Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2020 10:20:29 AM EDT
Help me decide.

I've shot the Galil. First shot, six inch plate at 200: ding. Nice. Pricey though.

I've not held the RMW pistol or rifle but they look pretty slick and Ron is extremely easy to work with. The cost would be half of the Galil.

Does anyone have any experience with the RMW weapons? Or thoughts between the two calibers?

Many thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Help me decide.

I've shot the Galil. First shot, six inch plate at 200: ding. Nice. Pricey though.

I've not held the RMW pistol or rifle but they look pretty slick and Ron is extremely easy to work with. The cost would be half of the Galil.

Does anyone have any experience with the RMW weapons? Or thoughts between the two calibers?

Many thanks.
View Quote

I have several of his guns/uppers I assume by the X25 you mean the tok? If so I have one Ron built for my dad and between  my dad and nephew they have run about 4000 rounds thru it and both love it. Very accurate and 0 recoil. Ron is local to me and I also have shot alot of his uppers on his FA lower, all were 100% reliable.  While not the tok, here is a video of his DI 9mm FA.
DI 9mm Full Auto
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 3:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks 475AR10.

I have five or six cases of X25 so that's where I'm headed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:57:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear ya, I think I still have 3-4 my self, wish I could find it again for the $ I paid for a tin back when I bought it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 10:16:51 AM EDT
[#4]
After much deliberation, I ordered a 7.62x39 Galil ACE pistol. Plan is to run it suppressed.
I’ll report back my thoughts when I get range time with it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Tagged.......the x39 galil ace pistol is definetly on my short list.

Please posts pics and a review once you get a chance.

Congrats!
Link Posted: 4/12/2020 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#6]
If I had Ron build me a braced 10" or so in X25 I could put a short AR upper on it, right.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
@themao

Get that Galil yet?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:03:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After much deliberation, I ordered a 7.62x39 Galil ACE pistol. Plan is to run it suppressed.
I’ll report back my thoughts when I get range time with it.
View Quote

Just an FYI...that ain't gonna work with the factory piston.  The X39's consistently run so fast suppressed that they override the magazine and fail to feed.  --I'm assuming you're talking about the very-short ACE pistol, here (the longer gas systems will run suppressed, you just won't like shooting them).  I believe we ran into this issue even with 'loose' cans like the Wolverine that don't have much backpressure; the guns are just very overgassed from the outset.

KNS makes an adjustable piston that solves the issue nicely, and unlike AKs, Galil uses a coil-spring pin to hold pistons on instead of those pain in the ass flush rivets.

Also consider their 'plastic delete' mod at some point, to shed that ugly, bulky plastic IWI slapped all over what is essentially still a Micro-Galil underneath.  The plastic is needed for the AR magwell on the 5.56 guns, but the x39's have the same riveted-on paddle catch as any AK, and the plastic is simply a mostly cosmetic funnel for the magwell.

Lastly, when (not if) you SBR/brace the thing, they also make a couple stock adapters that let you avoid the stupidly heavy IMI stock (I swear it's like they used a solid bar of aluminum for the M4-esque 'buffer tube' or something).  The MPX skeleton stocks set up to fold on the right side were a really cool pairing back when you could get them.

I believe you can also put one of those nice ALG triggers in them (though you'll also want a good electro optic or much finer front sight post if you want to do precision shooting)

I personally think the Galil is a fat tank for what it's doing, and is fundamentally hamstrung by an antiquated design, but it's a better sow's ear to build a silk purse from than anything that won't have to be highly modified from the ground up as a 2000$ custom build.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HK_DUDE:
@themao

Get that Galil yet?
View Quote

No, still waiting. Dealer explained that the distributor had 1/2 staff and 12,000 orders to fil

Edited to add: They were out of the rifle version FYI. I know Atlantic had them in stock but I wanted to help my local guy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

Just an FYI...that ain't gonna work with the factory piston.   The X39's consistently run so fast suppressed that they override the magazine and fail to feed.  --I'm assuming you're talking about the very-short ACE pistol, here (the longer gas systems will run suppressed, you just won't like shooting them).  I believe we ran into this issue even with 'loose' cans like the Wolverine that don't have much backpressure; the guns are just very overgassed from the outset.

KNS makes an adjustable piston that solves the issue nicely, and unlike AKs, Galil uses a coil-spring pin to hold pistons on instead of those pain in the ass flush rivets.

Also consider their 'plastic delete' mod at some point, to shed that ugly, bulky plastic IWI slapped all over what is essentially still a Micro-Galil underneath.  The plastic is needed for the AR magwell on the 5.56 guns, but the x39's have the same riveted-on paddle catch as any AK, and the plastic is simply a mostly cosmetic funnel for the magwell.

https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/FDS_4563.jpg

Lastly, when (not if) you SBR/brace the thing, they also make a couple stock adapters that let you avoid the stupidly heavy IMI stock (I swear it's like they used a solid bar of aluminum for the M4-esque 'buffer tube' or something).  The MPX skeleton stocks set up to fold on the right side were a really cool pairing back when you could get them.

I believe you can also put one of those nice ALG triggers in them (though you'll also want a good electro optic or much finer front sight post if you want to do precision shooting)

I personally think the Galil is a fat tank for what it's doing, and is fundamentally hamstrung by an antiquated design, but it's a better sow's ear to build a silk purse from than anything that won't have to be highly modified from the ground up as a 2000$ custom build.
View Quote

Correct. The reason I never initially jumped on the Galil was because it is over gassed. As soon as KNS gets them back in stock, I will be ordering the KNS piston.

I ordered the pistol Galil (8.5” barrel) for the reasons mentioned above. My plan would be to mount an OSS suppressor, and I will order one after I try the ACE. I may throw my Surefire Genesis on there for fun with the KNS piston.

I agree with most of your other comments. The KNS lower is desirable. Not a huge fan of anything Sig, especially their wire stocks/braces. I was going to try the IWI brace first. Weight should be helpful considering the recoil.

Another reason to do the KNS lower and piston, along with an ALG trigger, would be for 922R compliance in the event I choose to SBR it.

Nothing wrong with the Galil being a fat steel tank considering the world of plastic guns we live in.

Will report once I get it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 1:06:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Also waiting, trying not to blow my cash on something stupid!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Why not a 9" bren 2?

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 9:19:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Jeez O Man.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Just got mine today. Will shoot it next week. Impressions:

- Smoothest action of any AK I’ve ever encountered
- Very nice trigger. I don’t have a scale but it feels 5.5 lbs with a nice reset
- It is hard to take the top cover off since it is so tight
- Weight is not that bad

I’ll post a range report Memorial Day weekend. I think I made a good decision. I’ll try to install the KNS gas piston as well.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By themao:
Just got mine today. Will shoot it next week. Impressions:

- Smoothest action of any AK I’ve ever encountered 
- Very nice trigger. I don’t have a scale but it feels 5.5 lbs with a nice reset
- It is hard to take the top cover off since it is so tight
- Weight is not that bad

I’ll post a range report Memorial Day weekend. I think I made a good decision. I’ll try to install the KNS gas piston as well.
View Quote

Yeah I don't know why they didn't take the opportunity to make a top cover tensioning latch vs. just force-fitting it in place.  Jehovah help whoever has to service their gun under duress.  At least the rail is fairly repeatable from what I've seen.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By themao:
Just got mine today. Will shoot it next week. Impressions:

- Smoothest action of any AK I’ve ever encountered 
- Very nice trigger. I don’t have a scale but it feels 5.5 lbs with a nice reset
- It is hard to take the top cover off since it is so tight
- Weight is not that bad

I’ll post a range report Memorial Day weekend. I think I made a good decision. I’ll try to install the KNS gas piston as well.
View Quote

Im really impressed with the KNS piston. I use it on a WBP Mini Jack 10 inch, and it shoots softer than my AR suppressed. It's very impressive. I will buy more for my other AKs.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:33:52 PM EDT
[#17]
By the way, IWI Galil ACE  pistol braces are back in stock:

https://iwi.us/product/galil-ace-stabilizing-brace/

I just ordered mine
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
Why not a 9" bren 2?

https://i.imgur.com/MlcAoMy.jpg
View Quote

The ACE uses AK mags. It’s as simple as that for me at least
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:48:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

The Cure - Friday I'm In Love

Yes, Friday I’m in love.

I actually like the stock handguard. Acts as a heat shield. I found the pistol to be quite controable with the brace as well, when applying appropriate technique. Very VERY smooth. Smoothest AK i’ve ever shot besides a Valmet M76 (and I think the ACE tops it). I only shot 25 yards in at my outdoor pistol range. It’s dying for an Aimpoint, but I date say I can probably put a 1-4x optic on it.

I have to add the KNS gas piston next. Not sure if I want to put on the KNS plastic delete kit, but it would allow me to add a 922R part. Last, should I bought turning this into a SBR or not? It runs pretty darn well with the brace. A stock would be nice though, since I could add a cheek riser for running an optic.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Do they make a triangle brace that would work with this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top