Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2018 2:19:13 PM EDT
I've been wanting something from the 18th or 19th century as a wall hanger.  I see IMA still has some uncleaned rifles from these eras and was wondering which one would you pick?

I'm kind of partial to a Brunswick or a Brown Bess.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The untouched Bess are a *lot* of work. They're trainwrecks. They can be made to shoot and look pretty nice, but not easily. The untouched P'53s aren't a lot better wood condition-wise.

The Brunswicks, Model F Muskets, and Sniders are all what I'd call "medium difficulty". You'll need to do some wood work, but nothing on the level of the Bess.

The easiest to restore are the Martinis, especially the Mk. IVs. Those mostly just need a cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a Snider from them that was not too bad to work through and came out looking very nice in the end. I wanted another wall hanger and tried a Gahendra fro kicks and whoa what a mess that was. I gave up on it for now and cleaned it as best I could and have it hanging in the man cave. One day I might look at it again, but I doubt it those things are just wall hangers now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Good info and just the type I was looking for.  Hopefully more will be forthcoming.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 4:35:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a St. Louis Hawken and some sort of a .36 caliber squirrelly rifle hanging over my fireplace.  I shot both before hanging them.
Link Posted: 8/17/2018 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe I'm a bit of an exception, but I have a Martini-Henry from them that is in pieces in a box because it has a cracked breech block and a forend that needs extensive repairs including metal hardware that needs to be replaced. I knew there was a possibility that the gun I received would have issues and I don't fault IMA because they did spell that out but I do regret my purchase.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 8:23:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I believe I'm a bit of an exception, but I have a Martini-Henry from them that is in pieces in a box because it has a cracked breech block and a forend that needs extensive repairs including metal hardware that needs to be replaced. I knew there was a possibility that the gun I received would have issues and I don't fault IMA because they did spell that out but I do regret my purchase.
View Quote
For anther $150 they will send you one that is cleaned and is complete.  After hearing the stories of bad ones and good ones, I wouldn't take the chance of a bad one for the price of $750 rather pay $895 for one I knew was good.
Link Posted: 8/18/2018 9:32:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
For anther $150 they will send you one that is cleaned and is complete.  After hearing the stories of bad ones and good ones, I wouldn't take the chance of a bad one for the price of $750 rather pay $895 for one I knew was good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yeah, I would say that is the way to go. Plus cleaning them properly, without using chemicals that will mess up the wood or finish, is no where near as simple as cleaning a gun covered in cosmoline.
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 1:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, I would say that is the way to go. Plus cleaning them properly, without using chemicals that will mess up the wood or finish, is no where near as simple as cleaning a gun covered in cosmoline.
View Quote
Cleaning isn't a big deal and actually easier than my ecpirence with Cosmo removal.. Cleaned the wood and metal initially with hot water and krudkutter. Metal was finished with brake cleaner then oiled
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't mail order an untouched. When they had their Easton PA store I went in and hand picked over a dozen rifles. Lots of crap in the stack with a few gems.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 4:23:49 PM EDT
[#10]
So I bit the bullet today and ordered the P-1837 Brunswick.  I was on sale so why not.  I'll post some pics when it comes in.
Link Posted: 9/16/2018 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Here is the rifle.  Came with a original buttplate and parts of the patchbox cover.  The lock works perfectly.  The stock is cracked at the wrist and part of the front end is missing on the left side.  The only thing missing is the nosecap and the front most barrel pin.

Slightly cleaned

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top