Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2021 1:56:00 PM EDT
How thick should a benchtop be for bolting a vise through it?

What I have is a homemade (by previous owner) workbench that is mostly 2x4s with a 3/4" plywood top.  One of the bolts is going to have to go into a leg.

I'm planning on installing some FAL barrels/receivers, so 200 ft-lbs is probably going to be the expected demand.

Is this going to be strong enough or should I find some way to reinforce the benchtop?
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:59:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I always double up 3/4" subfloor with subfloor adhesive. 2x 12" on center. Probably overkill, but it's never failed me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#2]
3/4 is too light, yes reinforce it one way or another.

Double 3/4 would work.

Bolt it to 3/4 and try it you will see that is not strong enough.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood glued (with Sika Flex and screwed) and then re-enforced underneath with glued and screwed 2x4's that attach to the wood frame.

Better to over build and not need it than to have a flimsy set up
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all, I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:42:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 2 layers of 3/4 inch plywood glued (with Sika Flex and screwed) and then re-enforced underneath with glued and screwed 2x4's that attach to the wood frame.

Better to over build and not need it than to have a flimsy set up
View Quote

3/4 marine plywood, doubled, glued and screwed bolted to the wall studs, standing on 4x4's
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top