Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2018 7:57:18 PM EDT
I'm torn between buying an extra 8" OE Sig barrel and cutting it to 4.5" or buying a 4.5" ILWT. Anyone have comments on the quality of ILWT barrels?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 4.5 inch ILWT barrel. They are fantastic barrels.

I bought the one that is threaded and has the tri lug. Very accurate for a short barrel.

But yes they are of great quality and if you have any questions about the product or problems they stand behind their products also.

Fit and finish was great also.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 9:32:10 AM EDT
[#2]
That's good to hear about their quality and customer service.

Basicallly, I can do a 8" OE Sig barrel cut down and have about the same money invested as purchasing the 4.5 ILWT. Sounds like the barrels are comparable and this one may come down to flipping a coin.
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to cut down my 8 inch barrel but decided not to. I want the option of having both barrels. So I invested in the ILWT barrel after doing exactly what your doing. Research and asking.

I also bought the kmod 4.5 rail so I could swap it around grabagun has them for around 120.00or less. I can't remember

Do you have the gen1 or gen2 mpx
Link Posted: 3/25/2018 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got a Gen 2 8".

I planned to keep my original barrel regardless. But I can pick up another low round count 8" barrel at a decent price. However, by the time I send it out to get it cut, the price delta between that and a ILWT is like $30. I'm thinking the hassle factor, plus the fact the ILWT is new, its not worth the small amount of savings.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 7:26:22 AM EDT
[#5]
ILWT is a really great setup. If you get the tri-lug, note that its machined onto the barrel. That means that this isn't a shorter barrel with a tri-lug threaded onto it to simulate the desired length. Also keep in mind that not only is the gas port on the barrel larger than the factory profile barrel but the hole in the gas block is also larger. Everyone sends the barrel away for work but forgets about the block. When I was going to upgrade, I was just going the barrel route but after doing the math for everything that I wanted, ILWT was the way top go. If you need another reason to support Robert at ILWT, just remember that Robert was the first to step up the plate to make quality MPX parts when nobody else would. Not even Sig.
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Another happy ILWT customer here - and Rob will do engraving on the barrel if you'd like.  I kept my original untouched and engraved the new one...  He's also got an adjustable gas regulator - which hasn't given me any issues, but hasn't made a hugely noticeable difference to me either.  Customer service is top notch - Rob worked through some odd tolerance stacking issues with me - going so far as to send a smorgasbord of parts for me to try until I found a set that worked with all mine!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Rob's great to deal with.
Link Posted: 4/4/2018 8:53:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ILWT is a really great setup. If you get the tri-lug, note that its machined onto the barrel. That means that this isn't a shorter barrel with a tri-lug threaded onto it to simulate the desired length. Also keep in mind that not only is the gas port on the barrel larger than the factory profile barrel but the hole in the gas block is also larger. Everyone sends the barrel away for work but forgets about the block. When I was going to upgrade, I was just going the barrel route but after doing the math for everything that I wanted, ILWT was the way top go. If you need another reason to support Robert at ILWT, just remember that Robert was the first to step up the plate to make quality MPX parts when nobody else would. Not even Sig.
View Quote
So is the 4.5" barrel with the tri lug machined into it the same length as a 4.5" with a thread on adapter?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought the 14.5" with the extended tri-lug, and it's out being pinned & welded. I hope it runs as well as the factory barrel did. I agree with supporting Rob, I just wish he could have some of the work done, like the tri-lug installed permanently. This would up his game in a way that would encourage me to buy another barrel for when I decide to SBR, but at this time I may just have my factory barrel chopped. I'll buy as much MPX stuff as I need from ILWT first and foremost.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe its just my copy...but I have both the 4.5" Gen 1 ILWT 3-lug and a factory 4.5" Sig threaded barrel with a 3-lug adapter.  I prefer the Factory Sig barrel due to accuracy.  I have tighter groups with all ammo using the factory Sig barrel.  IMHO, given a choice between factory and ILWT, I'll take factory....my 4.5" ILWT 3-Lug barrel now just sits in the parts bin.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:24:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So is the 4.5" barrel with the tri lug machined into it the same length as a 4.5" with a thread on adapter?
View Quote
No.  ILWT in the middle.  Factory Sig on left/right...all Gen 1:

With factory 4.5" with 3-lug adapter:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top