Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2018 4:48:45 PM EDT
Just got a PVS14 and I'm short on funds.

However I want to get out and do some night shooting.

Is it worth it to get a cheaper IR laser like the lasermax or better to save up for a Steiner OTAL?

Are there other better cheap options?

I figure the lasermax could be put on a pistol after I get a better IR laser.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a Lasermax UNI-IR when they first offered them Class I, and have been very pleased with it. Before that, I only had experience with the PEQ-2A.

I still run my UNI-IR on a 11.5" upper, opposite a Surefire m952v for illum. It works great.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I went really cheap and got one of those G-Sight Gladiators for $37 from optics planet. Was $49 regular price. I haven't owned many lasers so I'm no expert but I'll tell you, it's worked flawlessly.  I lasered 1200 yards with my Lica Geovid binoculars and you can see the laser at that distance no problem.  Tracking was dead on when adjusting it. The only problem I've had is the Halo around it when using the PVS14 Gen 3 Pinnacle with it.  My IR illuminator fixes that but then someone else can see you.  The Halo isn't as much of a problem further out or in brighter conditions. Oh, and isn't very compact. Fine for what I do though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My UNI-IR runs fine for years. Like KB, I have had it since it first came out.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you can find any Crimson Trace Rail Master micro IR lasers, they are excellent.  Last year they were blown out since they were being discontinued, I grabbed a bunch so I could have one for each gun I use at night.  They weigh basically nothing and work great.  I also own the Laser Max Uni-IR, I much prefer the Crimson Trace unless it is for a pistol that I need to mount a light on as well.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you can find any Crimson Trace Rail Master micro IR lasers, they are excellent.
View Quote
This. I have 4 of the CMR-201 IRs and they kick ass.  I sure wish CT was still making them, but they've told me multiple times that the red tape (I guess ITAR) just wasn't worth the profit margins.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the same boat as OP. Anyone have experience with the G&P DBAL clones?
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:16:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I picked up one of these on a whim for $38 to use with my PVS14. I have it mounted and sighted in at 50 yards. It’s big and ugly and wonky but does produce a very bright ir beam. Actually it was too bright and bloomed horribly with my 14. I cut up little circles from an old floppy disk to use as an ir pass film to lower the light output. I was able to tuck them behind the cap and it did the trick. Now at 50 the dot produced matches my comp m2’s dot on NV setting 2.

The mount and laser seem ok (chinesium) for the price but I wouldn’t trust my life to them. When it warms up and night shooting is bearable again I will see if it will keep zero on my 300aac with subs.

Attachment Attached File

Amazon Product
  • Output power: Class 3A laser < 5mw
  • Wavelength: 850 Nm
  • Construction: aluminum alloy

Link Posted: 2/15/2018 12:20:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the UNI-ir
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 1:12:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Try the holosun 117ir for a chesp alternative and there alot easier to zero
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 12:13:45 PM EDT
[#10]
UNI-IR sucks in really cold weather.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
If you have a microdot aimpoint type of optic, buy yourself a riser for $15 on Amazon and shoot with your NV over dominant eye looking through the sight like normal daytime use. Save up for an OTAL later.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I played this game too...

I bought cheap lasers. Wound up buying a couple of them...

When I finally bought a dbal i2 (green/IR) I was amazed. Now that laser lives on my 22lr, and I've got better ones for other thing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
UNI-IR sucks in really cold weather.
View Quote
Luckily I live in TX and really cold weather isn't a thing.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 6:54:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Tried the "step over a dollar to pick up a dime" deal myself over a decade ago. Bought some $150. "cheapie" IR laser to test. It worked about three times.....

Bought a DBAL-I2 not long after, it's been on that rifle since.
View Quote
I bought the UNI IR. My thoughts are I will get an OTAL and then eventually a DBAL.

UNI IR will go on a handgun. OTAL will go on my thermal rifle, and DBAL will be my dedicated NV gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#16]
You can find Streamlight TLR-2 IR/IR go for 150-250 which can mount to a pic rail, then when you save up enough mount the TLR to your pistol.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got the uni IR, the on-off switch drives me crazy... It is so easy to turn on while putting my gun in the case. If you don't check it the batteries would be wore out no time
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've got the uni IR, the on-off switch drives me crazy... It is so easy to turn on while putting my gun in the case. If you don't check it the batteries would be wore out no time
View Quote
Agreed, the switch is a poor design IMHO.  Crimson Trace really hit the nail on the head w/ the rail master.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:13:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I had a Unimax Micro IR on my AR for the last 4 years, just got my OTAL-C this past Friday.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 6:11:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I just picked up a OTAL-C from B&H for 339, replacing an airsoft clone PEQ2 I had. The Steiner is very nicely built, and compared to my PEQ (clone) is half the size. So far I like it. I was happy enough with the PEQ clone except the IR illuminator wasnt worth a shit and didnt want something so big on the rail when I only used the IR laser.

I still wouldnt mind trying the G&P unit though. Curiosity calls.......

Steiner OTAL-C
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just picked up a OTAL-C from B&H for 339, replacing an airsoft clone PEQ2 I had. The Steiner is very nicely built, and compared to my PEQ (clone) is half the size. So far I like it. I was happy enough with the PEQ clone except the IR illuminator wasnt worth a shit and didnt want something so big on the rail when I only used the IR laser.

I still wouldnt mind trying the G&P unit though. Curiosity calls.......

Steiner OTAL-C
View Quote
I have a question for you, are the lasers "off" on the airsoft clone? I know i read that, of course, the lasers were not slaved and could not be individually sighted in. I am also very impressed with the feel and fit of the OTAL-C, now just need to pick up another one for my other rifle.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have a question for you, are the lasers "off" on the airsoft clone? I know i read that, of course, the lasers were not slaved and could not be individually sighted in. I am also very impressed with the feel and fit of the OTAL-C, now just need to pick up another one for my other rifle.
View Quote
Not sure, the illuminator is actually so anemic I dont use it. Its essentially worthless. This is a pretty old unit, newer ones may be better. So I use the PEQ for the IR (Which surprisingly is actually pretty decent) and a Solarforce IR illuminator.

The PEQ will get replaced with the Steiner and I'll continue to use the Solarforce IR flashlight.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You can find Streamlight TLR-2 IR/IR go for 150-250 which can mount to a pic rail, then when you save up enough mount the TLR to your pistol.
View Quote
I have one on my FNP-45 tac and really like it. They're well worth the dough...if you can find one. I lucked into mine on the EE.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Why are they hard to find? Did Streamlight discontinue the IR/IR model?
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Why are they hard to find? Did Streamlight discontinue the IR/IR model?
View Quote
They're still available but not as common as the TLR 2 IRW IR laser/white light.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#26]
I made a thread on here for people running cheap lasers, it’s archived by now.  I have a uni.  It’s ok and can do the job.  But:  pain to sight in look up tricks, plastic so recheck zero often it can get way off but not consistently, I for gots sake don’t remove it after it’s on, did not mind the switch, don’t get the pressure pad or buy mine for $50 but you won’t like it.  It was an ok stepping stone, I knew it at the time and over the 6+ years it has cost me a couple dozen pigs at least.  I tried not rely on it for my safety and I think that was smart.

I just bought a used cqbl I will never go back.  2 weeks ago me and a friend got into 8 pigs running at us, the boar that stopped 12 feet in front of me had the largest tusks I have ever got.  It was wild but the laser put them exactly on target every time and we killed all 8.  Killed 13 collected but likely around 20 total 5 times more than we have ever killed before.   I would have been in trouble with the uni I think.  The mount/dismount t holds zero ever time.  The slaved laser is worth more than I gave it credit.  Not for daytime but for finishing off wounded pigs.  Under night vision you can’t tell exactly how well they can get up.  So I turn on the lights but then aiming is a problem.  It’s spray and pray or shoot from distance and I don’t like either.  My friend wasn’t careful and one from that group got up and was moving half speed to him.  I had the red laser on and it was good night pig.  Could have gone very different.  I won’t use a cheap laser again.  The advantages are just to great.

My go to order of upgrade to the best:  helmet by far, lithium batteries, night vision, laser you could do this second, gun and reliable ammo the one time wolf steel case doesn’t go boom could cost you more than you ever wanted to pay, illuminator I try not to use one, helmet mount, quiet Transport for your area they are used to cars here so truck with lights out or golf cart, thermal.  Those seemed to improve my kill ratio the best and I have all but thermal now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top