Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2020 1:14:54 AM EDT
Hello all, I started a thread over in the legal forum, but was directed to ask here instead.

To what extent is it possible for an FFL to import into the United States any of the following types of rifles:

-- AR-15, M16, AR-10 and variants
-- Ruger Mini-14 rifle
-- US Rifle M14 and variants including M1A, etc.
-- Vz58 rifle and a long list of variants
-- Robinson Arms XCR
-- CZ Scorpion EVO 3
-- Beretta Cx4 Storm
-- SIG Sauer MCX and MPX
-- Swiss Arms "classic green" and "four seasons" carbines

I am a Canadian expat now in the United States. As you may know Canada has just implemented a pretty horrific assault rifle ban, and the above rifles are covered by that ban. They are now "prohibited" in Canada, and people who own them have been given two years to dispose of them. Obviously quite a few people will simply choose not to comply at all, and politically, that's probably the right answer. If you're curious, here's the order that banned them in Canada: http://gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2020/2020-05-01-x3/pdf/g2-154x3.pdf

But I am wondering what options there are to sell these rifles in the United States? Assuming that they can be exported legally from Canada, can an FFL actually import them? Say a Canadian sold one to a US resident -- could an FFL process the import and transfer, or are these rifles just not permitted for import into the USA?

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone ???

There's lots of us wanting to know if we can sell these firearms to 'Mericans, before our Gov't forces us to sell our AR's to them & get paid with our own money.

Please save the conjecture, and only reply with sensible answers that might help our cause - not "JUST SAY NO"...

And are firearms made in the USA not exempt from "importation laws", since they were made in your country anyway ?

Thank you in advance.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By J0HN_R1:
Anyone ??? 

There's lots of us wanting to know if we can sell these firearms to 'Mericans, before our Gov't forces us to sell our AR's to them & get paid with our own money.

Please save the conjecture, and only reply with sensible answers that might help our cause - not "JUST SAY NO"...

And are firearms made in the USA not exempt from "importation laws", since they were made in your country anyway ? 

Thank you in advance.
View Quote

01FFL (Dealer) can import "occasionally", but most like me are unfamiliar with the paperwork.
Those licensed as Importers should know the process and be able to fully understand the red tape involved.

That said..........fees charged by US firearms importers aint cheap. Companies that import milsurps deal in the thousands from one foreign source. The paperwork involved on importing one is essentially the same as ten thousand.

I've sent customers to Simpsons Ltd, when they wanted to import Beretta pistols from Australia a few years ago. I believe it was around 20-30 guns and the import fees, customs duty and importer engraving ran right around $100 per firearm.

Every one of the Canada guns, including those manufactured in the US will need to be engraved with the US importers name and location.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 9:12:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Potentially someone could queue up and pool guns until you have thousands. An entire country just banned a number of popular rifles, so while each individual gun owner may not have a lot, in aggregate, this is going to be a lot of guns.

I think right now we are trying to understand WHAT can be imported. Once we know what, the economics can be worked on.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Years ago I helped a customer import his 1911 from Germany to the states.  He did all the legwork finding the exporter and importer, all I did was handle the Form 6.  I think it took close to a full year from start to finish.  It was a big enough pain in the ass that I have no interest in doing another, especially if I have to add in finding the exporters and importers.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
The question here is what is legally possible.

Let me make it simple:

Can an AR15 be legally imported into the United States for sale to a private citizen, or does that fail ATF's definition of a sporting firearm?

If it's the presence of a pistol grip, flash hider, or other feature, can a stripped lower be imported? What about a barrel, separate from the rest of the firearm?

Once we know what is legally possible this isn't going to be a one off request. There will be potentially tens of thousands of rifles and presumably somebody will make a full time job out of this.

But first we need just basic information about whether it's even possible to legally import these kind of guns.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Bueller ?
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2020 9:07:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Legally, you can try the parts kit route.
If behind enemy lines, I’d either have a tragic boating accident all by myself or invite some guys with 81’s tattooed on them for a tragic boating accident on the St Lawrence.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I did import a single Colt pistol from Australia some years ago that a local customer bought online.  I remember doing the import permit, but can't recall much about the process.  It wasn't overly burdensome, but did take a little time to be processed.  It was a semi-auto pistol that was going to be cut up if not sold out of the country at the time.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Retarded that I can buy an ar15 from a gun store but can't import that exact same gun from Canada.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:46:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Retarded that I can buy an ar15 from a gun store but can't import that exact same gun from Canada.
View Quote

This is what happens when you apply logic and reason to EVERY aspect of .gov and our incredibly corrupt political system that is driven by feels.

We are just so fucked.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 10:17:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Canadians hae an 18" barrel law, don't they?
Who wants any of those rifles with 18" barrels
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Canadians hae an 18" barrel law, don't they?
Who wants any of those rifles with 18" barrels
View Quote

I would think there would be a small market for them.  Folks who are looking for a 20 inch barrel might be interested in them.  They are kind of an odd thing, though.  Folks who want a carbine will want a 16 inch.  Folks who aren't concerned about compact size, and want more accuracy over distance will probably want a 20 or 24 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:47:54 AM EDT
[#14]
May be worth it to round up all of the ACR’s, they have been fetching a premium lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top