Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2021 11:33:21 AM EDT
I've recently started reloading. I have been using a chargemaster but that isn't the best with some powders. Reloading 30-06 with IMR 4064 results in something like 1/3 of the measures being overweight. So I was thinking of getting a powder measure and using the chargemaster for confirming charges.

For reference I use a RCBS rock crusher. I may update to a turret or progressive press later, so I'd like a measure that works with both.

The powders I'm currently using are IMR 4046 (30-06), IMR 4227 (300 BO), and Varget/Tac (5.56). I may get into 9mm and 380 ACP in the future. Is there a decent powder measure that can give me +- .1 or .2 grain measures with all of those powders?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
For my large rifles, I always load single stage. I also always use a trickler along with a Gempro 250 or a Frankford Arsenal Platinum digital scale. The Gempro is by far the best and has been extremely accurate over the years. I also have a couple Frankfort Arsenal DS-750 digital scales for reloading on the move. They are cheap and accurate if you take your time with them.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:18:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure if you have re-programmed your CM yet.  Changing the perimeters will stop most of your overthrow.  I just got started with one last week and have enjoyed optimizing it.  Youtube is your friend.  I don't use it for ball powders.  Just stick.  Plain ole powder measure will always be the bomb for ball powders.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:00:53 PM EDT
[#3]
IMR-4064 does not throw well from any measure that I am aware of. I have never tried Lee "Perfect" powder measure, but people have reported it works well with extruded powders. It's made of plastic and is very cheap. It might be worth trying simply because it's so inexpensive.

I never tried one because I have a mental block against buying plastic tools of any kind. Old prejudices die hard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually it's mostly aluminum with a few plastic parts.

I saw all the posts about it throwing extruded well and bought one to try for myself.

I've played with mine and it does throw extruded + or - .1 gr.

I will try IMR-4064 next time I have it out.

I bought it to throw 800X, which it does fine. + or - .1 gr.  

My Redding throws flake powder fine until I tried 800X. + or - .4 gr not acceptable for me.

Like any PM you must use good technique to get good results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IMR-4064 does not throw well from any measure that I am aware of. I have never tried Lee "Perfect" powder measure, but people have reported it works well with extruded powders. It's made of plastic and is very cheap. It might be worth trying simply because it's so inexpensive.

I never tried one because I have a mental block against buying plastic tools of any kind. Old prejudices die hard.
Actually it's mostly aluminum with a few plastic parts.

I saw all the posts about it throwing extruded well and bought one to try for myself.

I've played with mine and it does throw extruded + or - .1 gr.

I will try IMR-4064 next time I have it out.

I bought it to throw 800X, which it does fine. + or - .1 gr.  

My Redding throws flake powder fine until I tried 800X. + or - .4 gr not acceptable for me.

Like any PM you must use good technique to get good results.

I have that measure as well and my results are pretty similar to yours.  I have not tried 4064 but I have been loading IMR 4895 and the charges are +/- 0.1 grains.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
have you tried the straw upgrade yet?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Given the good reviews (and the low price) I have ordered a Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got the measure mounted to my table and I ran a pound of powder through it to damp out the static.

What kind of accuracy should I expect?

I'm getting variations of about +-0.3 gr on a load of 47 gr of IMR 4046. 1% should be accurate enough. There's no safety issue as the max load is 52 gr, I would like to be closer if I can be.

Also, will I see the same variance when I load 300 blackout (IMR 4227) or .223 (Varget or TAC)? +-0.3 is a bigger deal with the load is only 10 gr.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:40:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#11]
As others have stated and I will echo, for my large rifles that consume the larger stick powders, I always use my Gempro, trickler and load them all on a single stage press. I for one will not bother with the automatic charge throwers, I find they all tend to have their issues and become somewhat erratic over time. If you want to speed it up a bit and do not require better than +/- .2 grain accuracy you can use the standard Lee Perfect Powder Measures, they are worth the money if you are wanting to load large rifle rounds in a timely manner and do not need ultra precision.

And just an after though. The Lee Perfects are awesome for stick powders, but ball powders forget it, they tend to leak enough to be annoying and make a mess.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Lee PPM ARFcom thread from about 2 years ago - LINK.  Some good information in that thread...  
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 1:16:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/VK4NGh5l.jpg

Edit for correction.
Actually it's all aluminum with a plastic hopper, like all metal PM's.

View Quote

I just received my new Lee Perfect Powder measure from Midway. It's all plastic

Hopefully it works as good as the metal units.

Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#14]
There’s 2 different types of lee ppm’s.  The deluxe is metal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/VK4NGh5l.jpg

Edit for correction.
Actually it's all aluminum with a plastic hopper, like all metal PM's.

Yep, the one I received(and returned) was all plastic and sifted powder out the sides of the drum during use. That was with flake powder.
Complete crap IMHO
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:26:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the help guys
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#17]
A&D FX120i with the auto trickler and auto drop. Love mine
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:36:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#19]
@dryflash3

Thanks for the links. I did the tap to settle trick and installed a baffle (drilled prescription bottle lid) and was able to throw five 47.0 gr charges in a row. (Still need to work on my technique though.)
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 4:14:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top