Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/28/2020 5:51:06 PM EDT
Not interested in the PERST lasers due to if it breaks, I'm screwed.

I've narrowed it down to a DBAL-D2 or DBAL-A3 for my 11.5".

Will not be ran suppressed, if that matters.

Pros/cons of the A3 and D2?

I really like the illuminator on the D2 but dasss a biiiiig bitch for an 11
5".
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Not interested in the PERST lasers due to if it breaks, I'm screwed.

I've narrowed it down to a DBAL-D2 or DBAL-A3 for my 11.5".

Will not be ran suppressed, if that matters.

Pros/cons of the A3 and D2?

I really like the illuminator on the D2 but dasss a biiiiig bitch for an 11
5".
View Quote

A3 fucking sucks outside of 50 meters. D2 is big, but man it has an awesome illuminator.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#2]
The only question is how much illuminator do you need?

The illuminator on the A3/9007 is very anemic, even with a Vampire Scout to help.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Run an I2 or something with one of the new Arisaka EX-IR when they come out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]
*sigh*

So it's D2 thicc boi or bust, eh?
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
*sigh*

View Quote

If you want good illumination.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you want good illumination.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Well you also have the Perst 3.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:08:53 PM EDT
[#8]
If the question is A3 or D2 the answer is always D2

I bought a brand new A3, took it out for an hour, came home and listed it on the EE the next day.  Now I have a D2

The A3 didnt have enough illuminator to see the far bank of a creek 25 yards wide.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I bought a brand new A3, took it out for an hour, came home and listed it on the EE the next day.  Now I have a D2

The A3 didnt have enough illuminator to see the far bank of a creek 25 yards wide.
View Quote

Damn.

Saw some YouTube videos and the A3 looked good at 100y with the illuminator.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The D2 is the light of my life when out hog hunting. She's a heavy pig, but the illumination is worth it.

Too bad the ATPIAL is neutered by the FDA for us lowly serfs
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#11]
The D2 on an 11.5 without a can isn't too heavy IMO. However most NV guns I've come across would be considered pretty heavy by most non-NV users.  

If you pick up & carry heavy shit on a regular basis you should be good to go, lol.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The D2 on an 11.5 without a can isn't too heavy IMO. However most NV guns I've come across would be considered pretty heavy by most non-NV users.  

If you pick up & carry heavy shit on a regular basis you should be good to go, lol.
View Quote

I wear like 40 pounds of shit at work and carry a 13 pound rifle. This should be a piece of cake. The D2 is just so...girthy.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Same boat man.

Though I might cave on a Perst 3.

Only going to have one "night" gun for now and it'll be a 11.5" as well with a can.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

[/b]

I wear like 40 pounds of shit at work and carry a 13 pound rifle. This should be a piece of cake. The D2 is just so...girthy.
View Quote

She is girthy but she puts out way more than the skinnier gals

Big girls need love too  
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 8:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Same boat man.

Only going to have one "night" gun for now and it'll be a 11.5" as well with a can.
View Quote

My biggest issue with the PERST is warranty. You pretty much have to accept its gonna be like a grey-market full power PEQ15.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Damn.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn.

Cameras tend to overplay the illuminator on stuff.

My peq15 is a bright light but on camera its a blinding circle of light that you cant even see into.

Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#17]
This is why my go to 11.5 has a full powered i2.

Sure no warranty, no vis laser, etc.

But its light AND powerful.

Sacrifices have to be made.

D2 is great illuminator. I like my a4 but the msrp is crazy talk. And the switching is flawed.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My biggest issue with the PERST is warranty. You pretty much have to accept its gonna be like a grey-market full power PEQ15.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same boat man.

Not true at all.

I have a few friends who have successfully warranteed theirs.

One even got a full refund after the russian post lost his in russia on the return trip. He replaced it on his scar with a mawl.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:13:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Cameras tend to overplay the illuminator on stuff.

My peq15 is a bright light but on camera its a blinding circle of light that you cant even see into.

View Quote

Good to know. Looks like it'll be the D2 then. Saves me money from having to buy a SureFire Vampire head for my scout, since the IR illuminator on the D2 will work for IR light.
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:14:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Not true at all.

I have a few friends who have successfully warranteed theirs.

One even got a full refund after the russian post lost his in russia on the return trip. He replaced it on his scar with a mawl.
View Quote

Customs actually lets these things out then come back in? I figure once they figure out they're full power, they'll be "mad".
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I’ve got a D2 on preorder for my 11.5”

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2020 9:42:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Customs actually lets these things out then come back in? I figure once they figure out they're full power, they'll be "mad".
View Quote

Youd be suprised what can and has been shipped through customs lol.

But yes. Ask this man about logistics.

@mustanggduck
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:25:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Here it is on a 12.5 with YHM Phantom Ti

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:30:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Jesus.

The D2.....It's so wide.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Jesus.

The D2.....It's so wide.
View Quote

lol.

Definitely doesn't have aesthetics on its side. She's pretty ugly.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:01:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

lol.

Definitely doesn't have aesthetics on its side. She's pretty ugly.
View Quote

If she's ugly but has soul, I'm down with it.

At this point I'm going with the D2. Just giving it a few days to do more research before ordering.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:15:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Take into consideration your intended use. If it's for xyz but possibly for the 2 way range if need be. You might want to think about the signature the IR light on the D2, gives off. It's not a laser based IR light, it is led and can be seen.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:25:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Jesus.

The D2.....It's so wide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Jesus.

The D2.....It's so wide.

*Tactical Girth*. She’s built like a tank and can be handled kinda roughly without worry
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:26:48 AM EDT
[#29]
The D2 LED illuminator does give off a slight pinkish glow at a very narrow angle that can be seen @ 100 yards away, but @jwramp did a very comprehensive comparison/vid/pics of LED and Laser based IR illuminators. He found that laser based IR illuminators also gave off a slight pinkish glow at certain angles. IMHO the D2 is the best american made LAM for its price. The link is below:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Downrange-IR-Signatures-TESTING-COMPLETE-PHOTOS-VIDEO-UP-/18-510391/
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:45:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The D2 LED illuminator does give off a slight pinkish glow at a very narrow angle that can be seen @ 100 yards away, but @jwramp did a very comprehensive comparison/vid/pics of LED and Laser based IR illuminators. He found that laser based IR illuminators also gave off a slight pinkish glow at certain angles. IMHO the D2 is the best american made LAM for its price. The link is below:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Downrange-IR-Signatures-TESTING-COMPLETE-PHOTOS-VIDEO-UP-/18-510391/
View Quote

Well put together testing.
I had the D2 and a full power peq15. Put both side by side. @50 meters I could clearly make out the D2 illumination, couldn't see the Peq. Not scientific testing by any means, but it showed me what I needed to know. The D2 went to my brother who yote hunts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh heck yeah. That's 4 pages of good info. Thanks!

Off to read.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 6:11:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
*sigh*

View Quote

The gray side beckons you
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#33]
i2 with a Modlite IR 18350 illuminator
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
*sigh*

Its just a laser... No one will notice...

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I had the D2 and a full power peq15. Put both side by side. @50 meters I could clearly make out the D2 illumination, couldn't see the Peq. Not scientific testing by any means, but it showed me what I needed to know. The D2 went to my brother who yote hunts.
View Quote

LOL mine went on my sons rig and gave me the excuse to buy a MAWL.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#37]
I started with an A3 and have gone through a few lasers to get where I am now. If I had to do it all again with just one laser I'd probably pick the D2 all things considered (including price and grey area around full power PEQs)

The A3 is a good laser and I still use it on a variety of rifles but the illuminator is definitely short ranged. I spend a lot of time in wide open spaces and prefer something with a lot more throw than the A3 can do, but for realistic defensive use I think the A3 is still reasonable...though for the relatively small price difference I think the better illum on the D2 is worth it

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Was the PEQ on high, with the defuser off? That doesn’t sound right at all. I know the D2 is good but it’s not FP PEQ good
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#39]
The people worried about the visible signature of the d2 make me chuckle.

Learn laser discipline and then by the time the non nvg people see the red glow its too late.

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 12:57:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Was the PEQ on high, with the defuser off? That doesn’t sound right at all. I know the D2 is good but it’s not FP PEQ good
View Quote

Hes talking visible signature not output
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:09:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Ahh. If you see visible signature from either, you’ve made some very poor life choices
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:21:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:34:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If you're not, for whatever reason, willing to spring for a MAWL, I'd go ATPIAL-C or DBAL-A3 for you application.
~Augee
View Quote
Interesting points Augee, but what about the D2 is worse than the A3? I don't have a D2 myself but I'm generally in the camp that having the option of more illumination is better than being limited from the get go

Is there a switchology or reliability component that isn't being discussed, or something else about the D2 that matters? Correct me if I'm wrong (and please do) but functionally isn't the D2 mostly the same as the A3 but with a bigger illuminator? I have the A4 and my conclusion between the A4 and the A3 was that they were functionally about the same minus the difference in IR and white light, but again I don't have a D2 and so am extrapolating

Genuine question, no sandbagging

Link Posted: 9/29/2020 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like the D2 illuminator vs the PEQ due to the lack of artifacts vs the PEQ. It's a shame you can't narrow the beam as tight as a PEQ to achieve Death Star planet destroyer power.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:31:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
And I've tried the camera thing before. J. W. can tell you. We tried to capture IR illuminator performance and downrange signatures several years ago. I've never ended up publishing it because I wasn't happy with the results. It didn't reflect what I saw. One either side of the devices.
View Quote

+1 I seent it. That was using unfiltered capture, so shining straight into a DSLR. My more recent exercise used an IR cut filter that I thought on camera realistically represented what the human eye saw. Pretty sure I posted most all the details of the demo though, so folks can feel free to reproduce if they don't feel it was a good approximation - no smoke and mirrors intended.

As many others have posted - if downrange signature is your biggest concern, you should probably look to a higher-wavelength device with variable power output. Power seemed to be the biggest determinant of visibility (duh?). Orrrrr practice shooting passively. That's what I spent half the evening doing the other night and it's great as long as you can see the target. That's kinda the whole point of shopping for illuminators though - lighting up stuff so you can see it. That's why I always tell guys to stay away from the crappy illuminators like on the ATPIAL-C. Just not worth the space on the gun to me for worse performance than what's already stuck onto the side of my helmet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Couple points.

I've spent stood downrange from IR illuminators. Standing on catwalks watching guys move. Observing students. Observing demos.

The D2 illuminator is more noticeable. I'm not talking about hypotheticals, I'm talking about something I've seen. Regardless, the science of how lasers and LED generate output backs it up.

And I've tried the camera thing before. J. W. can tell you. We tried to capture IR illuminator performance and downrange signatures several years ago. I've never ended up publishing it because I wasn't happy with the results. It didn't reflect what I saw. One either side of the devices. Not a fault of his, photographing illuminators and accurately conveying their relative performance just sucks.

Still, if that was the only thing, it's admittedly not a deal killing issue, and I've said many times before, as long as you're aware of it, it's not an issue.

The DBAL-D2 is a great performer. It has some shortcomings, but performance-wise, it's a good laser.

Why don't I like it?

It goes back to my explanation of why I do like the ATPIAL-C, and over the DBAL-A3.

Everything about the switchology and ergonomics of the ATPIAL is better to me than any DBAL. Period.

"Not that big of a deal."

I mean I agree in some ways, but I also disagree.

Again, you're talking about a piece of equipment that you will almost always operate without ever looking at. You have to know the status, controls, and disposition of the device and how to make it do what you want it to do without ever looking at it, and be able to switch on the fly as conditions and circumstances change.

Now some of this has to do with my own preferences.

I'm a right handed shooter that prefers under most circumstances to be an "over the top" laser shooter, while I often have various supplementary remote controls wired up, my primary mode of activation wants to go over the top of the laser and use the onboard fire button. A lot of this has to do with the unreliability of many laser remote plug ports and switches that I've experienced over the years. Some lasers you need to have the cable perfectly rotated within the slot to activate it, etc., it's pretty lame. Some switches are better--even switch to switch of the same type and manufacturer. Being honest, LDI/Steiner OEM cables have historically been some of the worst and they don't all always play friendly with cables and plugs. Things like the new Crane-style connector designed for the TAPS help, but in the end, I just don't like relying on them as a primary. Surefire light plugs are usually way better, though annoying in their own ways.

The DBAL-D2 drives me into paroxysms mounted as a 12 o'clock carbine laser.

The big "girthy" as others have put it, illuminator is right in the way of everything I love and hold dear. Can't put a light switch there, can't grab a good hold on the rifle, it's not even the size or weight, it's where it is. I hate it.

Then, the "FIRE" button is nowhere near where I want it. If by some gargantuan effort I manage to get over top of the thing and figure out how to grip it and how to be comfortable with it, the "FIRE" button is nowhere to be found, and nowhere near where it is on most lasers that I can fumble around and locate it by feel alone.

Instead it's on the ass goddamn end of the Red Bull can hanging off the rifle.

Then, and this is a common complaint of mine with DBALs, but on an A2/A3/I2/PEQ-15A, I can get over it, but the damn rear mode switching. Ick. Just put it on top, first of all. Meanwhile the knob is nearly symmetrical. In the dark, with gloves, you've got to think about where it is and what direction it's pointing in, it's got so many points. Why? Why? Insight makes it so easy. There's a flap coming off in one direction. One direction only. Like a clock hand. You know where it's pointing as long as you can feel it. Through gloves, in the cold, in the rain and snow.  

So... it's very personal, it's very subjective.

And the D2 performs pretty well so long as you're aware of and okay with the downrange signature.

It works real well on longer guns with longer rails activated by a TAPS or something like that, but to me, not so well on short rails. It's great side-mounted with a clip-on.

It's really not a bad laser.

But I hate it on a short carbine.

And I don't think it brings enough to the table for a short gun application to overcome its shortcomings, where, also, if the signature was going to be a liability, it's the worst possible application.

~Augee
View Quote

Interestingly I agree 100% with your ergonomic complaints.

I prefer atpials every day. The switching just flows. The top button is all I ever use.

I just use illuminator too much to run an atpial-c. I refuse to use a seperate illuminator when I can just have an all in one solution.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#49]
I love the D2 discussions it reminds me of dual -14's vs binos or GP vs WP, lol.

The D2 and pretty much all devices have their shortcomings. Whether it's performance, functionality, or price. FWIW, I've used the D2 for years with a SF dual pad and I've never had it fail me once (knock on wood) however I did have to trim the Crane plug. You also become familiar with it like anything else and I can tell by feel with my thumb what setting it's on and can reliably put it on whichever setting I need by feel.

Is it the best solution for everyone, no, but it's also not the worst which IMO would be an underpowered illuminator. I'm with the others who feel it's better to have more light than not enough. If you have to use supplemental IR LED on your gun/helmet then your attempt to avoid the downrange red glow was unsuccessful and you added one more step (switching it on/off) wile also wasting the money on a light that is underpowered in both IR & vis light if it's an SF V model.
Link Posted: 9/29/2020 3:16:56 PM EDT
[#50]
on 11.5 bcm.  tan was on sale so it's what I got.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top