Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2018 6:52:55 PM EDT
As most know, if you are in the business of making firearms you probably have to register for ITAR. Sporting Shotguns being one well-known exception. Well, State is proposing a rule that would eliminate the registration requirement for commercial firearms and ammo.

This rule will revise Categories I, II, and III of the United States Munitions List to include those items that provide the United States with a critical military or intelligence advantage or otherwise warrant control at the highest level. Removed from Category I and III are commercially available firearms and ammunition, which in most cases are available for purchase at retail establishments across the United States and around the world. These firearms and ammunition, as well as other items removed from the United States Munitions List, will continue to be controlled for export under the Commerce Control List of the Bureau of Industry and Security at the Department of Commerce. Transition from control under the United States Munitions List to the Commerce Control List will result in a net reduction in regulatory burden for the affected manufacturing and export community. Under the International Traffic in Arms Regulations, U.S. manufacturers and exporters of defense articles on the United States Munitions List are required to register with the Department of State's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls and pay an annual registration fee. Under the Export Administration Regulations, there is no comparable registration requirement or fee for items on the Commerce Control List.  Therefore manufacturers and exporters of only items transitioned from the United States Munitions List to the Commerce Control List, such as most commercially available firearms and ammunition, will no longer be required to register or pay a fee as part of compliance with U.S. export controls.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaViewRule?pubId=201710&RIN=1400-AE30
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#1]
....go on, we're listening!!

I'm sadly old enough to recall the happy days pre-ITAR.
Ah, them was the days, them was...
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/new-export-rules-for-firearms-and-46305/

On May 14, the Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) in conjunction with the Department of State’s Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) issued newly proposed rules regarding export classifications of firearms, guns, ammunition and related articles.

The BIS proposal describes certain articles determined to no longer warrant control under the USML in Category I (Firearms, Close Assault Weapons and Combat Shotguns), Category II (Guns and Armament), and Category III (Ammunition/Ordnance), that would be transferred to control under the CCL.  BIS and DDTC concluded that these articles were either not inherently for military use or do not warrant the obligations imposed under the ITAR. In addition, articles subject to the transfer were determined to not provide a critical military advantage to the U.S., are not the types of weapons that are almost exclusively available from the U.S., and are manufactured from technology that is widely available.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:15:35 AM EDT
[#3]
very interesting.  Thanks.

How do we keep abreast of the follow-up ?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 12:04:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: very interesting.  Thanks.

How do we keep abreast of the follow-up ?
View Quote
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/Trump-to-remove-ITAR-fees/5-2110531/?page=1

There is a bit of information to follow there as well.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 11:48:14 AM EDT
[#6]
OK the rule is finally published. The comment period is only 45 days, expiring on July 9. Here is link:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOS_FRDOC_0001-4527

Action
Proposed rule.

Summary
The Department of State (the Department) proposes to amend the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) to revise Categories I (firearms, close assault weapons and combat shotguns), II (guns and armament) and III (ammunition and ordnance) of the U.S. Munitions List (USML) to describe more precisely the articles warranting export and temporary import control on the USML. Items removed from the USML would become subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).

Dates
The Department will accept comments on this proposed rule until July 9, 2018.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
OK the rule is finally published. The comment period is only 45 days, expiring on July 9. Here is link:

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOS_FRDOC_0001-4527

Action
Proposed rule.

Summary
The Department of State (the Department) proposes to amend the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) to revise Categories I (firearms, close assault weapons and combat shotguns), II (guns and armament) and III (ammunition and ordnance) of the U.S. Munitions List (USML) to describe more precisely the articles warranting export and temporary import control on the USML. Items removed from the USML would become subject to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).

Dates
The Department will accept comments on this proposed rule until July 9, 2018.
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey man thanks for that link I signed up over there at that form lots of good information lots of good Insider scoops on the industry!

Thanks !!
Link Posted: 1/26/2019 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Any update on this?
Link Posted: 2/8/2019 7:32:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any update on this?
View Quote
Not published yet, but it appears the final rule is complete

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/white-house/new-trump-rules-make-it-easier-u-s-gun-makers-n968601

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-trump-rules-make-it-easier-for-us-gun-makers-to-sell-overseas/ar-BBThwkW?OCID=ansmsnnews11
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
lol

Did you see at the end of the article where it said "Thanks to Renegade for the tip!" Everything in that article I posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/11/2019 10:45:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

lol

Did you see at the end of the article where it said "Thanks to Renegade for the tip!" Everything in that article I posted in this thread.
View Quote
I did see where they gave you a shout out
Link Posted: 2/12/2019 12:50:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

lol

View Quote
Thank you Renegade for keeping us updated!
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Anyone have any updates on this?  My Google-fu is weak and I'm not finding anything.  I have my FFL application in front of me ready to go!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 5:33:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I am looking at getting an 06/07.  To make sure I understand, it no longer requires registration under instruction #11 or no longer pay the fee?

11. Manufacturing - Generally, persons holding a manufacturer’s license (FFL Type 06, 07 or 10) must register as a manufacturer with the Department
of State unless exempted by the Directorate of Defense Trade Control (DDTC), regardless of whether the manufacturer actually exports any of the
items manufactured. Therefore, applicants intending to manufacture and/or export defense articles, as defined on the United States Munitions List
(Part 121 of the ITAR), may need to register with Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC). Questions should be directed to the DDTC
at 202-663-2980 or www.pmddtc.state.gov.
Link Posted: 4/3/2019 8:49:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone know if there are updates or a timeline?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top