Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2020 6:34:29 PM EDT
I need some suggestions for inexpensive storage cabinets I can use for my expanding collection of rifles.

Many years ago (like 15?) I purchased several "Homak" cabinets from Sports Authority that worked great for me. I think they were about $100 a piece. I think they were advertised as 8 gun models but I have many more in each - secures with a round key lock at the top and bottom.

I had found a "Sentinel" brand unit at Walmart that I thought would be great for $157 but it looks like its an inventory error and no store has them. I saw Academy Sports has a unit that you assemble yourself that might work, and they are only like $80 each.

Of course, I want units that can store a number of rifles in each one - not just many many cabinets.

I'm looking for suggestions for secure cabinets I can use to store long guns. They aren't meant to be "safes", just something to keep the little kids out of and keep wife happy.

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

David in St. Louis.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Large knack..greenlee... type job boxes did what you are talking about for us for years.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:42:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Have you looked at Stack-On cabinets?
Theyre basic metal locking cabinets that dont seem terribly expensive.  They make a double door one that I think goes up to like 30 guns or something.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Used office equipment Fireproof file cabinets and media cabinets would be good. Shop used office equip warehouses. I saw hundreds of them in an abandoned 37 Story Office building once. Lots of Lawyer, Architects, .gov and CPAs Offices had been in the building.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a metal cabinet from a used office furniture store years ago to store ammo out of the kiddo's reach.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:15:34 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm getting ready to build one out of walnut
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I used old school lockers for my setup. Got them off Craigslist.

No way a “safe”, but kept greasy kid fingers off them, and gave a place to organize
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#7]
A military wall locker would also make a very roomy semi-secure container.

I have one for ammo cans. PITA with no racking to put individual cans on, so they're stacked. But I keep them stacked in order of usefulness to me so it's no problem to access.

Can easily install a rifle or pistol rack, factory or homemade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top