Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2021 9:42:35 AM EDT
A group I shoot with meets once a month to shoot vintage rifles, Mausers, 1903 Springfields, etc. and we are always on the lookout for the next rifle to add to the collection.

One of the guys decided he wants a 1903 Springfield and mentioned the asking prices he is seeing online.  I haven't paid attention the past few years and was shocked at what I saw on Gunbroker and other sites the past few days.

What is the going rate for a decent 1903 Springfield shooter in your area?  Are the local shops asking an arm and a leg?
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve seen a few change hands in the last 6 months for around $1k. I really don’t feel like it’s too bad considering the multiple most milsurps are selling for now based on 20 years ago.

Edit: there’s a A3 In the EE right now for $900 in Illinois.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve seen a few change hands in the last 6 months for around $1k. I really don’t feel like it’s too bad considering the multiple most milsurps are selling for now based on 20 years ago.

View Quote

Same here - if decent unbubbaed gun they are pushing $1k.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:00:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:07:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Remington from a buddy who needed quick money 5 years ago . Gun shop offered him $275, he sold it to me for $300.00. Rationalization was, if he’s getting fucked, he would rather a buddy who could not afford to pay more benefit than the gun shop that easily could pay more. Was a REALLY nice rifle but not the model I’d like, ( peep sight model is one I want )   I resold it for $700.00.

Nice rifles though, I’m a sucker for any of those old military rifles, ( mainly USA, Germany, England ) don’t care for musings.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Deleted -- I shouldn't be pimping my own EE ad.  

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
There are still deals to be had.  I bought a nice 1942 Remington M1903 last summer for $715.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 12:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
They have all certainly gone way up.  My 99.00 RC Mauser paid for my new SIG 365xl.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I still have the '03 A3 I got from the CMP ages ago.  It's still in the wrap.  One of these days I'll have to clean it up and see what I really have.

And no, it's not ever going to be for sale while I am still on the up side of the grass.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 3:15:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Any non drilled receiver rifles in original configuration are $750 or more unless in poor condition. The typical nice condition rifle with arsenal replaced stock or barrel in good condition is $850-950. All original rifles $1000-2000. Low number rifles subtract a few hundred. Remington 1903 and Smith Corona 1903a3 rifles bring $100-200 premium.

I have sold from my collection cut stock rifles restored into reproduction stocks with USGI metal for $800-$900 range. I have seen cut stock originals selling for $650 or more with or without without the original modified stock. A couple years ago I could find and buy them for $300-350.

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Just buy a newer Remington 700, it'll come in handier in the upcoming civil war.
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 6:13:31 PM EDT
[#11]
my grandpa paid $16 post ww2.   and $8 for the 1911... both still in the family.... i wonder if he has a receipt? did they do anything like that back then?
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:17:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd gladly pay for one my grandfather carried in WW1.  There's just no way of knowing.

Link Posted: 12/25/2021 11:29:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll just wait and buy them from the estate of Mr. "no lowball offers.... I know what I've got" .....or trade the grandchildren they will them to for a set of earbuds

Most milsurp stuff is just at the point where many are losing interest due to the ridiculous asking prices....

I spent the past 30 years buying '03's and 98K's for less than $400.00 ......why, within the past 5 years their "values" have seemed to double is beyond me..... it's not like the supply was suddenly cut in 1/2, or the demand has doubled....

Link Posted: 12/26/2021 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#15]
So, what could I expect to get for my '03 in the low 900Ks with a '43 barrel? Non tapped, crown clean, bright bore, proper sling, '03 stock?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Most milsurp stuff is just at the point where many are losing interest due to the ridiculous asking prices....
View Quote

I stopped buying when the prices started going crazy.  Its not that I lost interest, its that I could no longer afford to buy them.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I stopped buying when the prices started going crazy.  Its not that I lost interest, its that I could no longer afford to buy them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All my garands except the Winchesters and the IHC were under $600.
My 03 iirc was $325 from CMP
My 03a3 I cannot quite remember but I want to say mid $400 ish.

When CMP got up there I lost interest at those prices and am glad I bought when I did.   I would not pay a $1000 for a run of the mill rebuild or refurbish 03 or A3.  Then again my wants have mostly met.   I never got a Smith Corona or Rock Island but really, I cannot have it all.   The only ones that I had my hands on were modified in some way, scope base tapped holes, or the same from a receiver sight with the stock notched for it.  Price was way too much for that damage.  Then again, I am quite averse to buying buggered guns, they usually will never realize the value of buying an unbuggered gun no matter how you try to fix.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2021 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I still have the '03 A3 I got from the CMP ages ago.  It's still in the wrap.  One of these days I'll have to clean it up and see what I really have.

And no, it's not ever going to be for sale while I am still on the up side of the grass.
View Quote

So it’s a gun you’ll never shoot, sell and haven’t even looked at?
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, what could I expect to get for my '03 in the low 900Ks with a '43 barrel? Non tapped, crown clean, bright bore, proper sling, '03 stock?
View Quote

A guy is selling four of them that came from the DCM at the CMP forums for $975 each. He is having no problems finding interest in them.

For those that think the prices on 1903’s is insane, look at M1 carbines and USGI 1911’s. There is a limited number of all these and as the cheap surplus supply dries up, prices increase. However, much of the price increases are just normal inflation and economy boom spending.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

A guy is selling four of them that came from the DCM at the CMP forums for $975 each. He is having no problems finding interest in them.

For those that think the prices on 1903’s is insane, look at M1 carbines and USGI 1911’s. There is a limited number of all these and as the cheap surplus supply dries up, prices increase. However, much of the price increases are just normal inflation and economy boom spending.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got $175 of early 80's dollars in it. I guess I'll hang on to it for a while. Based on that I'll probably hang on to my M1Carbines that I paid $150 for around the same time too.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 4:09:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, I've peeked into the wrapper a bit.  And I will shoot it eventually, don't you worry.  I have an unopened spam can of HXP .30-06 just waiting for the day.  I shot the rest of my HXP up in service rifle matches years ago with my H&R M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Paid $560 or something a year or 2 ago for my 03 from the used section at a gun store. I wasn't sure about it so Posted about it here and got a yes that it's a good one to get.
Link Posted: 12/26/2021 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll just wait and buy them from the estate of Mr. "no lowball offers.... I know what I've got" .....or trade the grandchildren they will them to for a set of earbuds

I spent the past 30 years buying '03's and 98K's for less than $400.00 ......why, within the past 5 years their "values" have seemed to double is beyond me..... it's not like the supply was suddenly cut in 1/2, or the demand has doubled....

View Quote

Demand is way up.

Look at the current age and income of the generation that grew up on Call of Duty and similar.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any non drilled receiver rifles in original configuration are $750 or more unless in poor condition. The typical nice condition rifle with arsenal replaced stock or barrel in good condition is $850-950. All original rifles $1000-2000. Low number rifles subtract a few hundred. Remington 1903 and Smith Corona 1903a3 rifles bring $100-200 premium.

I have sold from my collection cut stock rifles restored into reproduction stocks with USGI metal for $800-$900 range. I have seen cut stock originals selling for $650 or more with or without without the original modified stock. A couple years ago I could find and buy them for $300-350.

View Quote

Good concise post that pretty much sums it up. Auction sites will tend to drive those numbers up a bit.

CMP forums are good to find decent deals on fairly represented and (generally) papered rifles.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#25]
The 1903 has never been a bargain in my life time and I'm 65.  I did manage to snag one from the CMP when they had the Greeks, what, almost twenty years ago?  Had to replace the stock but fortunately there's a guy in Iowa that refurbs GI stocks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:41:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Oh, I've peeked into the wrapper a bit.  And I will shoot it eventually, don't you worry.  I have an unopened spam can of HXP .30-06 just waiting for the day.  I shot the rest of my HXP up in service rifle matches years ago with my H&R M1 Garand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's a gun you'll never shoot, sell and haven't even looked at?

When you do decide to clean it up, see if the local auto shop will let you use their parts washer. It makes the cleanup MUCH easier.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:11:39 PM EDT
[#27]
It's really not that hard to figure out why they are going for so much. They are an American arm and we are in America so people tend to want one since it's what great grandpa used in WWII. Plus supply and demand. There are a finite number of the rifles and demand has outstripped the supply. Add in the fact that so many 03's and 03A3's have been sporterized beyond saving in years past, there just aren't enough original rifles out there for everybody that wants one therefore driving the price up.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#28]
$1600 for a WW1 1917 Remington, definitely people are willing to pay a premium. Tempted to sell mine!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918948053
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$1600 for a WW1 1917 Remington, definitely people are willing to pay a premium. Tempted to sell mine!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918948053
View Quote

That one appears to have escaped rebuild so it's actually kind of rare and desirable.  Last I checked the "normal" 1917 rebuilds were $750 to $800.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

When you do decide to clean it up, see if the local auto shop will let you use their parts washer. It makes the cleanup MUCH easier.
View Quote

I work as a mechanic for an automobile museum, I've used the parts washer for cosmo clean up several times.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#31]
What I'm guessing is that there might be a few $ hanging on my friend's wall.

Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

I couldn't leave the house without worrying about my collection.  Impressive for sure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:29:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I couldn't leave the house without worrying about my collection.  Impressive for sure.
View Quote

He's an older guy who is asking me about wanting to sell them. This is one wall. I recommended an auction house type thing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 3:36:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I bought a Remington from a buddy who needed quick money 5 years ago . Gun shop offered him $275, he sold it to me for $300.00. Rationalization was, if he’s getting fucked, he would rather a buddy who could not afford to pay more benefit than the gun shop that easily could pay more. Was a REALLY nice rifle but not the model I’d like, ( peep sight model is one I want )   I resold it for $700.00.

Nice rifles though, I’m a sucker for any of those old military rifles, ( mainly USA, Germany, England ) don’t care for musings.
View Quote

$700.00 is a fair price.
Link Posted: 12/31/2021 11:07:11 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

He's an older guy who is asking me about wanting to sell them. This is one wall. I recommended an auction house type thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

A collection like that should be dispositioned by an auction house that specializes in those arms. That wall alone could pay for a few years of modest retirement if properly handled.

Quoted:

$700.00 is a fair price.

That is quite low, even for a rebuild, if it was as described.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've mentioned this in the past. I had a friend, he died about thirty years ago, he had his father's 12 sequentially numbered cosmo wrapped 1911s that accidentally fell into his dad's duffle at the end of WWII. His father worked supply in Hawaii for most of the war.  I have no idea what happened to them when he died but I suspect that one of his other friends absconded with them cheating his mother out of the proceeds. We'd had a falling out because of his runaway drinking a couple of years before his death. It's a shame, I'm sure I could have found new homes for them thereby benefitting his mother in her failing years.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#37]
First, there is quite a bit of disparity in the various 1903 type rifles.

An early 1903 in a scant stock is going to bring more than a 1903A3 Remington in equal condition.

But yes, they are actually selling for $1000 and up now.   People are paying it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

$700.00 is a fair price.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a Remington from a buddy who needed quick money 5 years ago . Gun shop offered him $275, he sold it to me for $300.00. Rationalization was, if he's getting fucked, he would rather a buddy who could not afford to pay more benefit than the gun shop that easily could pay more. Was a REALLY nice rifle but not the model I'd like, ( peep sight model is one I want )   I resold it for $700.00.

Nice rifles though, I'm a sucker for any of those old military rifles, ( mainly USA, Germany, England ) don't care for musings.

$700.00 is a fair price.

$700 for a decent 1903 (not 03A3) is a very good price in today's world.  I'd buy probably every one I see for that price regardless of manufacturer and stock.  As long as they weren't sporterized.
Link Posted: 1/1/2022 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#39]
It depends on the location

We have a forum with a for sale section

A guy posted a nice 1903 for sale and $1200.  Boy was he disappointed.

Last I saw he was at $900, no takers

And that's a shame because I have two I'd like to sell

Link Posted: 1/5/2022 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It depends on the location

We have a forum with a for sale section

A guy posted a nice 1903 for sale and $1200.  Boy was he disappointed.

Last I saw he was at $900, no takers

And that's a shame because I have two I'd like to sell

View Quote

Location is big. Here, $700 for an un-sporterized 1903 of any sort is a shot-out beater, or fair condition low-number rifle. $900-1000 is common listing for a decent rearsenal and they sell, every time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Between 800 and a thousand is what I'm seeing here in FL.
Link Posted: 1/21/2022 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#42]
I picked up a Remington A3 model from EE here, that I believe was one of the ones that were refurbished by an outfit that used drill rifles or such.  Has a new Criton (sp) barrel, new stock, and basically looks like a brand new rifle.  Paid 900 bucks, which seemed OK for what's more or less a new rifle.  Shoots nice.

Ahh the days of 50 dollar Mosins and 300 dollar Springfields are over I fear, and while the new prices seem high to those who bought before and cheap, they don't seem that bad to new buyers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 1:31:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Today I picked up s 03-A4 with an incorrect scope for 1400 wood was decent, some dents, no car touch

There was a very nice rebuilt 03-a3 Remington  2/44 barrel $1200
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I bought a Remington 03A3 from the CMP about in 2002. These days everything is more than double the price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top