Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2022 10:11:54 AM EDT
I grew up shooting blackpowder, and have been away from it for over 10 years. I've been wanting to get back into it. I can't swing a custom rifle now, and didn't really want a production gun (I used to own a fine TVM Jeager, so I am a bit spoiled) , so I have been dragging my feet. I had the opportunity to buy a .50 caliber percussion rifle sight unseen, and jumped on it.

It appears to be unfired with a 38.5" barrel. It was completely disassembled and there are no markings on the barrel or elsewhere. Interestingly the barrel is affixed by two screws via the ramrod thimbles, like the old Hatfields and some current Pedersolis. It's got a Maple stock with a bit of character to it. It is definitely a custom job, but no idea where the parts were sourced from. I'm into it for a good bit less than a new Pedersoli, so I figured I'd take a chance. Any idea what I have here?

https://imgur.com/a/Fua6lnD
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea but it is nice. I'd have jumped too. You did good!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 11:03:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow, that is a beautiful rifle!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like she me kind of "southern mountain" rifle?  Good looking, how's it shoot?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like she me kind of "southern mountain" rifle?  Good looking, how's it shoot?
View Quote

The seller is shipping it today, so hopefully it will be here by the weekend. Now I need to start putting together a kit. I'm excited to get back into blackpowder, and can't wait to shoot it!
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wow, that is a beautiful rifle!
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The seller is shipping it today, so hopefully it will be here by the weekend. Now I need to start putting together a kit. I'm excited to get back into blackpowder, and can't wait to shoot it!
View Quote

It really IS an excellent looking rifle.  These long southern cap guns always remind me of the turkey shoot scene from Sgt York.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It really IS an excellent looking rifle.  These long southern cap guns always remind me of the turkey shoot scene from Sgt York.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've always been a big fan of the style. Especially the poor-boy minimalistic ones.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Just got the delivery notification. Probably should have mentioned to the wife that a gun was being delivered today. I'll put out that brush-fire this evening. In my defense, she did agree several months ago that a long-rifle would look good hanging in the living room of our log home.

I was able to find some FFF powder online. I've always used FF in .50 and above, but have read a lot of people use FF for .50 with good results. I plan on starting with 50 grains and working up to find the sweet spot. I also got balls, patches, powder measure, solvent, etc from Track of the Wolf. The only thing I couldn't find online were number 11 caps, but I found a tin of about 50 in the box o' random gun stuff. That'll do until I can find some locally or they come back in stock online. Turns out this is a side-effect of the national primer shortage, as all the manufacturers are focusing on primers. I should be all set to shoot it next weekend though!
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Not my thing but that's pretty nice
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#10]
That stock is nice. Beautiful fiddle back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
That’s a handsome smoke pole you got there.

#nohomo
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Rifle came in and it is nice. Cant wait to shoot it. It definitely seems like either a custom/concept or de-farbed Hatfield. 39" Barrel is only marked "50 Cal". Hammer looks like a standard Hatfield or Pedersoli hammer, but the lock profile looks like a Siler. No other marks on the rifle.

Early Hatfields supposedly had L&R locks and either Green Mountain or Sharon barrels. Later ones were all imported Italian parts from Pedersoli. Apparently quality varied significantly between the versions. The absence of proof marks make me think an earlier version. Any ideas?

Link Posted: 3/22/2022 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks very much like my Pedersoli Frontier rifle.  The stock on your rifle looks exactly like mine.  The lock is also similar, but my Pedersoli lock doesn’t have the brass pan/feature yours has.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 3:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
It looks like a Build Track kit build. Early Tennessee long rifle made in the " poor boy " style. I have the same rifle except in flintlock.  Build Track make top quality kits. Check this link.  

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/605/1/EARLY-TENNESSEE-LONGRIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST

My rifle

Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:51:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Try this forum, I'm amazed at some of the knowledge there, they ID some pretty obscure stuff:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/
View Quote

I actually bought this off a gentleman there!
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That looks very much like my Pedersoli Frontier rifle.  The stock on your rifle looks exactly like mine.  The lock is also similar, but my Pedersoli lock doesn’t have the brass pan/feature yours has.
View Quote

That's what makes me think this is an early Hatfield. When the business went under Pedersoli started making the Frontier, which is a copy of the Hatfield. Later production Hatfields were made with Pedersoli components.
Link Posted: 3/23/2022 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It looks like a Build Track kit build. Early Tennessee long rifle made in the " poor boy " style. I have the same rifle except in flintlock.  Build Track make top quality kits. Check this link.  

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/605/1/EARLY-TENNESSEE-LONGRIFLE-FLINT-PARTS-LIST

My rifle

https://i.imgur.com/Y0nGLfDl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n5mubj3l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cN6QslYl.jpg
View Quote

Beautiful rifle! I don't think mine is a Track kit, but I wish it was. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Mine has the barrel affixed by two screws through the ramrod thimbles. I'm assuming yours has a pinned barrel? Similar style though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top