Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2018 6:33:37 PM EDT
I purchased these many years back - I believe I purchased both from Elmer Ballance (the Winchester was for sure), but when I was looking up info on the TRW bolt I was a bit spooked due to reports of rewelds passed off as new.  I did not the electropenciled "M" on both items (lighter on the winchester) which seems like a good sign, but I would really appreciate any input from the experts on the appearance of the bolts before I decide what to do with them.

Link Posted: 6/16/2018 8:02:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV, and I would shoot either of those bolts no problem. Do you have a headspace gauge?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 4:58:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not an expert, but I play one on TV, and I would shoot either of those bolts no problem. Do you have a headspace gauge?
View Quote
Thanks for the input.  On the headspace gauge, unfortunately I don't have one - is there one that could be used with just the bolt?
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:54:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Elmer's stuff was second to none. They look fine also from the pics
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#4]
The Winchester is refinished as the roller cam is parkerized.  The TRW looks to be in original condition.  Both look good.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Winchester is refinished as the roller cam is parkerized.  The TRW looks to be in original condition.  Both look good.
View Quote
Excellent info, I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks everyone for the info!
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:04:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input.  On the headspace gauge, unfortunately I don't have one - is there one that could be used with just the bolt?
View Quote
A M1A bolt doesn't just drop in. GI bolts generally fit in or ALMOST fit in with minor lapping. Either way, it's not a risk worth taking.

For the safety of yourself and others, don't swap bolts on a M1A willy nilly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

A M1A bolt doesn't just drop in. GI bolts generally fit in or ALMOST fit in with minor lapping. Either way, it's not a risk worth taking.

For the safety of yourself and others, don't swap bolts on a M1A willy nilly.
View Quote
Understood - They're a different animal than the AR15, and that's part of what makes them cool
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Both look fine, if you are really concerned about tbe TRW being a re-weld go to a machine shop & have it magnafluxed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Elmer had no problem with welded bolts. Ive seen and used one of Elmer’s re-welds and I think they’re perfectly fine too. Yours aren’t re-welds.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
That TRW bolt looks exactly like a NEW one I bought many years ago that has done good service. I would use it without hesitation.
Link Posted: 7/3/2018 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll take 'em.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top