Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2018 1:55:10 PM EDT
Ive been really eyeing the 5 inch 300 blk barrel from Veritas Tactical, but have some questions that I can't get answered.  I've emailed them a couple times and never get a reply.

I'd anyone has one of these,  can you please tell me what the dimensions are for the gas block portion ofthe barrel?   Diameter and length?

I want to do a super short A2 build wirh a pinned fsb, but don't know if there's enough room on the barrel between the beac block shoulder and threads...

Thank you in advance for any measurements that you can give me!!!

-Parker
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#1]
a lot of these new micro barrels have a bull contour (ie. .936" gas journals) and most are seeming to be about a 3.2" gas system pistol-~1.5" so that leaves basically enough for the gas block it's self and threads and about it.

you would probably need something in the 6" range or a true custom to get a pinned fsb on there. then the next question is what handguard? you'd have like ~maybe 2" of space. lol guess you could FSP cut a handguard. that would be cool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
a lot of these new micro barrels have a bull contour (ie. .936" gas journals)
View Quote
Thanks for that thought garred!  I looked again at the pic on their webiste and the gas journal is just minutely smaller than the breech end of the barrel, so I bet you're right and it's bull instead of 0.750...

Quoted:
what handguard? you'd have like ~maybe 2" of space.
View Quote
I already have a MI G3 kymod rail that I cut down for a 6.5 inch 556 barrel so I could get the A2 flash hider out from under the handguard.  I had planned on cutting another one like it down to 2.25", but if I end up with a 6" barrel, I'll probably go about 3.25".  
Comparing my 6.5 inch barrel to a 6 inch, if they both use the same standard pistol length gas tube, the FSB will overhang the threads on a 6" barrel... maybe I could turn down the first 3/8" or so of the flash hider and get it up under the fsb...

None of this would remotely be an issue if I hadn't already stuck my mind to a fixed carry handle upper and a pinned fsb

-Parker
Link Posted: 9/6/2018 4:06:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for that thought garred!  I looked again at the pic on their webiste and the gas journal is just minutely smaller than the breech end of the barrel, so I bet you're right and it's bull instead of 0.750...

I already have a MI G3 kymod rail that I cut down for a 6.5 inch 556 barrel so I could get the A2 flash hider out from under the handguard.  I had planned on cutting another one like it down to 2.25", but if I end up with a 6" barrel, I'll probably go about 3.25".  
Comparing my 6.5 inch barrel to a 6 inch, if they both use the same standard pistol length gas tube, the FSB will overhang the threads on a 6" barrel... maybe I could turn down the first 3/8" or so of the flash hider and get it up under the fsb...

None of this would remotely be an issue if I hadn't already stuck my mind to a fixed carry handle upper and a pinned fsb

-Parker
View Quote
I don't have a FSB handy but I want to say the journal length was about 2" so one way you could go about it is to get a 7.5-8.5" barrel then have someone machine it so that the old hole is covered by the opposite end of the fsb then drill a new gas port, pin fsb, cut/rethread this should get you down to about a 5.3-5.5" barrel if you cut the bayonet lug off.  then you can cut a handguard of your choice to length or take it a step further and cut the sling mounts off the fsb as well then "fsp" cut your rail so the fsb protrudes through the top but the rail covers the bottom/sides. I did this with a custom barrel I'm making myself I did a carbine +1" gas system with a 10" cheap guntec rail on a 11.5" barrel. I still have to send it out or buy the tools to pin the FSB though.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top