Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 4:07:04 PM EDT
I haven't seen the tax stamp but got to shoot a AR15 conversion that has a small "IRS" stamped on it.  Did the IRS ever turn any back in so they could be transferred to the public?  This is a families conversion and wasn't something I saw at the range.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 4:24:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope it is a legal conversion..  
I'm assuming you asked that family who owns it about it?  If they don't know and want more info about it, they can submit a FOIA to the ATF.  It will take months for them to respond, and the documentation they give you might be redacted, but it might give you/them an idea of the history.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Most likely, the gun was registered when the ATF was part of the IRS.  From what I remember reading, they gave out serial numbers beginning with "IRS" when a gun was being registered and the original serial number couldn't be used for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#3]
This stamp is by itself, and really small.  I will be headed out that way this year and will find out more and get some pics.  I never bothered to ask who was the manufacture on the form.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the machine guns I’ve heard about that have IRS serial numbers are ones which had their original serial numbers obliterated, prior to the gun being registered and legal.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top