the buyer, or do I need to use an SC FFL to send it to the NC FFL before completing the sale?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in South Carolina and selling some pistols and rifles from my personal collection and live within a couple miles of the North Carolina line.

I know I can only sell face to face to residents of South Carolina, and that I need to transfer through an FFL to sell to an NC resident.

I also know that I can use an SC FFL to sell a rifle to an NC resident, but a pistol needs to transfer to them from an NC FFL.

My question is if I am selling to an NC resident am I able to simply drive directly to an NC FFL to do the transfer with the buyer, or do I need to use an SC FFL to send it to the NC FFL before completing the sale?
View Quote

Federal law allows this. I have no idea if NC or SC state laws restrict this but l would think they follow the federal law closer than not.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 12:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Check with the dealer before you make the trip. I had one tell me he couldn’t accept a pistol from me personally, that I was giving my brother.  Drove about five miles to one with some sense.

No idea about NC laws.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think its required you go through a FFL if you drive the gun into NC  see correction below, thanks.  Our restrictions are buyer side, the pistol purchaser has to have a pistol purchase permit or a conceal carry handgun license and the purchaser has to be a resident of North Carolina.  There are no record keeping requirements for seller, displaying of license is enough, or if buyer hands over paper permit you can just throw it away as soon as transaction is finished.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't think its required you go through a FFL if you drive the gun into NC....
View Quote

ATF thinks otherwise.
Any interstate transfer of a firearm must "go through" a licensed dealer in the buyers state of residence.
Mail it, ship it, drive it.......all the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top