Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2020 10:09:27 PM EDT
What is everyone using for a helmet mounted IR strobe? Hunting and shooting at night with friends. Starting a new rule where all of us has an IR strobe. Most of my friends have the helstar 6s.  They seem to be pretty pricey but that is fine if they offer that much more features and quality.  I really don’t have any experience with anything else.

Is it worth the $175 or are there other strobes out there that can do the job just as good or close for less?

Also, which model do you recommend if I do go with the Helstar...

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I run a hellstar now, but for years I ran an air soft knock off. Worked fine. Like 40 bucks on eBay. Always an option if you want to be cheap.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several kinds, none pricey.

I usually stick with a Phoenix Jr and I soldered wires to it and it runs to a 9V in my mohwak.

I made some Phoenix Jr copies using 555 timers. It was fun, but not good enough IMO.

The others I have just sit in my NV stuff.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:36:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's just for hunting, I wouldn't even bother. Just get a Cejay Phoenix JR that plugs into the top of a 9v and velcro that to your helmet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2020 11:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is everyone using for a helmet mounted IR strobe? Hunting and shooting at night with friends. Starting a new rule where all of us has an IR strobe. Most of my friends have the helstar 6s.  They seem to be pretty pricey but that is fine if they offer that much more features and quality.  I really don’t have any experience with anything else.

Is it worth the $175 or are there other strobes out there that can do the job just as good or close for less?

Also, which model do you recommend if I do go with the Helstar...

Thanks in advance
View Quote
Yes, the more expensive Hel-Star 6 is worth it IMO. I’ve run Phoenix JRs, VIP, Hel-Star 4, Manta, and others. The HS 6 has the best switches and easiest to use.

The 620-01 and 620-02 models I think are the most versatile. The Manta has a bright IR strobe but it’s too bright to use around others. The HS 6 dim IR flash or steady dim IR works better around others. I use the Manta on my dog’s harness because I can see his ass far away.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I run a Glo-toob IR which is extremely bright. I run velcro around it so I can control the amount of light output and also to secure it to my helmet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:13:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I run a Glo-toob IR which is extremely bright. I run velcro around it so I can control the amount of light output and also to secure it to my helmet.
View Quote
Thank you. I’ll be picking up a couple of these soon. Never heard of them, perfect for my intended usage.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Yea, Nitecore NU05MI ^^^ is the the ticket - $25. If you need more than the 3/6hr Beacon, or 18/20hr Strobe - it'll run off an external power supply too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:13:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thank you. I’ll be picking up a couple of these soon. Never heard of them, perfect for my intended usage.
View Quote
They make an AAA and a CR123A model.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yea, Nitecore NU05MI ^^^ is the the ticket - $25. If you need more than the 3/6hr Beacon, or 18/20hr Strobe - it'll run off an external power supply too.
View Quote
Can you elaborate on the external power supply for this please?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
I assume he means a rechargeable power pack for a phone or tablet since the strobe would share the same usb connection.

I'm trying a ms2000 now, but that one for 25 bucks isn't a bad deal at all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:20:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I assume he means a rechargeable power pack for a phone or tablet since the strobe would share the same usb connection.

I'm trying a ms2000 now, but that one for 25 bucks isn't a bad deal at all.
View Quote
Ahhh I gotcha, I have an ms2000 as well and aside from being mildly bulky it works good. The nite core seems like a steal at $25 compared to other offerings
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:27:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I've used phoenix JR's with Velcro for cheap, Phoenix cr123 model is good as well. I use S&S Manta now though. Much better. The vibrate function is nice because you can easily tell if it is on or off. Also can be switched to Visible if needed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I really like my nitecore. Very small and light. It will also come out of the mount and can be clipped to molle etc. For $25 is a good option. I also have one of the 9V Phoenix. A little Velcro on the battery and it can be stuck to your helmet. Only thing I don’t like about the Phoenix is no on/off switch. Fine if you are outdoors. But a pain if you are getting in and out of a vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 9:54:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea, he got it right ^. It is designed to work while it is being charged, so if you *really* needed weeks long power for it, you could grab one of those small, cylindrical power supplies that look like a roll of pennies, and plug it in while on the helmet.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I use a phoenix JR cr123 with their rubberized velcro-on enclosure.  It attaches to my helmet by velcro, uses cr123s which is common to all my other lights/lasers/NODs, and is only $45.

I can store the battery in the "off" position by putting it in upside down.  Just flip the battery to turn it on and that can be done without taking the strobe off the helmet.

I'll upload a picture tonight.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:28:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's just for hunting, I wouldn't even bother. Just get a Cejay Phoenix JR that plugs into the top of a 9v and velcro that to your helmet.
View Quote
This is what I do

I keep the Phoenix and a battery in my mohawk. When I need it, I connect the battery and stick it in top of my helmet. Velcro on the battery to stick to the mohawk. When I'm done, unplug and back to into the mohawk pouch
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#18]
I use a Adventure lights IR Guardian. The nitecore looks really nice, but I think it falls short on the battery life.

The IR Guardian is 250 Hours Minimum Strobe, 100 Hours Minimum Constant.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I use a Adventure lights IR Guardian. The nitecore looks really nice, but I think it falls short on the battery life.

The IR Guardian is 250 Hours Minimum Strobe, 100 Hours Minimum Constant.
View Quote
How easy is it to take the battery out to replace or flip?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 3:06:43 PM EDT
[#20]
I have the Nitecore and really like it for the included mounting options and price with a small size. Additionally it can be run off a remote battery if needed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:21:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

How easy is it to take the battery out to replace or flip?
View Quote
It's pretty easy. Just unscrew the clear/tinted part of the light. The one thing I wish it had is a more positive feel for on or off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Nitecore NU05 is the hotness.  Get two if needed.

It's also proof that not everything in this game has to have a pathetically unsubstantiated NV-tax associated with it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:52:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It's also proof that not everything in this game has to have a pathetically unsubstantiated NV-tax associated with it.
View Quote
Hahahaha! Never thought of that - just get 2 for $50! And also - 18 hours IR Strobe is like one, full, 12hr winter night plus 6 hrs - or two, full, 8hr summer nights plus 2hrs - that's some humping.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I thought about trying one but I already have a bunch of IR strobes. I’ll probably get their red/white visible version.

Is it easy to use with one hand while on the helmet? I watched the Nitecore video and it looked like you had to press the button a couple of times to turn it on, go past green, and wait for it to go into IR mode.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I thought about trying one but I already have a bunch of IR strobes. I’ll probably get their red/white visible version.

Is it easy to use with one hand while on the helmet? I watched the Nitecore video and it looked like you had to press the button a couple of times to turn it on, go past green, and wait for it to go into IR mode.
View Quote
Nah, it's easy - long press always turns it on in IR Strobe mode (rapid red light for 3 seconds). Then to verify/change modes, quick press - it'll tell you the mode (3 seconds rapid=strobe, solid=beacon), then press again to go to IR Beacon. Press, Press gets you to Green Strobe, single press get's you Green Beacon. Long press for off. Sounds harder than it is:

Long press on to IR Strobe > Press, press to IR Beacon > Press, press to Green Strobe > Press to Green Beacon >Long press off.

I've got the LE one too just because it was like $14 on BF - that one is less intuitive to use.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#26]
That NiteCore looks great too.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:30:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Nah, it's easy - long press always turns it on in IR Strobe mode (rapid red light for 3 seconds). Then to verify/change modes, quick press - it'll tell you the mode (3 seconds rapid=strobe, solid=beacon), then press again to go to IR Beacon. Press, Press gets you to Green Strobe, single press get's you Green Beacon. Long press for off. Sounds harder than it is:

Long press on to IR Strobe > Press, press to IR Beacon > Press, press to Green Strobe > Press to Green Beacon >Long press off.

I've got the LE one too just because it was like $14 on BF - that one is less intuitive to use.
View Quote
That’d be easy for strobe only use. Switching modes while on the helmet between vis/IR sounds like it could be a PITA though. I’m sure once using it, it’s not that bad. I guess I’m old school, I prefer switches & knobs, lol.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That NiteCore looks great too.
View Quote
I still need to buy a few.

This would be legit for the dog collar.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#29]
The Helstar 6 is awesome. I have one of those and a Manta. Both are good, but the Manta is a little brighter. I used to like the Helstar a lot better because the plastic cap on the Mantas sucked, but it looks like they are coming with metal caps now. I actually contacted S&S Precision about it and they sent me a metal cap for free.

TLDR: Helstar 6 and S&S Precision Manta are both great strobes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The Helstar 6 is awesome. I have one of those and a Manta. Both are good, but the Manta is a little brighter. I used to like the Helstar a lot better because the plastic cap on the Mantas sucked, but it looks like they are coming with metal caps now. I actually contacted S&S Precision about it and they sent me a metal cap for free.

View Quote
I am a big fan of Helstar 6's

They have that new ish LEO version too that does not have the White strobe since it is generally not needed for civ applications. Has Red and Green if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I need to send them a message. My cap is broken and my helmet has never even been dropped.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 11:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the replies guys.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#33]
Most dealers now-a-days have an inventory of programmable Hel-Star 6's and do the coding based on the model they want so I think they can change it again down the road.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Anybody have an opinion on the S&S V-lite? Looking at that and the Nitecore. Here’s what I can tell:

V-lite:
-appears to be more low profile
-120 hour battery life. Not rechargeable and no batteries. Throw away once it dies

Nitecore:
-bulky
-20 hour battery life but it is rechargeable
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 1:54:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here’s what I can tell:

Nitecore:
-bulky
View Quote
The NU05 is 30mmx30mmx15mm Thick. The mount isn't much bigger and it's handy as heck - but the strobe itself has a MOLLE clip on the back if you wanted a super tiny strobe. In the mount, it sits ~25mm above the base of the helmet

The V-Lite is: 111mm(Long) x 28.5mm(Wide) x 13mm(Thick)
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Anybody have an opinion on the S&S V-lite? Looking at that and the Nitecore. Here’s what I can tell:

V-lite:
-appears to be more low profile
-120 hour battery life. Not rechargeable and no batteries. Throw away once it dies

Nitecore:
-bulky
-20 hour battery life but it is rechargeable
View Quote
The V-Lite is also stupid easy to use. Nitecore is a bit more complicated to click through the modes, but it's definitely not bulky. I've thought about dremeling off the molle clip on the back and putting some sticky velcro hook on one - they're really quite small.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I need to send them a message. My cap is broken and my helmet has never even been dropped.
View Quote
Yep, I've had two of them and both caps cracked really fast. That was why I switched to a Helstar 6. Then I heard S&S was making metal caps so I emailed them and they sent me one for free.

One thing I noticed about the metal cap is that I had to really tighten it down to get it to work.

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I still need to buy a few.

This would be legit for the dog collar.
View Quote
I’ve been using the Guardians for a long time for dog collars. They’re the perfect size IMO for a standard type web collar and they clip on secure. I bought one IR and several vis ones (the vis are cheap on amazon) and switch the heads out.

I’ve been leaving the vis on the collar and mainly use a helmet strobe for IR on a Ray Allen harness. I find it works better on the dog’s back shining straight up.

I just picked up my NU05. @KPog the Nitecore is smaller and fits a webbed dog collar better than the Guardian. It is indeed tiny and it's a nice light.

After using it, I'd still choose the more expensive Hel-Star or Manta as a primary helmet mounted strobe/marking device due to the better one handed tactile switching/feedback.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:00:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Here’s what I can tell:

Nitecore:
-bulky
View Quote
Bulky?

Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:04:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The NU05 is 30mmx30mmx15mm Thick. The mount isn't much bigger and it's handy as heck - but the strobe itself has a MOLLE clip on the back if you wanted a super tiny strobe. In the mount, it sits ~25mm above the base of the helmet

https://i.imgur.com/SG1chOh.jpg

The V-Lite is: 111mm(Long) x 28.5mm(Wide) x 13mm(Thick)
View Quote
Taking off the back clip/ attaching Velcro and not using the supplied mount is what I may try depending on how the mount works with my set up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:17:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:39:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Is one button press ir strobe?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Is one button press ir strobe?
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok this made me laugh. Well done sir lol
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Is the battery replaceable? If so what type?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:03:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Is the battery replaceable? If so what type?
View Quote
No it’s got the micro USB plug on the side and just charges up pretty quick. Like others said if you felt like you needed to be strobing for days and days, just plug a little USB battery pack into it and you’d still be dealing with a smaller setup than most others.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 6:49:42 PM EDT
[#47]
How can you walk around with all that bulk on your dome?

It’s insanity!
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

How can you walk around with all that bulk on your dome?

It's insanity!
View Quote
I'm pretty sure its got trailing wheels and a 2 5/8 ball that fold out for use behind a diesel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:13:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I’ve got a couple MS2000s I use.  They’re relatively cheap, albeit a bit bulky, but they work.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I’ve got a couple MS2000s I use.  They’re relatively cheap, albeit a bit bulky, but they work.
View Quote
This and/or glotoob if you’re looking to keep it under $50.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top