Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2021 10:39:28 AM EDT
So I just received the last components I needed to start developing my own 50 BMG reloads. I'm currently making surplus rounds to test out - surplus brass, pulled projectiles, and WC860 powder. I'm planning on buying some Hornady A-MAX projectiles to make some "match" ammo for my 50 BMG. I am wondering if it's important to get a commercial powder (H-50 BMG) to take advantage of the accuracy of the A-MAX projectile in 50 BMG? Or, will I notice very little difference in accuracy with using H-50 vs. surplus pull-down WC860 powder with A-MAX? The projectiles cost $4-5 each, so I don't want to be throwing my money away with the wrong powder.

From my research, I know that WC860 is temperature sensitive and this doesn't bother me. And, I'll also be shooting at 300 yards or less as there aren't any long-range shooting ranges around me. So, I don't want to pay about $1 per round for H-50 powder if I can use WC860 for less than half of that. Would H-50 BMG powder really double my accuracy at those distances?

Also note: I'll be using once fired military surplus 50 BMG brass for my A-MAX reloads. Would my money be better invested in purchasing NEW brass cases for my match ammo as opposed to buying better powder?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about double the accuracy but yes H50 is going to give you better results. I know it's expensive but your bullet is twice as expensive as your surplus ones too. Just depends what you want out of your rounds.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
You want maximum performance, use 50BMG powder. I used WC for ball rounds but Hornady 750 gr bullets, I used hodgdon 50 BMG. You will definitely see the difference. Stout sharp powder.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 6:42:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I guess I'll try some canister powder for my "match" loads. H50BMG went out of stock at Midway before I could place an order. The only thing they had left was "Shooters World" 50 BMG D100-01 Smokeless Gun Powder. Per their website, this powder has a slower burn rate than WC860 But, I haven't found any reviews for this powder. So, I have no idea on the accuracy compared to other 50 BMG canister powders.

Does anyone have experience with Shooters World 50 BMG D100-01 Smokeless Gun Powder and A-MAX projectile accuracy? The price is right for only $25 per pound. But, I am hoping the accuracy is similar to H50BMG
Link Posted: 7/31/2021 3:39:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have loaded many 50 bmg with WC867 and I can assure you that the temp sensitive nature of your surplus powder will drive you crazy if you are trying to make match quality rounds.  I do all the anal practices aforementioned and with the right temperature, I can cloverleaf my hits at 100. Yds using api's of all things.  If the temp is off, I'm grouping 3 inches at the same range. I have to admit I've never heard of that powder but   it seems to have similar data as h50bmg.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top