Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2018 2:40:22 AM EDT
https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2018/2/6/107-000-repatriated-garands-and-milsurp-1911s-on-cmp-racks/#ixzz56gVhDtGD

U.S.A. –-(Ammoland.com)- The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) said it has received shipment of nearly 100,000 repatriated M1 Garand rifles to replenish nearly depleted stocks of U.S. military surplus rifles sold the past two decades to eligible American citizens. In addition, the Secretary of the Army recently released approximately 8,000 much-anticipated milsurp M1911/M1911A1 pistols to CMP.

“We’re excited to have the guns,” CMP Chief Operating Officer Mark Johnson said. “We’ve been working on getting them for several years, and it’s the first shipment of guns we’ve received in quite some time.”

Loaners come home

The repatriated M1 Garands?about 86,000 from the Philippines and 13,000 from Turkey?went on loan to those countries following WWII under the Military Assistance Program (MAP). Because the rifles technically belong to the U.S. Army, it was up to that organization, not CMP, to seek repatriation. Under the anti-civil rights previous administration, repatriation was never on the table; during those years CMP worked quietly with the U.S. Army, preparing to eventually receive the repatriated rifles and milsurp pistols. Last week’s receipt of the firearms is the culmination of long effort while adopting a wait-and-see attitude by CMP.

Today, the semi-automatic Garands with a fixed capacity of eight rounds are obsolete for military purposes, and they now enjoy collector and “collector-shooter” status among American riflemen, especially for those who participate in CMP As-issued John C. Garand competitions. The U.S. Army, having no use for the repatriated rifles, has turned them over to CMP for subsequent sale to eligible individuals. The practice at CMP is to clean, carefully inspect, and test fire every salable firearm to ensure safe and proper operation. Then, a price is set based upon its overall condition, with a few select rifles garnering higher, collector-status prices.

“We’ve already begun on the Turkish rifles,” Johnson said. “They’re already filtering into the system and there are some on the racks for sale now.” Of note to collectors, he said the Turk and Filipino Garands are indistinguishable from any other M1 Garand. “We haven’t seen any kind of markings thus far, nothing to identify what country has had them,” he said.

Pistols, too

The milsurp M1911/M1911A1 pistols will also go to eligible citizens through CMP sales on a lottery basis. CMP posts eligibility requirements for pistol and rifle purchases on its website; those requirements include proof of U.S. citizenship, participation in marksmanship activities and membership in a CMP affiliated club, as well as passing an FBI NICS criminal background check. In the case of the M1911/M1911A1 pistols, buyers must pass two NICS checks, one at CMP and a second at the Federal Firearms License dealer where they pick up the shipped handgun.

Sales of milsurp arms was historically through the U.S. Army Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) via the NRA. In 1996, Congress closed DCM and chartered the non-profit Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and Firearms Safety (now called the CMP). At that time the Army transferred remaining stocks of surplus firearms and ammunition to CMP to sell for income in supporting itself. Late last year, Johnson said CMP expected to sell the last of those remaining milsurp M1 Garands by 2019; this eleventh-hour receipt of the Garands and M1911/M1911A1 pistols is a big financial shot in the arm for CMP.
More to come?

And while the present 107,000 milsurp rifles and pistols are good news for CMP, collectors and competitors, there is more on the horizon. South Korea has approximately 80,000 M1 Garands and about 600,000 M1 Carbines loaned to that country under MAP. South Korea aborted an attempt to sell those loaned firearms to U.S. importers a few years ago. CMP is hopeful that these will also eventually be repatriated and passed on to the American citizen.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:17:14 AM EDT
[#1]
...600,000 M1 Carbines in South Korea...

That's powerful want right there

This got here from the CMP just today

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I really need to do the paperwork and get a couple ordered.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 4:40:25 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm happy for their fans, but personally I could care less about surp 1911s or garands. What I DO want to see is those 600,000 carbines. Love to have one of those. One of my favorite guns in DoD.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 5:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Are these the "Field Grade" ones I see on the website, or are there better grades coming?
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I DO want to see is those 600,000 carbines. Love to have one of those. One of my favorite guns in DoD.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What I DO want to see is those 600,000 carbines. Love to have one of those. One of my favorite guns in DoD.
Ya I’d like to try my luck again getting another carbine. The last one I got from the CMP was a beautiful WW2 inland with a dog bone stock. I shot it and mechanically it was perfect. But the idiot Italian that had it before me cleaned it to death. The crown is oval and it won’t hit paper
I threw in the back of the safe. Maybe one day when I get time I’ll get the barrel fixed or replaced. Love those Garands and carbines!
Link Posted: 2/11/2018 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Hope they are able to be brought home too!

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#8]
In 1963, the surplus Carbines were being sold for $20. The replies were slowly being sent out with the request for the $20 within 30 days or your application would be cancelled.
I was in Army Basic Training and my mother thought that the letter was an advertisement. Six weeks later when I got home, I found out that "my" carbine was cancelled.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm happy for their fans, but personally I could care less about surp 1911s or garands. What I DO want to see is those 600,000 carbines. Love to have one of those. One of my favorite guns in DoD.
View Quote
So, you DO care..........................
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
...600,000 M1 Carbines in South Korea...

That's powerful want right there

This got here from the CMP just today

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/179834/8BB082B7-BF5B-43FA-A478-7861A9AA0439-446962.JPG
View Quote
Congrats! That is a fine looking rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 9:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Beautiful! Congrats!  Is that a .308 Special?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Did they recently raise prices? I think I was seeing either $630-$730, now $650-$750?
I'm thinking of just getting a .308 special instead if they ever come back in stock (I imagine they must build some since they got 100k guns to work with).
How much were they before they went out of stock?
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:21:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
This isn't General Discussion.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#14]
No it's not...but you quoted the wrong person. The OP brought the carbines to the discussion.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 11:27:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Sooo... the CMP gets a ton more M1's and now Service grades went up $20... :/
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 12:48:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
They had to cover a lot of extra expenses getting the latest batch. That gets passed on. Considering the cheapest gunshow Garand I have seen in ten years was $800 I'm not complaining about a $20 increase in a lower price, that's still lower.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:46:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
How many CMP Garands have you bought over the years?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 10:10:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They had to cover a lot of extra expenses getting the latest batch. That gets passed on. Considering the cheapest gunshow Garand I have seen in ten years was $800 I'm not complaining about a $20 increase in a lower price, that's still lower.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not only that, but with rare exceptions GunShow Garands tend to be overpriced junkers with out-of-spec parts and shot-to-snot barrels.

At least with the CMP grades, you'll have some appreciation for the quality of the M1 you receive, as their armorers check the specs on all the parts in the build, and their barrel grading (MEs & TEs) tends to be fairly accurate.

If all you're after is a great and reliable "shooter" M1  -  not a Safe-Queen/collector specimen  -  the best deal out there is still the CMP Special M1s built on a USGI receiver with either a Criterion .308 or .30-06 barrel, other in-spec GI parts, and new commercial wood (Boyd's or Dupage).

Plus, if for some reason you do receive an M1 with a "problem," CMP and their armorers will fix it for you promptly. That won't happen with any GunShow M1.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 3:33:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The 86,000 M1 repatriated from the Philippines cost the CMP 7 million dollars to bring back. In the GCA Journal they list the problems which were; termite infested crates, leasing and then repairing the boat that could only have the rifles as cargo and asbestos abatement because of the place they were stored.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not only that, but with rare exceptions GunShow Garands tend to be overpriced junkers with out-of-spec parts and shot-to-snot barrels.

At least with the CMP grades, you'll have some appreciation for the quality of the M1 you receive, as their armorers check the specs on all the parts in the build, and their barrel grading (MEs & TEs) tends to be fairly accurate.

If all you're after is a great and reliable "shooter" M1  -  not a Safe-Queen/collector specimen  -  the best deal out there is still the CMP Special M1s built on a USGI receiver with either a Criterion .308 or .30-06 barrel, other in-spec GI parts, and new commercial wood (Boyd's or Dupage).

Plus, if for some reason you do receive an M1 with a "problem," CMP and their armorers will fix it for you promptly. That won't happen with any GunShow M1.
View Quote
How much were the .308 specials before they ran out last time?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
The third M1 I bought, before I knew how easy CMP qualification is, and before I knew any better(First two were a CAI and a reweld) was a 6 digit at a local show. $650, 15 years ago. Emailed CMP the serial, it turned out it was one of theirs, a Greek rack grade, from two years before-and sold by them for $295. That should show the CMP/local market gap.

A good friend of mine now has that rifle, rack grade or not, it's a good shooter. Won't be a match winner but 5 gallon buckets at 400 yards are easy to hit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several years back now, but for mine I believe I paid right about $950 ($1K+ with tax).

As I recall CMP raised the price a bit on these .308 (or '06) Specials to $1050.  When they do another run of them again, it could well be higher.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The third M1 I bought, before I knew how easy CMP qualification is, and before I knew any better(First two were a CAI and a reweld) was a 6 digit at a local show. $650, 15 years ago. Emailed CMP the serial, it turned out it was one of theirs, a Greek rack grade, from two years before-and sold by them for $295. That should show the CMP/local market gap.
A good friend of mine now has that rifle, rack grade or not, it's a good shooter. Won't be a match winner but 5 gallon buckets at 400 yards are easy to hit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As GunShow finds go,  I'd say you definitely got lucky in getting a CMP M1. At least you could order a copy of the paperwork to document that it was one of theirs.  And unless the GunShow seller swapped out the in-spec parts for 'junker' parts (which is known to happen), and the barrel wasn't shot-out, yeah, it should be a decent shooter.

The real question with M1s is: why are you getting one?

Is it just to have a Garand rifle in your personal collection as a NON-shooting piece of U.S. military history, one that you'll eventually pass on to your heirs?

Or do you want a reliable accurate shooter for personal enjoyment at the range, to use in service rifle ('Vintage') matches, or maybe at the JCG match at National Matches at Camp Perry, ... or maybe for hunting (some owners do), or possible SHTF use, etc.?

The answer more or less drives the grade or quality of M1 you want to get.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:19:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Several years back now, but for mine I believe I paid right about $950 ($1K+ with tax).

As I recall CMP raised the price a bit on these .308 (or '06) Specials to $1050.  When they do another run of them again, it could well be higher.
View Quote
Bit rich for my blood, I'll pick myself up a service grade I suppose. I plan on reloading sometime anyways, shouldn't .30-06 and .308 be similar price wise aside from brass for similar power loads?
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:44:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:05:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bit rich for my blood, I'll pick myself up a service grade I suppose. I plan on reloading sometime anyways, shouldn't .30-06 and .308 be similar price wise aside from brass for similar power loads?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Should be, especially if you already have the brass, which I did for both cartridges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top