Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2020 12:22:52 AM EDT
We're about to relocate to TX from NC and I'm trying to slim down my firearm footprint. Don't read that as I'm trying to get rid of guns, but rather ditch the monstrous safe they're in, because let's be honest, any safe you get from a big box store like a Liberty or Cannon is just keeping the honest people honest.

What storage solutions am I missing that can keep a few dozen handguns and a couple dozen long guns away from kids? Right now the main purpose of my safe is to keep the kids away and keep the moisture under control (safe is in the garage). Id rather find a solution to keep them inside this time around. I don't know that the house we're going to will have an entire closet that I can use for this purpose, so might have to get creative there. Maybe partition off the master or a guest closet? Not sure yet. Looking for ideas at this point, because google searches for gun storage always brings up nonsense like Bloomberg sponsored BS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 12:27:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I used the space under the stairs.  Relatively large space with access through the back of an adjacent closet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Never put all your eggs in the same basket if possible.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 4:35:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Never put all your eggs in the same basket if possible.
View Quote

Absolutely this. Some get stored at home, other travel with me all the time. You can't stop a determined thief but you can prevent only half of your stuff stolen at one time.

I'm also in for answers. I ditched safes about 2 years ago and I still haven't found a decent way to store everything. Right now it's all in lock boxes so i can easily move it around but also keep the kids out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 8:26:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We're about to relocate to TX from NC and I'm trying to slim down my firearm footprint. Don't read that as I'm trying to get rid of guns, but rather ditch the monstrous safe they're in, because let's be honest, any safe you get from a big box store like a Liberty or Cannon is just keeping the honest people honest.

What storage solutions am I missing that can keep a few dozen handguns and a couple dozen long guns away from kids? Right now the main purpose of my safe is to keep the kids away and keep the moisture under control (safe is in the garage). Id rather find a solution to keep them inside this time around. I don't know that the house we're going to will have an entire closet that I can use for this purpose, so might have to get creative there. Maybe partition off the master or a guest closet? Not sure yet. Looking for ideas at this point, because google searches for gun storage always brings up nonsense like Bloomberg sponsored BS.
View Quote

A Liberty safe with all those big round bolts/lugs is pretty sturdy, heavy, and the tumbler combination lock is prettyhard to crack.  I also bolted mine to the concrete slab from the inside.  They are a chore to move, but I moved mine (36 gun model) to my new house about 10 years ago.  Might still be cheaper to move than remodeling a closet, and a lot more secure.

But, I understand that this may not be feasible for you.  A closet in an interior room might be able to be modified to add a thick solid core or metal door with a deadbolt.  That would give some basic level of protection.  Be sure it is ventilated and has a “Golden Rod” type dehumidifier inside.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Or you could go in the opposite direction in favor of real security and buy a composite TL15, TL30, or TL30x6. Unless your home is burglarized by a team of skilled safe crackers, all your eggs are safe. If you must go with a RSC type safe, bolting it to the floor will help with increase security. And a layered approach of keeping the safe out of sight, having an alarm system, having a dog, locking your doors, etc...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top