Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 12:11:25 PM EDT
I have a Form 1 application for SBR pending through Silencer Shop.  It’s been close to 2 months now and no approval yet.  I had been doing my own e-filing (on my own trust) when SS was closed to Form 1 applications, but since I have their Unlimited Single Shot Trust, I thought it would be nice to have a separate trust for each NFA item.

Each time I e-filed it on my own, ATF had been very consistent and approved my own e-filed applications in just under a month.  I did it four times on my own.  Now through SS, it has been much slower, and I tempted to do it again on my own.  Would I mess things up if I e-file the same gun on my own again?  Or am I just being too impatient?

I think eventually I’d get my $200 back if one is not approved.

Is it slower now because SS’s applications are clogging ATF?  Or is it because of something else that SS is doing differently than the way I did?

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a Form 1 application for SBR pending through Silencer Shop.  It’s been close to 2 months now and no approval yet.  I had been doing my own e-filing (on my own trust) when SS was closed to Form 1 applications, but since I have their Unlimited Single Shot Trust, I thought it would be nice to have a separate trust for each NFA item.

Each time I e-filed it on my own, ATF had been very consistent and approved my own e-filed applications in just under a month.  I did it four times on my own.  Now through SS, it has been much slower, and I tempted to do it again on my own.  Would I mess things up if I e-file the same gun on my own again?  Or am I just being too impatient?

Is it slower now because SS’s applications are clogging ATF?  Or is it because of something else that SS is doing differently than the way I did?

View Quote

You did the final submission in efile for the SS Form 1, yeah?
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:27:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes. I thought of that possibility too.  But ATF’s website says it is complete and it’s listed as a pending approval, not as a draft.

Not sure why I’m so impatient with this.  I’ve waited 12+ months for my suppressors.

Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes. I thought of that possibility too.  But ATF’s website says it is complete and it’s listed as a pending approval, not as a draft.

Not sure why I’m so impatient with this.  I’ve waited 12+ months for my suppressors.

View Quote

If you've finalized/submitted through eFile, it's done. Via nfatracker.com, eFile form 1 is taking about 40 days. With all the madness going on in the world, expect this not to be accurate and for this to take longer

The SS form 1 is an efile, there is no refund on the $200, its already paid to BATFE and gone.

ETA: With this being said, dont submit your own efile F1 for the same receiver, the application already exists
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a Form 1 application for SBR pending through Silencer Shop. It’s been close to 2 months now and no approval yet.  I had been doing my own e-filing (on my own trust) when SS was closed to Form 1 applications, but since I have their Unlimited Single Shot Trust, I thought it would be nice to have a separate trust for each NFA item.

View Quote

Did you purchased a SBR from SS or just use their filing system? That would be a form 4 for transfer if you purchased a SBR and they would have sent you the paperwork to complete and to send back to them.
Form 1 to manufacture a SBR took me less than 10 business days to get my stamp once they received my prints
Form 4 to transfer a SBR that you purchased are not presently efile and you will probably (friend of mine got his back for a supp' in 4 months) have another birthday before you get the stamp.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did you purchased a SBR from SS or just use their filing system? That would be a form 4 for transfer if you purchased a SBR and they would have sent you the paperwork to complete and to send back to them.
Form 1 to manufacture a SBR took me less than 10 business days to get my stamp once they received my prints
Form 4 to transfer a SBR that you purchased are not presently efile and you will probably (friend of mine got his back for a supp' in 4 months) have another birthday before you get the stamp.
View Quote

He submitted a Form 1 using the SS Form 1 service.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I did the same thing and have an SBR and one of their JK armament form 1 suppressors in the queue. I too am not used to waiting this long for form 1 efiles, but it looks like everyone is suddenly waiting this long now. There was a thread like this on reddit as well yesterday so it's not just you who's suddenly waiting longer than normal.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah I did the same thing and have an SBR and one of their JK armament form 1 suppressors in the queue. I too am not used to waiting this long for form 1 efiles, but it looks like everyone is suddenly waiting this long now. There was a thread like this on reddit as well yesterday so it's not just you who's suddenly waiting longer than normal.
View Quote

Yeah, as mentioned, with the current state of the world due to covid-19, I expect things like F1s and F4s are a bit plugged up. With everything kind of opening back up, it should be coming back to some sense of normalcy
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:00:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

How much, from where, is it worth it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Everything about SilencerShop is slow.  If you paid for their Form 1 service, and filled out all the information, best just wait and they eventually get to it.   If you wanted it done fast, you should have done it yourself from the beginning.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How much, from where, is it worth it?
View Quote
I got the 45 caliber pistol kit. It's configured to work with my rugged obsidian direct thread adapters, in my case for a 10mm kriss sbr. It doesn't have the little notches inside the can itself, so rugged's 3-lug and pistol piston screw in ends won't work. It also works with silencer co threads, and I think they have a self contained 3-lug adapter that could make this work with my 9mm PCCs. The price is not much cheaper than just getting a rugged obsidian, but with efile it's supposed to come back much faster. Covid is seemingly screwing with these best made plans. Can't say how good it is because there's currently no holes in it. :)
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Yep, sitting on two SS Form 1 service that I submit on 4/16. Confirmed with the ATF that they received the submissions and both are pending.

Was looking forward to a ~20 day wait time... here I am at 40+
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm getting the feeling that the ATF is messing with SilencerShop and anyone who used their service. I'm seeing so many efile form 1 sbrs and self made silencers getting approved solidly under 30 days and these SS ones are now at 50 days. This isn't SS being slow, the ATF is holding these up.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Why is the Form 1 service sold out at SS?

Also, do I need this service to eFile a Form 1 through SS if I have purchased the unlimited Single Shot trust?

Edit: This is for making an SBR out of a rifle I already own.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Also, do I need this service to eFile a Form 1 through SS if I have purchased the unlimited Single Shot trust?

View Quote

Sold out just means that they have suspended the service for now.  When efile first started, and SS offered them and ran into problems, they changed the F1 service to “sold out” to keep it there as a placeholder, but prevent anyone from submitting new ones while they worked it out.  When they brought it back recently, I though they had said it was for a limited run.  Maybe same thing.  Just a limited trial to see how the second attempt at this goes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 2:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sold out just means that they have suspended the service for now.  When efile first started, and SS offered them and ran into problems, they changed the F1 service to “sold out” to keep it there as a placeholder, but prevent anyone from submitting new ones while they worked it out.  When they brought it back recently, I though they had said it was for a limited run.  Maybe same thing.  Just a limited trial to see how the second attempt at this goes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When they brought it back in April it was for 1000 customers.
I think, from comments I've seen on the web, they did a second run.
If you want to go the SS route, I'd sign up for the in stock alert. That's how I found out they were "back in stock".

If you're not tied to SS, I'd recommend just doing the e-file yourself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

When they brought it back in April it was for 1000 customers.
I think, from comments I've seen on the web, they did a second run.
If you want to go the SS route, I'd sign up for the in stock alert. That's how I found out they were "back in stock".

If you're not tied to SS, I'd recommend just doing the e-file yourself.
View Quote

I have the unlimited single shot trust with them, so I'd rather work through them. I'm not planning on SBRing for a bit, so I'll wait and see if they come back.

And I signed up for the stock alert.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Honestly it's not worth it. Clearly the ATF is still no "ok" with what they're doing. I'm seeing the usual threads on reddit of lots of people who submitted well after this lot of 1000 getting their stamps back already, just like I did before I tried this through SS.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#18]
@hoodfu

Not okay with SS's single trust for anything, like a Form 4 silencer, or not okay with their Form 1 assist?
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never had any issues or delays on a Form 4 with them. It's their attempts at handling efile form 1's that keep crashing and burning.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've never had any issues or delays on a Form 4 with them. It's their attempts at handling efile form 1's that keep crashing and burning.
View Quote

I wonder why they have issues with the form 1’s?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:39:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been filing on eforms left and right since last September and I do my own version of single shot trust.  They've been getting approved no problem.  Ever since SS got their form 1 process back on line it seems like things have slowed down.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

It has to do with efile.
I dont think you can efile form 4s.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Its ATF in general based on my phone call to them the other day. For efile form 1's they are averaging 60 days right now
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#25]
From my recent experience I have had a few efile form 1s take approx 30 days or less.  Most recent was approved yesterday and filed on 5.9.  60 days average sounds long to me.  In the past I have  cancelled a paper form 1 after three months and filed an efile on the same firearm at the same time I cancelled the paper form.  It  took about 3 months to get the efile form 1 approved and six months to get my refund on the paper form 1.  

There is no reason not to file on your own.  For my past two eform applications I submitted terrible looking fingerprints that I did on my own  and both were still approved within 30 days.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

60 days for all F1s filed in EForms? No chance that’s the average. Every one of the recent ones I’ve seen have been <30 days.

If that’s just those filed through SS, maybe. No idea what those are doing...but it’s a maximum of 1000 submissions.
View Quote

Per what the gentleman with ATF told me over the phone on Wednesday. I personally have a hard time believing it too, seeing as nfatracker.com is pretty good about being close to accurate and what I've heard from others here on arf. I guess we shall see, I'm at 23 days right now on my efile

ETA: I too did it through SS since they had all my information on file already for a suppressor
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I've been seeing endless efiles coming back on reddit, every one is around 30 days, including ones files long after the SS lot of 1000.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't shoot the messenger, just relaying what was said to me from the guy I spoke with. What I see via nfatracker, plus what I've seen here on arf proves the contrary, 60 days is only what I've been told
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
I've had several Eform 1s through SS.  

I do like using them because I can literally sit on the can and file a Form 1 with them when they are available.

They do take longer.  I can live with it.  

Part of it is they are scrutinizing everything.  This is good.  The bad part is they have to do that for all of them.  Then each one has to have prints sent in and each one has to be electronically signed.  I know it's all done on the computer, but surely they have people that have to go through them.  At $35 per form, they are probably just breaking even.

It would probably be an even longer wait if they opened it up to unlimited amounts of forms.

I missed the last batch and only have one more Form 1 I'm going to ever do, so I need to get on it.

But that means:

-  Printing out and scanning the "I've already had an approval lately" letter so they don't have to scruntinize my trust again.
-  Printing out signing and rescanning the responsible person questionaire.
-  That means at least an hour on the crappy Eform website trying to get it to take my files.  
-  Printing out and putting two finger print sheeets in with my cover letter.
-  Making a trip to the PO so that I have tracking on my prints

It usually takes about three hours total so $35 is worth way less than even 1 hour of my time.

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Don't shoot the messenger, just relaying what was said to me from the guy I spoke with. What I see via nfatracker, plus what I've seen here on arf proves the contrary, 60 days is only what I've been told
View Quote

Want to buy a bridge?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've had several Eform 1s through SS.  

I do like using them because I can literally sit on the can and file a Form 1 with them when they are available.

They do take longer.  I can live with it.  

Part of it is they are scrutinizing everything.  This is good.  The bad part is they have to do that for all of them.  Then each one has to have prints sent in and each one has to be electronically signed.  I know it's all done on the computer, but surely they have people that have to go through them.  At $35 per form, they are probably just breaking even.

It would probably be an even longer wait if they opened it up to unlimited amounts of forms.

I missed the last batch and only have one more Form 1 I'm going to ever do, so I need to get on it.

But that means:

-  Printing out and scanning the "I've already had an approval lately" letter so they don't have to scruntinize my trust again.
-  Printing out signing and rescanning the responsible person questionaire.
-  That means at least an hour on the crappy Eform website trying to get it to take my files.  
-  Printing out and putting two finger print sheeets in with my cover letter.
-  Making a trip to the PO so that I have tracking on my prints

It usually takes about three hours total so $35 is worth way less than even 1 hour of my time.

View Quote

Whats being brought to light is that they are evidently taking longer to process on the ATF side of things, not SS.

Quoted:

Want to buy a bridge?
View Quote

If this is in reference to something, I apologize for not understanding it
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 3:15:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:If this is in reference to something, I apologize for not understanding it
View Quote

I just wouldn’t believe everything the monkey on the phone tells you. YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top