Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2020 9:51:51 PM EDT
Got this beauty recently, was among my deceased grandfather's possessions. Only markings are BLACK POWDER ONLY and SPAIN on the top of the barrel. Surface rust throughout, cleaned the bore thoroughly and there is some minor pitting. Came with powder, a powder horn (?), balls and fuse.

I'm totally unfamiliar with black powder and am interested in learning what I need to know in order to safely fire this thing. Amount of powder, use of a wad or not, general precautions...

https://imgur.com/a/ED3gJtg

Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one just like that... but never fired it and can't recall what the guy I got it from told me about powder charge etc.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:40:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 6:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll buy it. I want one to shoot in my HOa
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:53:17 PM EDT
[#5]
What you have pictured is a shot flask. And a nice antique one to boot. Do not use it for powder.
Link Posted: 10/27/2020 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Pre-packaged charges in aluminum foil are the most widely accepted method for firing cannons.

Disclaimer: Most of the things I recommend for firing cannons apply to bores 3/4" and larger, but .69 is close enough to the line that i feel it should be treated as a cannon . The rules for cannons are different than black powder firearms.

For .69, get a 5/8" dowel and use it to form a tube out of heavy duty aluminum foil. Pinch, roll, and press down one end tight against the end of the dowel to form a cup. (The edge of mine is rounded already, it's the handle of a powder ladle. If yours has a sharp edge you should round it off some.)

Pour your measured charge (this one is 60 grains) into the cup and pinch and fold the excess tube over. This your powder charge. When you ram it home, make sure it's tight against the breech face, and use a vent pick to pierce the foil.

These foil packets will work as blanks (with black powder), or behind an unpatched ball.

The little mortar is there to verify the packet that I made would in fact fit down its .69 bore properly. I don't have a cannon in .69 to experiment with.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 6:12:31 PM EDT
[#7]
@far_north_311 any updates.

You shoot it? Still got all your appendages? Or at least the important ones . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top