Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/21/2018 9:02:54 PM EDT
I know weapon mounted monoculars are no longer in vogue, but how big of an issue is imagine burn with an RDS that has NV settings? Conventional wisdom is if a light source is bright enough to see with the naked eye you shouldn't look at it too long. With my compM4 at the lowest setting I can't see much of anything. Is it a given that I'd eventually burn a big dot into a tube or is my concern overrated?

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 10:24:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If your optic has settings specifically for night vision, it should be fine. Where it gets dicey is when you use optics that don't have NV settings, and even on the low setting you can still see the dot, however faint.

I've used my Aimpoint M4 on NV settings with a mounted mono quite a bit and I don't have any burn in from it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I had an old EOTech with NV settings and it still left some ghost image on my tube.  Nothing a little shoe box burn couldn't get out, but it did leave an image.  Since there are so many variables in RDS type and settings, I wouldn't do it.  At least on a regular basis.

I do it helmet mounted but it moves around enough that occasional passive use with RDS doesn't bother it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top