Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2019 10:56:29 AM EDT
I’m looking for what spectrum of IR light Gen3 NVG units are able to see. What range of Ir light are most illuminators, laser and LED based? Tried looking up specs of different units and came up empty.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#1]
OPSEC bro!

Just kidding, most IR illuminators and lasers are 850nm and 910nm
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OPSEC bro!

Just kidding, most IR illuminators and lasers are 850nm and 910nm
View Quote
That’s about what I found too. But how about the full range that Gen3 units can see? 700nm-1000nm ish?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 12:09:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That’s about what I found too. But how about the full range that Gen3 units can see? 700nm-1000nm ish?
View Quote
The Gen 3 GaAs photocathode becomes transparent above a certain near IR wavelength. Don't know if the structure or doping of the PC changes it from the textbook value (890nm I think?). At 950nm or so, it's fully transparent and I've been able to take photographs of the MCP thru the photocathode under ~950nm illumination. A transparent photocathode is not a good photocathode. The appeal of 910nm illuminators is the reduced perceived dull red glow but on the basis of illumination per watt, they're substantially less effective than something at 850nm. Gen 3 tubes are entirely blind to 1064nm. A 1064nm laser (~10mW) is completely invisible to a Gen 3 tube whereas a CCD camera sees it just fine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2019 6:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Didn't we beat this horse on another platform?
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Didn't we beat this horse on another platform?
View Quote
you could provide some information, instead of being your cryptic but not answering self

sensitivity of some of the phosphors used in nvd devices, excluding the newer ones

ir lights using leds are noted by their primary output frequency. the output of an led is like this

which shows that the output is a spread of ir in wavelength, with a peak at the output wavelength.
the above is the output of a osram 850nm led.

ir semiconductor lasers are noted by their typical output wavelength, though the device itself may output +/- 10nm typically from the output wavelength
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 12:34:12 AM EDT
[#7]
You can go with Photonis 4G aka ECHO if you are looking for extended spectral ranges. (goes below 1100nm)
There are tactical advantages in that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:25:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:27:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

you could provide some information, instead of being your cryptic but not answering self
View Quote
He posted this on FB, a patch company tagged in TNVC dudes and it turned into an L3 vs PD shit show. We all know L3 are cucks though so whatever.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 4:28:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can go with Photonis 4G aka ECHO if you are looking for extended spectral ranges. (goes below 1100nm)
There are tactical advantages in that.
View Quote
True that.  The only problem is finding a weapons grade 1064 IR laser or light.  I'm still looking and haven't found anything except Chinese LED that I can DIY into some McGyver gizmo with duct tape.

The advantage is only theoretical if no mountable IR laser exists to take advantage of Photonis' capabilities.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

True that.  The only problem is finding a weapons grade 1064 IR laser or light.  I'm still looking and haven't found anything except Chinese LED that I can DIY into some McGyver gizmo with duct tape.

The advantage is only theoretical if no mountable IR laser exists to take advantage of Photonis' capabilities.
View Quote
Grab a 1064nm bandpass filter and any cheap Chinese green laser you want. About 10-20% of the total power output is at 1064nm. Not weapons grade but a starting point. Getting 5-10mW at 1064nm which is enough to get a good beam and point at things. Properly diverged, it's not a horrible illuminator either.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:05:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Grab a 1064nm bandpass filter and any cheap Chinese green laser you want. About 10-20% of the total power output is at 1064nm. Not weapons grade but a starting point. Getting 5-10mW at 1064nm which is enough to get a good beam and point at things. Properly diverged, it's not a horrible illuminator either.
View Quote
I use one w an ir filter glued on and it can be focused. Total cost for a kickass illuminator that runs off a single 18650 was about 20 bucks
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:10:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I use one w an ir filter glued on and it can be focused. Total cost for a kickass illuminator that runs off a single 18650 was about 20 bucks
View Quote
Actual 1064nm filter? These lasers also bleed out a lot of the 808nm pump laser output which really lights up Gen 3. Can also remove the focusing lens, pop off the crystal, and refocus it for the pump laser. Mutilated a $3 eBay "green" laser pointer and now it outputs ~120mW of IR at 808nm. Literally can point at (low altitude) clouds.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Actual 1064nm filter? These lasers also bleed out a lot of the 808nm pump laser output which really lights up Gen 3. Can also remove the focusing lens, pop off the crystal, and refocus it for the pump laser. Mutilated a $3 eBay "green" laser pointer and now it outputs ~120mW of IR at 808nm. Literally can point at (low altitude) clouds.
View Quote
Nah filtered that one at either 7 something or 850nm to use w regular tubes. Dude post a tutorial on that because holy shit that sounds amazing. I used a burning green laser on sale at banggood for the the project, a locking ring and a focus lens as an illuminator/painter. Unsure how much it puts out but it's no joke. I'll have to point it at clouds to see if it's as good as yours.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nah filtered that one at either 7 something or 850nm to use w regular tubes. Dude post a tutorial on that because holy shit that sounds amazing. I used a burning green laser on sale at banggood for the the project, a locking ring and a focus lens as an illuminator/painter. Unsure how much it puts out but it's no joke. I'll have to point it at clouds to see if it's as good as yours.
View Quote
Not much to it, the lasing crystal/frequency doubler is behind the focusing lens. Little C shaped brass piece that's aligned and then cemented in. Pop off the cement and the laser diode is exposed. Reinstall the lens and you're good to go. Was surprised to get ~120mW of IR. Focusing lens is pretty slow and positioned further away than it should but the output was more than sufficient to keep me happy. Have a 16W diode laser waiting to be fiddled with. Not gonna point that one at clouds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top