Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/26/2018 11:32:01 AM EDT
I loaded up 10 rds of 147 gr RMR round nose copper plated bullets and hit the range with my Glock 17 Gen 4 today. This was my first time loading 147gr bullets and I loaded them at 1.135 OAL with 3.8gr of HP38 (Win231). Not sure of the crimp, but it was the same crimp I use for my 115gr. I shot factory WWB 115 gr, and was dead nuts bullseye. 5 rounds almost in the same hole. I put the mag in with the 147gr reloads and every single shot went high / high-left. Tried 124gr Winchester NATO rounds, right back to bullseye, albeit a little hotter. Clearly something is off with my load. Should I seat deeper or longer, try less powder, ease off the crimp? If anybody has experienced similar issues with their Glock 17 and 147gr reloads I'm all ears!
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:35:38 AM EDT
[#1]
that does not sound all that unusual.  different loads will shoot to different spots.  how many inches are we talking?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#2]
At 8 yards, I'd say roughly 2-3" high and left.  I'm a decent shot, picked up a friend's P225 (same range outing) and put 4 shots in one hole using the same factory WWB - so I didn't think it was me.  Just shocked that it was that far off from the 115gr.  Would a tight crimp impede accuracy?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
if you are crimping it so much that it is not headspacing correctly maybe .  how good of a group are you shooting with the ammo.  if you got a 1 inch group going I would say the ammo is GTG.  your load sounds ok for the oal and powder.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 1:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 2:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]
copper plated bullets typically don’t like a heavy crimp

try some jacketed or coated

see what they do at 15-25 yrds
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Have never had 2 differing loads in a semi-auto be that far apart, at that close a range.  Would check the velocity of your 147 grain loads?
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 8:58:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I haven't checked the headspace, but I just measured my crimp.  Was around .376-.377.  I'll back that off a bit.  I also will back off the powder just a bit, and add a little OAL.  I was surprised to see it that much off also.  Definitely didn't do something correct with the load.  I will also bring my chrono with me next time.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Plated just ain't accurate
Hey I just had a deja-vu
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 10:43:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Heavy bullets always shoot high.

If they were to the left, I would guess that is a torque applied to the handgun by the barrel's twist.

The above is mostly a guess based on my own experiences with heavy bullets in handguns - 147 is heavy for a 9mm Luger.

Now, the real question is this - WERE THEY ACCURATE, WAS THE GROUP AS SMALL AS EXPECTED?
Link Posted: 5/27/2018 8:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
3.8 gr HP38 is over max according to the Hodgdon website.   3.4 for a max load with a jacketed bullet so a plated should normally be somewhat lower.

I have always had issues getting HP38 working well with 147 gr.  Better powders out there.  Great for 115 though

EDIT:  Looks like some people use this load but also suggest to use a slower burning powder and that it can be inaccurate.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 7:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Good call on the max powder charge for 147 grain jacketed, and Hodgen's website gives a velocity of only 845 fps.  If the bullets you are using group well but are off from desired poi, might try slower powder for the 147 grainers and get velocity up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Try jacketed 147s?
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:41:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
3.8 gr HP38 is over max according to the Hodgdon website.   3.4 for a max load with a jacketed bullet so a plated should normally be somewhat lower.

I have always had issues getting HP38 working well with 147 gr.  Better powders out there.  Great for 115 though

EDIT:  Looks like some people use this load but also suggest to use a slower burning powder and that it can be inaccurate.
View Quote
There's not alot of official data for hp38/231 for 147gr.  You can find what other people use but the data is all over the map.  I have loaded it up to 4gr with jacketed bullets.  Actually fired a few hundred at that charge out of my suppressed B&T TP9.  There were no high pressure signs.

Ultimately I settled on 3.5 for cast/plated or 3.7 for jacketed.  It works well for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Two things-
leave everything else the same except try a good quality JHP in 147. Hornady and Zero come to mind.

I find my 147's do better pushed a little faster.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

There's not alot of official data for hp38/231 for 147gr.  You can find what other people use but the data is all over the map.  I have loaded it up to 4gr with jacketed bullets.  Actually fired a few hundred at that charge out of my suppressed B&T TP9.  There were no high pressure signs.

Ultimately I settled on 3.5 for cast/plated or 3.7 for jacketed.  It works well for me.
View Quote
That's actually what I ended up doing as well. I'm at 3.6 for cast, and had to go up to 3.8 for plated to get consistent ejection and lock back with my CZ and M&P. Out of my CZ that combo matched POI with my CZ scorpion.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:26:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Oops
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Heavy bullets always shoot high.

If they were to the left, I would guess that is a torque applied to the handgun by the barrel's twist.

The above is mostly a guess based on my own experiences with heavy bullets in handguns - 147 is heavy for a 9mm Luger.

Now, the real question is this - WERE THEY ACCURATE, WAS THE GROUP AS SMALL AS EXPECTED?
View Quote
Torque is correct but not from the barrel twist but rather from the direction your wrist naturally breaks.  I would guess the OP is a right hander as a righty will typically throw heavier recoiling loads to the left and lefties will throw them to the right.  This isn't a 100% thing as it depends on how the gun is held when shooting two handed.  It becomes very apparent when shooting one handed.

Your last question is the one that really needs the answer.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I never could get 147 gr plated bullets to shoot well using a couple of different powders.  I gave up.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I never could get 147 gr plated bullets to shoot well using a couple of different powders.  I gave up.
View Quote
I had to play around with my over all lengths and my taper crimp to get it set right.

I marked witness marks on my dies and my press with a sharpie where I found the sweet spot for length and taper crimp. That way if I have to adjust for anything I can go back to witness marks and know I am at a setting that is a known factor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top