Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/26/2019 2:29:56 PM EDT
Stripped Receivers Update July 2020
All matching receivers at Steyr are gone.

NEW UPDATE 7/7/2020

-----------------------------------
Parts Kits Update 7/12/19

Per Pete that's it. It's over now, no more sales.

Read the parts list, it has everything but barrel and receiver (but also includes receiver parts).

Link Posted: 4/26/2019 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Serious question. Why would anyone want to buy this?  Doesn’t seem like a good deal when you add in the cost of a receiver and barrel.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the heads up maleante.

Why would anybody want to have spare parts for their rifle? I guess if you don't see the need for one you wouldn't get the reason for it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Serious question. Why would anyone want to buy this?  Doesn’t seem like a good deal when you add in the cost of a receiver and barrel.
View Quote
If you're buying this with the intention of buying a barrel and receiver, then this isn't the deal for you.

If you're looking for parts, spare parts to keep on hand, because guns deserve spare parts, then this is a GREAT deal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you're buying this with the intention of buying a barrel and receiver, then this isn't the deal for you.

If you're looking for parts, spare parts to keep on hand, because guns deserve spare parts, then this is a GREAT deal.
View Quote
I see. When I saw parts kit, I thought build a rifle. Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:45:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Are all the parts inter changeable with current gen guns? Like if you had a nato stock a3 m1, could you buy that kit and have spare parts plus a normal aug stock you could convert to?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Modify stock buttplate with arm brace, make AuG pistol, profit?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are all the parts inter changeable with current gen guns? Like if you had a nato stock a3 m1, could you buy that kit and have spare parts plus a normal aug stock you could convert to?
View Quote
Yes, Exactly as you described.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 3:40:21 PM EDT
[#8]
GREAT deal for a parts kit...heck the bolt carrier and bolt alone is $500 bucks I think if not more...
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yes, Exactly as you described.
View Quote
I notice the stock in this kit has a hump right behind where the receiver would go. Would that interfere with the extended rail or anything? Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I notice the stock in this kit has a hump right behind where the receiver would go. Would that interfere with the extended rail or anything? Thanks for the help.
View Quote
If you have an A3 or M1 and the rail interferes with the stock hump, you can do exactly what Steyr does to fix the problem. Sand off the hump on a belt sander, or use a file or Dremel carefully. Super easy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
GREAT deal for a parts kit...heck the bolt carrier and bolt alone is $500 bucks I think if not more...
View Quote
It really is. I've bought singular parts that cost more than this.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I talked to Pete Athens for a minute when I paid over the phone. Here's some additional information:

These are drop shipping direct from Steyr even though PJs is selling them. It's the end of the STG77 era, the guns are done and Steyr's selling these kits to get rid of the last of the STG77 parts kits.

If you bought one of these you're literally in the right place at the right time. This is like the $7 AUG mags deal...
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 5:31:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I’ll be buying a set when I have available funds, hopefully he doesn’t sell out before that
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 6:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Tempting.....

Is the trigger pack compatible with the A3M1?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tempting.....

Is the trigger pack compatible with the A3M1?
View Quote
Yes but it's an A1 pack, meaning the hammerpack doesn't support the external bolt release button.

You still get a last round bolt hold open, just not the A3 external release.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:33:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I talked to Pete Athens for a minute when I paid over the phone. Here's some additional information:

These are drop shipping direct from Steyr even though PJs is selling them. It's the end of the STG77 era, the guns are done and Steyr's selling these kits to get rid of the last of the STG77 parts kits.

If you bought one of these you're literally in the right place at the right time. This is like the $7 AUG mags deal...
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up..... smokin deal and I’m glad to have grabbed one.  Now I just gotta fight off the urge to buy a second.

Also trying to decide how to suppress the AUG.  The newly available 1/2x28 barrels are the easy solution however they are $400 and I have a USR barrel sitting unused and unloved.  It’s probably cheaper to have the USR barrel threaded up until I got the idea that I really should SBR it and get it cut to 14” to round out my AUG barrel options.  Kinda kills the “cheaper” thing though and I’m guessing it’s a bit complicated to get a 14” cut USR barrel to run correctly with a suppressor.  Maybe I should just get the USR barrel cut to 16” and threaded......
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Wrote Pete to check inventory before sending CC info.

I'm glad I kept the barrels I have.

Thanks maleante!
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Well... that's a great deal, indeed!

Shame that the AUG bolt locks into the receiver, and not a barrel extension, or this would be a wonderful start for a home built bullpup of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/28/2019 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m going to snag one tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well... that's a great deal, indeed!

Shame that the AUG bolt locks into the receiver, and not a barrel extension, or this would be a wonderful start for a home built bullpup of some sort.
View Quote
Home built pistol, you mean.  Maybe I should buy one & make it into a non-pup AUG just to mess with people?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Home built pistol, you mean.  Maybe I should buy one & make it into a non-pup AUG just to mess with people?
View Quote
AUG shell as a Ruger 10/22 chasis?
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
I get where your thinking is on that, but I'm currently tinkering with a pile of parts, planning to turn it into a bullpup 5.56, fed from a belt. Being that I'd like it to be as short as possible, I'm constantly on the lookout for a suitable bolt/barrel extension. For me, those are the parts that are the most annoying to make.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:18:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 6:24:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Where in the hell can you purchase an AUG receiver?
View Quote
There’s been 2 sold on GB in the past couple months, they show up occasionally but these are for more of spare parts worth way more than the selling price. They are probably just trying to clear out the STG77 parts inventory
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:29:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Pete Athens is probably the best place to get one, they run a hair over $1k:

http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/

They come up on GB occasionally, this is the last one I saw.  Was hoping it might go a bit cheap as it was from a USR but it went even higher than one from Pete.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/802484684

I’m actually kicking myself for missing this one as it seemed like a good deal to just buy it and sell off all the parts if you wanted a reciever.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/797366297

As said by others it just doesn’t quite make sense financially to buy this kit purely with the intent to build up an AUG.  It’s kinda the opposite of the AR where you buy a cheap reciever and then it costs to buy everything else to build it up.  In this case it’s a cheap “everything is else” and then you pay a bunch for a reciever and a barrel.  Cheapest barrel I have seen was a couple years ago on GB where I snagged a USR barrel (unthreaded  ban era) for $125.  Normally they run more like $400.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:41:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I missed calling Pete today; tomorrow once I get to the range 0800.
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 7:41:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
From experience of having several AUG’s over the years including a Fleming’s Firearms Registered Receiver full auto.

Parts wear/failure would be the least of my worries.
View Quote
Yeah.... but if I didn’t have all the different stocks and stuff I couldn’t sit around playing dress up with them.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

They come up on GB occasionally, this is the last one I saw.  Was hoping it might go a bit cheap as it was from a USR but it went even higher than one from Pete.

I’m actually kicking myself for missing this one as it seemed like a good deal to just buy it and sell off all the parts if you wanted a reciever.

As said by others it just doesn’t quite make sense financially to buy this kit purely with the intent to build up an AUG.  It’s kinda the opposite of the AR where you buy a cheap reciever and then it costs to buy everything else to build it up.  In this case it’s a cheap “everything is else” and then you pay a bunch for a reciever and a barrel.  Cheapest barrel I have seen was a couple years ago on GB where I snagged a USR barrel (unthreaded  ban era) for $125.  Normally they run more like $400.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there any market at all to make AUG receivers?  No, not offering to do so (God, no) but there do seem to be enough of these guns & kits now to justify it.  Especially if some tweaks/changes are made to the part, sort of like the PS90/EFFEN90 receivers, which are also a low-volume but nice option for folks who want a second receiver to register/etc
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/29/2019 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#31]
The kit gives you a lot of parts, but not enough. Off the top of my head, you'll still need a steel bushing, 3 pressed sleeves, cover plate, 2 screws, and the most important piece of them all. The trunnion. It's pretty much impossible to acquire.

Once Steyr takes back production of the receivers, I could see them making special batches of receivers - for a price. I've asked a couple times for serial number matching receivers to the 6th gen AUG kits. If they could do those, I don't see why they couldn't match the carrier serial number to a receiver in the future - assuming they choose to do so.

Link Posted: 4/30/2019 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah.... but if I didn’t have all the different stocks and stuff I couldn’t sit around playing dress up with them.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/493593/1B619C2C-F3A1-4DB9-AB24-CBEA66C219E1_jpeg-928949.JPG
View Quote
That's more honest than most people usually are!

I swear, half the reason I own the various firearms I do is for the exact same reason... modularity and customization, however great the effort might be to achieve it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Card was just charged. I'll probably see the stuff early next week. Steyr ships with UPS and from my experience does not provide customers with update emails containing tracking information. If you have UPS my choice, free to sign up, you'll be updated as its on the way...
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
My thoughts exactly since I got my kit ordered.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
An AUG receiver is a hell of a lot more complex than a PS90 receiver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there any market at all to make AUG receivers?  No, not offering to do so (God, no) but there do seem to be enough of these guns & kits now to justify it.  Especially if some tweaks/changes are made to the part, sort of like the PS90/EFFEN90 receivers, which are also a low-volume but nice option for folks who want a second receiver to register/etc
An AUG receiver is a hell of a lot more complex than a PS90 receiver.
Obviously; my point is the target-markets are similar (well-heeled gun enthusiasts who want to improve their stuff or don't want to engrave NFA nonsense into their factory parts).  If Bostic can get G36 trunnions made for his T36 project, this should be no worse (yeah, yeah, I know, AUG's aren't worth $4,000...).  The rest of the receiver is basically a series of tubes .  Unlike the G36, there's a whole lot more AUGs out there to make replacement receivers for; it's not as though there isn't a vibrant aftermarket for stuff *besides* the receiver.
Link Posted: 5/1/2019 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Obviously; my point is the target-markets are similar (well-heeled gun enthusiasts who want to improve their stuff or don't want to engrave NFA nonsense into their factory parts).  If Bostic can get G36 trunnions made for his T36 project, this should be no worse (yeah, yeah, I know, AUG's aren't worth $4,000...).  The rest of the receiver is basically a series of tubes .  Unlike the G36, there's a whole lot more AUGs out there to make replacement receivers for; it's not as though there isn't a vibrant aftermarket for stuff *besides* the receiver.
View Quote
The thing is that you can already buy real Steyr receivers, they are expensive but not prohibitively so.  I would be shocked if their would be anywhere close to a reasonable return on investment for anyone making aftermarket recievers.  It’s just too complicated a part with too small a potential market. The Effen90 (PS90 aftermarket reciever) is viable as it offers a unique design that is different than the original at a higher level of quality.  Steyr seems to be offering what the market wants and at high quality so there really isn’t much reason for people to seek aftermarket options.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 11:51:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Oh man I hope these don’t sell out before I can grab them.

We’ll all be wishing we bought more when these are gone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Called Pete and placed my order and asked how inventory was...there’s ~60 left as of 1pm per him
Link Posted: 5/2/2019 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Called Pete and placed my order and asked how inventory was...there’s ~60 left as of 1pm per him
View Quote
That’s very frustrating as I feel like I wanna call and order another.  With 60 left I have a lot of time to torture myself over the next week trying to decide if I should get another.  Dang it...
Link Posted: 5/3/2019 5:44:40 PM EDT
[#40]
At my door 28 hours after ordering

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
At my door 28 hours after ordering

Bolt number ends in 652https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/121479/009877B1-49F9-414C-9FE3-950C1EB79B7F_jpeg-933147.JPG
View Quote
28 hours?  Now THAT is service!
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 12:10:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
28 hours?  Now THAT is service!
View Quote
Better than Amazon prime!
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#43]
I’m now on the fence about buying one. When I bought my AUG I also bought a Styer spare parts kit. I’m not sure if I “ need” this kit. I’d hate to not buy it and then regret it a few years later. I gotta think more on it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#44]
I dunno, looks like a great price for a bunch of parts I will probably take to the grave...  Maybe if you only had a Nato stock and wanted an Aug mag compatible stock or wanted to change colors on your existing stock.  That would give you a big head start on the package price.

I love my Aug but rarely run it very hard.
Link Posted: 5/6/2019 9:03:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I dunno, looks like a great price for a bunch of parts I will probably take to the grave... Maybe if you only had a Nato stock and wanted an Aug mag compatible stock or wanted to change colors on your existing stock.  That would give you a big head start on the package price.

View Quote
My thoughts as well. But I can see the appeal for those much more heavily invested in the AUG platform.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I got my kit today. It looks pretty much like Nostromo's. Box had been ripped and retaped but I'm calling it good.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 4:52:42 PM EDT
[#47]
I received my parts kit last week. I'm pretty happy with the dollar to value outcome. Glad to have gotten one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:28:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone want to part with their RH bolt let me know......
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 5:46:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I dunno, looks like a great price for a bunch of parts I will probably take to the grave...  Maybe if you only had a Nato stock and wanted an Aug mag compatible stock or wanted to change colors on your existing stock.  That would give you a big head start on the package price.

View Quote
This is what I'm struggling with as well.  As much as I enjoy the AUG, they have a reputation of lasting forever.  I bought the spare parts kit already, and bought a spare bolt already from RatWorx (the one that takes an AR15 extractor).  Am I really going need a replacement stock...?  I run mine hard at times, but do I really run it THAT hard?

To be honest, while this is a smoking deal, I can't help but think I'd realize more benefit from a $500 replacement quality trigger (if that ever happens), then likely ever actually use any of this.  That, and my next AUG related purchase is very likely going to be a new BBL (well... once they dump the 1/9 twist that is incompatible with half my ammo).

That said, if I hadn't already bought the spare parts kit, and spare bolt; that's more than half what this kit costs - and I'd totally pull the trigger on getting this.  And for that, thanks for the tip, as this IS a smoking deal.  For anyone who doesn't have any spare parts; you should buy this.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 11:15:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Will these parts work with debanning my Steyr USR? Are these US made parts?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top