Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/2/2018 7:52:51 PM EDT
I've finally come to realize that no matter how much I don't want anything else on my helmet, I need an IR light so I can more effectively navigate under tree cover and/or when there's no moon or other illumination nearby for my pvs-14 to amplify. The built in IR light works for what's immediately in front of me but is useless past 25 feet. I'm thinking of going with the Surefire V1 since occasionally when using this on duty, I have a need for hands free white light. However, I'm unsure of the best way to mount it to the rails on my ops-core helmet. Likewise I may be unaware of a different option that may work out better or cost less. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use the SF V1 with a Viking Tactics light mount exclusively on most of my own helmets. Pop off the pocket clip and GTG.  If you can still find a SF M1....The best dedicated IR  hand held/helmet light out there. Sure wish SF would not have discontinued this little gem.
View Quote
Stupid follow-up question: how does one use this mount on an ARC rail?
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:14:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 9:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
FYI I recently ordered a few M1 lights directly from surefire.  You might call someone and see how many they have left.  I suspect they did a run of these and have some left over
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I've mounted my 952v before in a pinch.

Yes it sucked.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone! I missed the M1 listing but went ahead and ordered the V1 and the associated parts to mount it my helmet rail.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 1:45:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a side note, I have found in heavy bush/ trees the splash back from even my M1 can be too much.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:01:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FYI I recently ordered a few M1 lights directly from surefire.  You might call someone and see how many they have left.  I suspect they did a run of these and have some left over
View Quote
I sent you a message but your inbox is full.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 12:04:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the Inforce IR (white) for major IR and the Princeton Tech MPLS for general IR (and red).

I'm actually surprised how much illumination the MPLS provides.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Had the v1 on the knuckl and now have the s&s body and mount and like it more, also got the mpls high mount to free up more rail space.

Link Posted: 6/5/2018 7:01:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I sent you a message but your inbox is full.
View Quote
Can you email?
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just a side note, I have found in heavy bush/ trees the splash back from even my M1 can be too much.
View Quote
Yup, being in thick woods with NODs sucks. Not only is light fall-off inversely proportional to distance (which means a light bright enough to see any distance is freaking thermonuclear on vegetation close to you) but the standard infinity focus means seeing that saw brier 24" in front of your face isn't going to happen... As I said, it sucks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:37:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 9:21:37 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been very pleased with my Petzl STRIX IR as an vis/IR helmet mounted solution for close work.  Single AA-power is nice as well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:09:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have been very pleased with my Petzl STRIX IR as an vis/IR helmet mounted solution for close work.  Single AA-power is nice as well.
View Quote
Also a huge fan of the STRIX, also for visible light use. The thing is bombproof, like all Petzl products.
I can't stand Ptec. They supposedly have a warranty but it seems like their entire CS department is focused on giving the runaround.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Im another Petzl Strix advocate, Its the only light I use now for anything I do around the house. Goes with me everywhere I go. The IR light is also not overpowering but useful.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 11:45:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:02:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Im another Petzl Strix advocate, Its the only light I use now for anything I do around the house. Goes with me everywhere I go. The IR light is also not overpowering but useful.
View Quote
How well does the IR work? I can't find any images of it in IR mode.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm partial to the Inforce WML. The lockout is intuitive and the weight is right on.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:13:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Ill try to get some pics posted up this evening for you.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ill try to get some pics posted up this evening for you.
View Quote
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:38:58 AM EDT
[#26]
I've been trying to find a Petzl Strix IR but they all seem to be sold out. Any other good alternatives?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I've been trying to find a Petzl Strix IR but they all seem to be sold out. Any other good alternatives?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I ordered one from this place:

https://www.omniprogear.com/Petzl-STRIX-IR-tactical-headlamp-camo-p/pe90bhbc.htm

There was a bit of a delay.  They said that Petzl was having issues with their ordering system, probably why everyone is OOS.

Petzl has implemented a computer systems "upgrade" that has caused them to be basically unable to ship since April 1.  We are getting sporadic shipments, but no certainty on when items will ship.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:37:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.omniprogear.com/Petzl-STRIX-IR-tactical-headlamp-camo-p/pe90bhbc.htm

There was a bit of a delay.  They said that Petzl was having issues with their ordering system, probably why everyone is OOS.
View Quote
So if I have an ops core bump I'm good to go? No extra mounting plates needed?
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So if I have an ops core bump I'm good to go? No extra mounting plates needed?
View Quote
Yes, it comes ready to slide onto arc rails.

The separate helmet adapter is for attaching to the edge of helmets without rails.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, it comes ready to slide onto arc rails.

The separate helmet adapter is for attaching to the edge of helmets without rails.
View Quote
Thank you sir.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 1:08:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The small Princeton Tec nav/work lights are much better, and you get less of the "blinding flash" in heavy brush (I used to tromp around the backwoods of West Virginia pretty often with 'em, where it can get pretty thick and pretty damned dark), and the flex head allows you adjust the angle to give you useful illumination without the viewing-direction-only blast of the onboard illuminator.

~Augee
View Quote
I like my MPLS Charge Pros - they're easy to use - but I swear they have the most confusing descriptions of what lights are actually present on the things.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#32]
MPLS on one side, and Inforce WML on  the other.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 10:54:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
I got mine last night per your recommendation. It's a nice light and it's also better than my 952v on the side of my head.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I got mine last night per your recommendation. It's a nice light and it's also better than my 952v on the side of my head.
View Quote
Right on.  I haven't had time to do much with mine.

I did read through the instructions.  It has a ton of features, I'm betting it will take me a bit to get used to working it.  Might have to make a cheat sheet.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:17:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Just bought a SF X300V from LA Police gear.  Price was great and had a 15%off coupon.  Couldn't pass it up.  Since it's white, and IR, I plan on mounting it to one of my helmet rails.  It'll save me real estate from having 2 lights.  We'll see
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I like the StreamLight SideWinder ll. It takes either CR123A or AA batteries. It has white, red, blue and IR. 4 different brightness modes as well as strobe for all colors including IR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iw6AccC5ZGQ
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 10:33:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I am a huge fan of helmet mounted infrared lights. I have used a bunch of different brands and I found the Princeton tec Charge IR to be the very best for the distance you want. It's a 940 so the red glow is barely visible so unless your using gen 1 then this IMO is the very best IR light and it can be mounted in about 6 different ways. As it is it's made to slide right into a ARC side helmet rail and it has a bunch of attachments.  It's around $100 but if you look around enough you can find one for $55 Hans Christian Anderson biography" />
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top