Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/20/2017 1:29:26 AM EDT
Any one else put in for one of the IHC or WRA service grades back up on the site.   Saw a GD thread but not many people talking about them it seems.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Just put in for a WRA.
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 10:06:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Would love an ihc but I'm broke
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 12:32:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Put in for an IHC. It'll be my Christmas present to myself for the next 10 years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
My order for an IHC got to CMP on 12/18, sticky for GI wood. Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 11:56:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put in for an IHC. It'll be my Christmas present to myself for the next 10 years.
View Quote
I couldn't pass up the IHC as it's the one I need to complete my makers, so I'm in the same boat.

Can't wait to see what I get
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#6]
A buddy and myself mailed our orders and have gotten our rifles.

He opted for a field grade rifle and got a Springfield Armory.

I opted for a Service Grade Winchester.

When comparing them I’d honestly say his field grade is in the same shape if not better visually. The Win has some pitting and the SA does not.  The Winchester only scoring 1 better on the throat erosion.

I’m still happy with it, at the end of the day I got the chance to get a Winchester from the CMP and they haven’t been available for some time.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:06:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the heads-up on these.  I don't follow the sales website as often as I used to.  I'm interested in the new pricing.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw on CMP website IHC SOLD OUT January 6, 2018
I received my “DBU” email this morning.

ETA WRA sold out too.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 3:32:11 PM EDT
[#9]
For the notification mine is coming in tomorrow.  Only negative it it looks like it's a gap letter by serial number .  Was hoping for a postage stamp  Looks like it actually may be a PS by what others have posted.  We shall see.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my IHC last week. Pretty happy. GI Stock, IHC op rod, gas plug, trigger housing, hammer, safety, sight knob and LMR barrel. I need an HRA to complete the set.
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 10:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got my IHC last week. Pretty happy. GI Stock, IHC op rod, gas plug, trigger housing, hammer, safety, sight knob and LMR barrel. I need an HRA to complete the set.
View Quote
Any rebuild marks?  Seen a few coming in on the other board with rebuilds done on them, a few with the LEAD chalk still.  Minty!
Link Posted: 1/8/2018 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Any rebuild marks?  Seen a few coming in on the other board with rebuilds done on them, a few with the LEAD chalk still.  Minty!
View Quote
Didn't see any on mine.
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 9:55:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I should be getting my Winchester service grade before Saturday.  Serial number is in the 2,74*,*** range so maybe August of 44?
Link Posted: 1/9/2018 11:54:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I should be getting my Winchester service grade before Saturday.  Serial number is in the 2,74*,*** range so maybe August of 44?
View Quote
is that number supposed to be 2.47 mil?  I don't think Winchester went to 2.7 mil
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
is that number supposed to be 2.47 mil?  I don't think Winchester went to 2.7 mil
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry.....it's  2.4 mil. Just got it and she has a Winchester barrel ME 2, TE 3. It's looms like the gas cylinder may be a winnie but all other parts are SA and has a post war non cartouched birch stock.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Sorry.....it's  2.4 mil. Just got it and she has a Winchester barrel ME 2, TE 3. It's looms like the gas cylinder may be a winnie but all other parts are SA and has a post war non cartouched birch stock.
View Quote
Very nice!   I was just making sure, figured the serial was switched.  Either that or you had something special!
Link Posted: 1/11/2018 9:36:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Just got mine yesterday (WRA Service Grade).

Receiver- October 1942; very nice deep green parking; no pitting
Barrel- SA 1945
Bolt, op rod, trigger group are all SA.
Gas tube lock is the only other known WRA part.
ME2, TE3

Stock is very nice but has some rack scarring and is "AN" marked indicating this was an Anniston repair/rebuild program rifle. This fits with the chamber area being parkerized and not "in the white" as they usually are. The gas tube/front sight, poppet valve, and lock are are refinished.

Other than the rack scarring on the stock (or it was piled in a van with some other rifles) it's much nicer looking than my other service grade greek return...the finish on all parts is excellent. I did not expect a mostly correct rifle in a WRA as they were all older guns and went through a lot. All-in-all very happy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2018 7:17:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Ordered an IHC SG on 12/15/17. Order arrived on 12/19/17. DBU received on 1/8/18, shipped on the 9th, delivered on the 10th.

Opened it this afternoon:

IHC 4.5mil postage stamp
Nice park, zero pitting
LMR barrel dated 12/53, M 1+, T 2+, chamber in the white
IHC op rod and sights
SA bolt
Trigger group HRA
SA WWII trigger guard
Gas plug is marked with a P and what looks like a pentastar?
Front hand guard matches the stock, rear hand guard is much darker

Stock is a "seasoned" SA GAW w/crossed cannons, stamps are very clear and legible. Many dings and bruises, lockup is good.

It's a Raritan rebuild. Looks like it had a rack number painted in yellow over the rebuild stamp, but someone scraped it off.

I sent in an order for a WRA on 1/3/18. It might have made it to Anniston before they sold out, but we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:57:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ordered an IHC SG on 12/15/17. Order arrived on 12/19/17. DBU received on 1/8/18, shipped on the 9th, delivered on the 10th.

Opened it this afternoon:

IHC 4.5mil postage stamp
Nice park, zero pitting
LMR barrel dated 12/53, M 1+, T 2+, chamber in the white
IHC op rod and sights
SA bolt
Trigger group HRA
SA WWII trigger guard
Gas plug is marked with a P and what looks like a pentastar?
Front hand guard matches the stock, rear hand guard is much darker

Stock is a "seasoned" SA GAW w/crossed cannons, stamps are very clear and legible. Many dings and bruises, lockup is good.

It's a Raritan rebuild. Looks like it had a rack number painted in yellow over the rebuild stamp, but someone scraped it off.

I sent in an order for a WRA on 1/3/18. It might have made it to Anniston before they sold out, but we'll see.
View Quote
Does the gas plug star look like an asterisks or a hexagon?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Yeah- it's a hexagon, no star or asterisk. When I first saw it I was reminded of the hood ornament on

my step-father's Plymouth in the 1980s. The Mopar pentastar.

Any idea of the make?
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Barrel- SA 1945
ME2, TE3

Stock is very nice but has some rack scarring and is "AN" marked indicating this was an Anniston repair/rebuild program rifle. This fits with the chamber area being parkerized and not "in the white" as they usually are. The gas tube/front sight, poppet valve, and lock are are refinished.

Other than the rack scarring on the stock (or it was piled in a van with some other rifles) it's much nicer looking than my other service grade greek return...the finish on all parts is excellent. I did not expect a mostly correct rifle in a WRA as they were all older guns and went through a lot. All-in-all very happy.
View Quote
How/where is the "AN" marked on your Winchester?  Mine came with a Winchester barrel with the same readings as yours. I see on the right side of the stock in the right light the remnants of a large "AN" applied maybe with a grease pencil.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:41:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yeah- it's a hexagon, no star or asterisk. When I first saw it I was reminded of the hood ornament on

my step-father's Plymouth in the 1980s. The Mopar pentastar.

Any idea of the make?
View Quote
Elastic Stop Nut Corporation   Union, NJ

I think they supplied replacement parts '44-'45
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Triple tap
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 9:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Elastic Stop Nut Corporation   Union, NJ

I think they supplied replacement parts '44-'45
View Quote
Cool. I have another with the same symbol. Always wondered what was up.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Barrel- SA 1945
ME2, TE3

View Quote
Often you will see stabs of the tip of the op rod handle ear in the wood or a rosette from an elevation knob.   They would layer rifles in a giant cardboard box.   A later of rifles in one direction and the next layer in the perpendicular direction.  Lots of rings from the packaging with a lot of weight from numerous layers of guns on top.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Cool. I have another with the same symbol. Always wondered what was up.

Thanks!
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

How/where is the "AN" marked on your Winchester?  Mine came with a Winchester barrel with the same readings as yours. I see on the right side of the stock in the right light the remnants of a large "AN" applied maybe with a grease pencil.
View Quote
Stamped with a letter punch on the left side of the buttstock. There are also some stampings on the receiver leg but I have not dug into them yet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2018 12:27:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Did anyone else assume that orders for WRAs and IHCs could NOT be placed until Jan. 1, 2018?

Reading the website (I've purchased 2 M1s from CMP over the past few years), I was under the impression that they weren't accepting orders for those rifles until Jan. 1, 2018.

I dutifully waited and mailed my order in on Jan. 2. My order was sent certified mail, and arrived on Jan. 5th for 1 ea (WRA and IHC) but haven't received any confirmation.

Perhaps I'm an idiot but that's how I read the listings.

Signed,

Hopeful
Link Posted: 1/21/2018 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Did anyone else assume that orders for WRAs and IHCs could NOT be placed until Jan. 1, 2018?

Reading the website (I've purchased 2 M1s from CMP over the past few years), I was under the impression that they weren't accepting orders for those rifles until Jan. 1, 2018.

I dutifully waited and mailed my order in on Jan. 2. My order was sent certified mail, and arrived on Jan. 5th for 1 ea (WRA and IHC) but haven't received any confirmation.

Signed,

Hopeful
View Quote
No I figured it meant that if you already got your 2017 for the year they weren't holding your paperwork for a 2018 for you
Link Posted: 1/22/2018 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Signed,

Hopeful
View Quote
The language of the announcement was a bit confusing to some. Many members of the CMP forums also interpreted the phrasing to mean no orders before January 1, so you weren't alone.

I never saw a clarification issued by the CMP. I could have missed it, but I'd never seen a "pre-release" announcement made on the Garand rifle sales page either. I assumed I was safe to order

an IHC SG in 2017 since I hadn't ordered one since 2015.

I reasoned the January 1 date was given because the south store had had IHCs and WRAs available on and off for the last several months of 2017 with a one per-grade per-year limit. An in store

purchase was the same in the CMP's eyes as a mail order. WRA SGs and FGs were available last summer mail order too, with a one per year limit. The "new" December 14 mail order release of

WRAs and IHCs retained the same rules. If you'd already gotten a SG in 2017, you had to wait until January 1 to order another.
Link Posted: 1/23/2018 12:45:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the clarification. Glad it wasn't just me.

I did get my order in on Jan. 5th and received my DBU email on Jan. 18th:

We have received and verified your recent order. You will receive other emails as the order progresses.

Your customer # is 3XXXXX. The order will not show as pending on the estore  until the Sales Department processes and assigns an order number to it. If you have any problems logging onto the estore, please let us know.

The shipping time will be determined by the amount of orders ahead of your order.

Thank you for your order and your support of our program.

Melissa Smith
Customer Relations Supervisor
Civilian Marksmanship Program
256-835-8455

These will be my 3rd and 4th Garands, and will complete my set.

The Garand has fully revived my love of firearms. The storied history of the gun alone is incredible.

It's a bad addiction but one that I'm ok admitting.

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 3:21:45 PM EDT
[#33]
UPDATE:

This morning I got a DBU for the Winchester SG order, mailed on 1/3/18, regular USPS.

Hoping I don't get home from work and find the dreaded, "You didn't make the cut, but we'll offer you..." phone message.

Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#34]
FYI:

IHC SGs are available again as of this morning.

I'm sitting this one out. Go get 'em, guys!

Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I drove out to the S store from Texas when the IHCs popped back up for sale.  Despite the fact I drove there 3 weeks earlier just as the IHCs ran out.  That trip I bought a 42 WRA and a 44 SA M1D.

The IHC I picked up was very nice.

USGI stock with a nice crisp SA/NFR cartouche
IHC bolt
IHC rear sights
IHC op rod
LMR barrel
WRA gas cylinder
SA narrow front sight
mixmaster trigger group.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#36]
UPDATE:

The SG WRA I ordered on 1/3/18 shipped this morning. Order showed up in the e-store on 2/1/18, a day after I got the DBU.

Serial number shows it to be a 4/43.

Lots of concern on the CMP boards about the condition of the rifles being shipped lately. Never seen so much anxiety over there.

Some of the Turk returns are really worn, and the lower grades are being sent/sold in hackberry stocks. The PI rifles are

said to be rough too from the few persons who've actually seen samples. Who knows? I stickied for USGI wood, but I'll be

happy at this point with a rifle that meets the SG criteria in a new walnut stock. Ah, the elusive WRA.....
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 5:14:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
My last two have been Turkish and the condition in grade but at the lower end for sure.  Sandy and dirty as hell also.

I'm currently debating on a gap letter IHC locally for sale, ton of IHC parts for $725.   It's an import so it's stamped but it's on the barrel behind the LMR
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#40]
A gap letter IHC for $725? Even with the import stamp (especially hidden) I'd probably jump all over that!

Did either of you get rifles with hackberry wood? Others have mentioned breaking their rifles down and

finding sand, dirt, grass, and even wood splinters.

Mark Johnson- CMP COO- posted that USGI walnut would be harder to get for now.

On 3/13 he wrote:

"Turkish M1s have ugly wood on them. The metal components are average. If the wood is un-servicable
we replace it. We are replacing an "alarming" amount of wood, hence the use of Hackberry stock sets.
The Hackberry we have tested extensively and it is servicable and it meets our grading criteria. Wood is
going to be an issue going forward for some time. If you want Walnut, newly manufactured or issued,
buy a Service Grade."

My WRA is one flight away from the local depot. I'll probably put a hold on it and try to pick it up after

lunch today. If not, then tomorrow. Will report back.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:22:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I have three rifles on order currently (a FG, a SG and one IHC SG).  Can those of you that have received a Turkey return please post pics so I know what to expect?   with the backlog on the service grade rifles, it makes me wonder if I will end up with a Philippine Garand.
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 8:40:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Final Update:

WRA SG: Order mailed USPS 1/3/18, DBU 1/31/18, e-Store 2/1/18, shipped 3/14/18, received 3/15/18.

Shipped in black Flambeau case, note on packing list saying "*No USGI Available*" I'd stickied for USGI wood.

Park is worn but even on the receiver and barrel, heel struck about average, patina on sight base, receiver shows
some wear along the wood line, no pitting, chamber in the white.

Receiver: 4/43
Bolt: SA
Barrel: SA 4/63, M-2+, T-2, armorer's tag dated 3/8/18, bore is shiny, crown decent
Op Rod: SA post war, looks new (reparked? would they do that?), gas tube looks low mileage also
Sights: DRC/NIC
Trigger group: Housing IHC, Hammer, HRA, Safety unmarked
Trigger guard: Post war
Gas Plug: P with hexagon
Stock set: All new CMP walnut, few tiny scratches but really nice

Rifle is extremely clean on the inside with a light coating of oil in many areas. Turk return? Who knows. Overall very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#46]
The bitching about the Hackberry field grades on the CMP forum is amusing.

Doubtless it'll make those guns a little harder for the resellers, but things were always going to start drying up at some point. I'm just happy they still have the rifles available.

Betting that the Filipino guns are going to have rough wood as well
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:44:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah there's a lot of complaining over there about those stocks. I would rather have a beat-up piece of G I would then a new stock though.
View Quote
Yeah but would you want that Turkish driftwood?
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#49]
The wood is probably the most "fragile" thing on a Garand because of the rifle's design and the material. All of those MAP return Service Grade Special SAs and HRAs the CMP
was selling 5-10 years ago were supposedly missing the stocks in part because many were pirated by the MAP recipients for issued rifles.

4 years ago I was sent a nice pair of HRAs in new wood and figured they were running low on USGI stocks. Many were being shipped with CMP wood back then.
Two of my most recent purchases, both WRAs, have come in new wood. I did get what I suspect was an Anniston hoard IHC in a USGI stock in between WRAs, but that rifle
was supposedly in storage at Anniston since as early as the late 1970s before it was delivered to me.

CMP walnut is very nice and can solve a lot of problems with these rifles. I like it as an alternative, but some guys don't care and don't want it. They'll gamble on a Field Grade
because it is/was supposed to come in a USGI stock. That matters more to them than higher M/T readings or more finish wear versus a SG. Cost is also an issue.

I'm thankful to have gotten those 2 WRAs, as they allowed me to round out the 4 manufacturers. Would I have preferred nice USGI stocks? Yes. Am I disappointed that they came
with new wood? Not really. Now, as far as hackberry stocks with no provisions in the butt stock for cleaning kits and such, I'll pass. I'm probably done with buying from the CMP
for a while, at least until something else shakes out. My wallet is thankful.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Yeah there's a lot of complaining over there about those stocks. I would rather have a beat-up piece of G I would then a new stock though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The bitching about the Hackberry field grades on the CMP forum is amusing.

Doubtless it'll make those guns a little harder for the resellers, but things were always going to start drying up at some point. I'm just happy they still have the rifles available.
Betting that the Filipino guns are going to have rough wood as well
Those CMP Forum roscoes need to get a grip. It all depends on what you want the rifle for ...

If you want a great "shooter" out of the box, you cannot beat CMP's "Special" M1s that come with a new .308 or .30-06 Criterion tube and are dressed in new Dupage wood. They're tops in that category - as a range shooter. The Criterion barrels + the receiver getting a tight lock-up in the new stock = mo' better accuracy.

If you want an M1 for "collector" reasons, so that everything on the M1 is of pure USGI origin  - including the wood  -  that's different. It won't matter if it shoots 25" groups at 50-yds, or whether the barrel's got a TE of 6, a ME of 9, and rifling that's thoroughly frosted, or whether the stock is better suited as kindling for your fireplace. It doesn't matter ...  Likely as not, your all-USGI M1 will be relegated to the back of the safe to be a Never-to-be-Fired Queen, or possibly, you'll hang it on the wall of your Man-Cave as a historic military relic to show to your buds over beers and sports games, and then maybe several decades from now, you'll pass it on to your heirs.

What type of CMP Garand you want, and how much you'll have to pay, is pretty much dictated by your answer to this self-query : What am I getting this M1 for?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top