Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2018 12:03:14 PM EDT
Too much time here made me jump on a WP PVS14.  I'll use mine mostly to walk around my 63 acres and look at critters, likely taking a few shots at beavers in the pond at night.  An IR laser will be down the road a bit.  Right now, just wanting to get the 14 mounted on my head.

I initially thought about the night cap, but I think I'm scrapping that idea for an actual helmet.  Seems the ops core bump helmet is pretty widely recommended so I'll probably do that.

What else will I need?  What sort of mount would you folks suggest for my intended use?  I've read so much, I'm overwhelmed.

I also wear glasses by the way, which I need to be able to see so I'd need something with enough adjustment to push the PVS14 away from my lenses.  I don't expect to be running around, mostly walking and still shots, budget friendly is appreciated.  That said, I'm already about 3500 into this impulse buy.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What else will I need?  What sort of mount would you folks suggest for my intended use?  I've read so much, I'm overwhelmed.
View Quote
I flew with nvgs for 20 years and used the mil ground stuff (socom binos).

after reading all the threads I could find, I went with a wilcox L4 shroud ($60), a used rhino mount  ($35 on EE) and the j arm.

Is that the best-nope, but it is the cheapest at 100.

now I can use them, and figure out what/if I need anything else.

I see no reason on dropping 400-800 on a special mount/j arm just to putz around with it. You can always upgrade later after you know what you want.

I plan on a dovetail mount/bino's later but I wanted cheap/quick/now

YMMV
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a rhino ii for around $55 and the go to tnvc and get the pvs-15 dovetail Mount that can easily be modded to fit on the rhino ii.

Around $100 and you’ve got a great dovetail Mount.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Ops core bump with a lux liner. You can find good deals on the lux on eBay.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:55:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Rhino II os the best bang for the buck and has vertical adjustment that the standard Rhino lacks. You definitely need a retention lanyard to keep your shit from hitting the deck which can be a simple shoe string with Nite Ize carabiner for under 7.00 Also if your running the standard J Arm a piece of shock cord tied under the release lever helps from accidentally disconnecting your J Arm from the lowering Arm. When money allows buy a Norotos PVS 15/18 dovetail socket 56.00 and a dual dovetail adapter 150.00 which will give you a solid lock up with no slop which plagues all J Arms with the exception of the IC J Arm.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m new to nv also. Just got my PVS-14 yesterday. I have the skull crushed that I ordered with it and a rhinoII. I definitely prefer the rhino. I have knocked the monocular off the mount several times trying to adjust stuff so absolutely put a pice of para cord on it before you do anything!
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, I also bought an air soft helmet because I blew my budget but wanted to try a helmet. It’s pretty nice for $45. I will upgrade later but for now it’s working.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, I also bought an air soft helmet because I blew my budget but wanted to try a helmet. It’s pretty nice for $45. I will upgrade later but for now it’s working.
View Quote
For @ 60.00 you could have bought a Crye Night Cap
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IIRC the nightcap doesn't come with a shroud so that would be an additional cost.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What ever helmet,  splurge for the 4D pads, you'll never regret it!
View Quote
Statement of the year here. It’s like magic. I cannot stress enough how much better these are than anything else.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 5:08:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just got a set of these last week.  HUGE improvement over the pads in my bump
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Hmm Delux or standard?
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I have a Rhino 2, Princeton Tec MPLS, DLP tactical counterweight kit on order.

Went to TNVC and ordered the Ops Core Fast bump helmet and the 4D pads.  Now, I just have to hope everything gets here.  I'd like to have it all in by Thursday.

I think I'm all squared away now with the exception of an IR illuminator down the road and and an IR laser.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me just say...HOLY SANTA CLAUS SHIT.

This thing is my new favorite thing.

I opened it up and headed right to the basement.  I had the "holy shit this is awesome" reaction.  It was day time.  I looked around for a while, noticed I could read paper with it.  Damn.

Then I came upstairs and noticed I had the lens cap on.  Went back down stairs.  HOLY SANTA CLAUS SHIT.

Worth.  Every.  Damn.  Penny.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Let me just say...HOLY SANTA CLAUS SHIT.

This thing is my new favorite thing.

I opened it up and headed right to the basement.  I had the "holy shit this is awesome" reaction.  It was day time.  I looked around for a while, noticed I could read paper with it.  Damn.

Then I came upstairs and noticed I had the lens cap on.  Went back down stairs.  HOLY SANTA CLAUS SHIT.

Worth.  Every.  Damn.  Penny.
View Quote
Hahaha that's awesome! Sounds like you're really enjoying it! Now get all your friends to follow suit!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top