Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2022 11:29:45 AM EDT
Is there any meaningful civilian use case for these?

The only reason I would consider is night training (woods not range) with others with NODS.

They seem to range in price from ~$30 to $200+.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Isn't training with others a valid reason?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By topgunshooter:
Isn't training with others a valid reason?
View Quote

I was thinking it is. That's why I was considering getting one.

Any suggestions on which one?
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm considering the cheap one from Amazon myself. No reason in my mind to spend too much on something that's not too useful as a civilian.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:01:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#4]
The biggest thing for me is umbrella lighting. I buy versions that have a steady ir so I can get soft lighting indoors. Flashing ir is nice when walking in the woods with others.

I have the hel-star 6 but the nu05 nightcore works almost as well for 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 1:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
The biggest thing for me is umbrella lighting. I buy versions that have a steady ir so I can get soft lighting indoors. Flashing ir is nice when walking in the woods with others.

View Quote

I have a Princeton Tec Charge Pro for task lighting and basic navigation light.  It is very directional, so not really useful as a beacon/strobe.

Considering the Phoenix JR 123 or AA/123 or maybe the Guardian unit. Prefer the 123 or AA to coin cells though.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:04:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:28:22 PM EDT
[#7]
The Nightcore NU05 works great and it's compact.  My biggest complaint is that it's rechargeable.  I prefer to be able to replace a battery if it goes dead while I'm using it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 2:40:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By trails-end:
The Nightcore NU05 works great and it's compact.  My biggest complaint is that it's rechargeable.  I prefer to be able to replace a battery if it goes dead while I'm using it.
View Quote

Thas true. I hate rechargeable batteries as well.

But you could make the argument that since it's so cheap you could easily just buy a few back ups for when yours dies and rotate them. That or some guys run them to a battery pack, which gives them very long run times.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Love this place!

Just ordered the NU05 MI and NPB1 (waterproof battery back) from Nitecore with the 15% new customer discount.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and advice!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 4:54:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hox] [#10]
Beacons are useful even if others don't have nods and are white light training. Otherwise you'll zip tie glow stick to yourself for safety. Considering most IR beacons have vis light capability as well.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:45:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caniac_Nation] [#11]
Originally Posted By pyro_451:
Love this place!

Just ordered the NU05 MI and NPB1 (waterproof battery back) from Nitecore with the 15% new customer discount.

Thanks to everyone for the quick replies and advice!!
View Quote

Were you happy with the purchase? Considering these two.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:20:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Considering I don't have my PVS-14...

I am very happy with the form factor, ease of use, and battery setup. The power bank is a bit larger diameter than I expected but will still fit in the counterweight pouch just fine. I don't expect to hook up the battery pack lead unless I was going to be out for an extended period (more than 4 hours) at night. Or if I forgot to charge the beacon.

The included velcro mount is nice also.

I can't speak to the durability or water resistance as it has not rained on me with it outside yet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pyro_451:
Considering I don't have my PVS-14...

I am very happy with the form factor, ease of use, and battery setup. The power bank is a bit larger diameter than I expected but will still fit in the counterweight pouch just fine. I don't expect to hook up the battery pack lead unless I was going to be out for an extended period (more than 4 hours) at night. Or if I forgot to charge the beacon.

The included velcro mount is nice also.

I can't speak to the durability or water resistance as it has not rained on me with it outside yet.
View Quote

Thanks. Ordered my set last night actually.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:59:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#14]
Only time I have used mine on the IR side is going downrange when we were all shooting at night

And one other time on the visible side when I was in a tunnel with NODs and a passerby started happening down my path.

Turned on the visible strobe and constant light so I wouldnt scare the good jesus out of the dude when I emerged from the darkness

Mostly have it in case I get hurt by my lonesome out in the woods at night. Turn it on and call for help and wait for the calvary to arrive
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 12:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#15]
Handy to have when Somalian militia are firing upon your position.

Mark the target with an IR Strobe so the Little Birds can make rocket & gun runs ...

Black Hawk Down Air Strike (extended)

Seriously, they are handy to have when training and to mark a position you want to return to (like a parked vehicle in the dark in strange territory) or as the previous poster noted a "rescue" marker for the NOD wearing.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/29/2022 6:00:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I use mine on IR when I walk the dogs at night.  I figure it fucks with Ring doorbells and security cams.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#17]
If I were a hiker I would have one with a spare battery. I’d tell my wife “I have an IR Beacon; tell the search party that if I don’t come back”. A lot easier to spot one of those from the air of the search party has NODS.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By topgunshooter:
I'm considering the cheap one from Amazon myself. No reason in my mind to spend too much on something that's not too useful as a civilian.
View Quote
The one I bought was total garbage. The battery couldn't be replaced so it was waterproof. Don't waste your money. They get good reviews from airsoft kids I guess.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#19]
The Unity Spark is a nice unit for cheap. Available in different colors as well as IR.

Press the button to turn it on and change modes from dim strobe, bright strobe and solid on then back to off.
Battery life is 200 hours.

The only downside is the battery is not replaceable and they are considered cheap throw away units.

I have visible for the range due to our club rules that we must have a small visible light for safety. Also have the IR one for when I play in the woods. I have a regular helmet light if I want something visible at that time.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The new Nitecore NU06 MI is pretty sweet for $26. I got two of them, and I think I am set.

Constant and strobe in all modes. IR, green, blue, red, and flashing red/blue.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By TimeOnTarget:
The new Nitecore NU06 MI is pretty sweet for $26. I got two of them, and I think I am set.

Constant and strobe in all modes. IR, green, blue, red, and flashing red/blue.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/tempImageraK0mm_jpg-2572622.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/432675/tempImageMqw6FR_jpg-2572623.JPG
View Quote
Those also look perfect for my dogs' leashes...
Link Posted: 10/23/2022 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Cole2534:
Those also look perfect for my dogs' leashes...
View Quote

Checkout their website.

They make several versions. The other one is visible light only. They come with 3 mounting options. There is a lot of value packed in this for $26.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:15:27 AM EDT
[#23]
With the number of hunters switching over to digital night vision and willing to shoot at anything that moves I'd say it's not a bad idea to have one on...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top