Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2018 7:38:28 AM EDT
I just bought an early AE, but the sights are not indexed to the receiver.  It appears that the barrel has been turned in the receiver.  Since I don't have any blocks or action wrenches I am bringing it to a smith.  Anyone know how difficult this job is and maybe an approximate price for this work?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#1]
How far off are the sights?  Are the sights canted to the right or left?  I have seen several guns with canted sights that most likely came from the factory that way.  Not sure what someone would charge but there is more to it than just turning the barrel.

If canted to the right then the barrel will need to be torqued on further and may require removing some material from the shoulder on a lathe.  If canted to the left then the barrel may need to be shimmed.  There's also the matter of possibly recutting the extractor relief and/or modifying where the barrel band screws go depending on how much it needs to go.

This kind of job is not hard for someone with the skill and tools but I would be sure to check their references first.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 1:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How far off are the sights?  Are the sights canted to the right or left?  I have seen several guns with canted sights that most likely came from the factory that way.  Not sure what someone would charge but there is more to it than just turning the barrel.

If canted to the right then the barrel will need to be torqued on further and may require removing some material from the shoulder on a lathe.  If canted to the left then the barrel may need to be shimmed.  There's also the matter of possibly recutting the extractor relief and/or modifying where the barrel band screws go depending on how much it needs to go.

This kind of job is not hard for someone with the skill and tools but I would be sure to check their references first.
View Quote
Thanks.

They are off to the right so it looks like tightening would do the job.  I just don't have the proper tools and have enough wisdom to take it to someone that does.  I'm taking it to a Winchester authorized repair shop in Portland.  Hopefully they can repair it without emptying my wallet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:19:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Barrel loosened from the receiver.  Younger gunsmith had not seen anything like it, but the old guy working with him had seen it before.  Disassembled, timed, torqued with red lok-tite, set headspace and test fired for $150.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top