Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/14/2018 6:48:18 AM EDT
How many cans would you have now?

Would the $200 savings plus a simple 4473 made a difference?

Does waiting 6 - 8 months impact your decision?

To the suppressor companies, how has this impacted your bottom line?

Are cans really just a novel item reserved for the minority of shooting enthusiasts?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:52:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I have 5 now, if it passed I would have over 50
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have bought a bunch day 1. Most would be out of stock trying to keep up with demand.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:11:40 AM EDT
[#3]
If HPA had passed, everything I own that could be suppressed would be suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
In most of the countries where the serfs are allowed to have firearms, cans are an off-the-shelf item.
Its only in truly free countries where cans are heavily restricted and taxed and treated the same as evil machine guns.

As a serf i would have many, as it is only polite and proper to not destroy the peace and tranquility of a shooting range, and i value my hearing.

As a free man, in a free country, i have none, - the cost of freedom keeps me poor , and guns are icky.
What did you say, the sound of freedom is deafening, please speak up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]
It's not a money issue so much as a time and pain in the ass issue. If I could go into a shop, plunk down my money and walk out with a silencer I would own more than the 2 I have now.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd have one for every threaded gun I own.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:37:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
This, or more
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]
The time + cost of stamp is enough of a deterrent that I have none.  If it was OTC with a 4473 Id be making sure to save my money for a couple as the reward for saving up would be immediate instead of 12 months later.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#9]
It didn't and it literally resulted in the least possible number of cans being sold.

Worst Case Scenario, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Stamps haven't really been a factor in buying them, but the wait times definitely are a bad deal. If I didnt have to I might have more, just because it could be easier to impulse buy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's not a money issue so much as a time and pain in the ass issue. If I could go into a shop, plunk down my money and walk out with a silencer I would own more than the 2 I have now.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's not a money issue so much as a time ... issue.
View Quote
For me, it's this. I'm pretty much out of the NFA game as I'm considering changing jobs and moving out of state within the next year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It didn't and it literally resulted in the least possible number of cans being sold.

Worst Case Scenario, IMO.
View Quote
This.  I can tell you from personal experience, having been a ProStaff member for one of the Industry Members here, that the combination of the Trump election and the rumors of the passage of the HPA have been a nearly fatal silver bullet for many companies.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#14]
All I know is this: if you want to own cans some day and you’re not buying them during this presidency, your chances of ever owning any is at risk.

HPA would have been cool, but it’s time to end the fantasy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I would be making my own, lots of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:52:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I would be divorced and broke from spending all my money
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#18]
How many would I own? All of them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:57:21 AM EDT
[#19]
The wait is what gets me, plus having to notify to travel across state lines is somewhat annoying. Mostly the wait is what the issue is though, take away the wait AND the $200 per fee and everything I own would be suppressed minus the revolvers and some of the historical stuff.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably 1 or none given the amount of people who'd immediately buy one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I would probably only own the two that I already have. If it passed, supply and demand would have kept me from getting any more for a while. We would have saved $200 on tax, but quality cans would be at or higher than msrp IF you could find the one you want. The cheap semi disposable ones would flood the market eventually. Actual r&d would suffer as companies complete to make the cheapest can that they could bring to the market. “Solvent traps”, aluminum “rifle” cans, and oil filter thread adapters would kill the major manufacturers. When you could but a $150 can and replace it 4 or 5 times before you get into the good inconel, stelite, and titanium cans’ price range quality and longevity would be a thing of the past. The only ones that I could see making it would be precision rifle cans like tbac where people would still demand the precision for accuracy and minimal poi shift. Most manufacturers would have to tool up to meet demand and could possibly lose in the end after the first few years rush.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The wait is what gets me, plus having to notify to travel across state lines is somewhat annoying. Mostly the wait is what the issue is though, take away the wait AND the $200 per fee and everything I own would be suppressed minus the revolvers and some of the historical stuff.
View Quote
You don't have to notify to travel with silencers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If HPA had passed, everything I own that could be suppressed would be suppressed.
View Quote
this
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:05:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought I had all the suppressors I 'needed' prior to 41F. Then I Saw some good deals and wound up buying 4 more post 41F.  The waits for these was worse. I'm liking having certain specific niche cans now, but the wait is a deal killer.  I've thrown a few Form 1s in the mix. Even if they dont save much money, you can spread the cost out over time and you have 3 years from time of tax paid to get a refund if you don't build.

If the HPA passed I'd have three times as many suppressors and dedicate them to specific hosts.  My hosts are expanding faster than my cans, if that's any indication.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:09:16 AM EDT
[#26]
It’d be about the same for me. I may have only 3-4 more than I have now.  It’s a money thing. I’ve got plenty of time and patience.

After 41F passed I dragged on fingerprints and photos for over a year before I finally got them done and ordered something this year.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:12:10 AM EDT
[#27]
I try not to live in fantasy land where politicians give back Constitutional rights that have already been taken away
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:13:17 AM EDT
[#28]
The wait time and extra cost are definitely factors for me.  I have one SBR lower, and I build around that (multiple uppers) because I'm not going to pay an additional $200 per lower to have a few.  I'd rather spend that $200 for ammo so I can shoot.

Same with suppressors.  I went with a Specwar 762 so that I could use one suppressor on multiple hosts (300 Blackout, 5.56, 308, etc).  If I could avoid the wait and cost, I'd probably have more than one.

When I bought the Specwar, I figured I'd rather start the process right away rather than wait for HPA.  Now I'm glad I did.

I was really curious about how HPA would affect cost in the long run.  I figured costs would rise at first as demand exceeded supply, but as time went by, I hoped prices would come down, which in turn would allow me to afford to buy more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:14:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I would have bought a few more than I have since it’s been in play, but I didn’t sit around waiting for it to pass.

I didn’t put any faith in politicians doing something decent for the people.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I would have at least 2 more. a 9mm and a 556.

I currently have 22, .45 and a 762.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I would be tripping on them in my house because FNY and FUAC
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
100% this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#33]
I might actually have fewer if the HPA had passed. If you could just go out and buy them and then sell them if they didn't fit your needs without the double whammy tax rape more people would be on board. As it sits you either refrain from purchasing silencers or buy way too many.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:35:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Meh, I have taken advantage of The Deals Thread over the years.  I'm flush with cans, but I can't seem to shake the urge for just one more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
there is no “notification” for suppressors and state lines.

SBR’s, yes.

Suppressors, no.

The wait excuse is just that. An excuse.

How long have people been waiting for the “HPA” to pass?

I’ve had 6-7 stamps approved since the HPA started rumbling.

I know people holding out for it to pass, it’s just dumb.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#36]
The funny thing is, the price of cans would just go up $200 or more due to demand and none would ever be in stock.  So why wait. Just fill out  the forms and play by the rules.  I'm still waiting for the HPA, so wait time can't be a reason...  When the HPA first was spoken about, I noticed the price of the suppressors I was looking at jumped in price over night.

It can be a double edged sword.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Unfortunately, we may never know what could happen if HPA passed.  For me, the most exciting result of HPA passage would be the explosion of integrally suppressed firearms.  Imagine a world where Remington, S&W and Ruger are all developing I.S. bolt actions, lever actions & semi-autos!  That's a world I want to live in
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I would definitely in the beginning look into getting one for my AR (if the price was right), as it's the only firearm I have that could accept one (now) without getting the barrel threaded.  I wouldn't get any of my other guns threaded, but pretty much all future firearm purchases would be suppressor-ready.  I would definitely change my home defense pistol to one with a suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:55:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
I would have picked up quite a few over the years if I could walk in, pick one out and take it with me.  Even if we had to pay for the $200 stamp, if I could get it approved, pay for it, and take it with me I would.    The pick it out, pay for it, and wait a year kills the whole thing.   And that's their goal.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:57:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The funny thing is, the price of cans would just go up $200 or more due to demand and none would ever be in stock.  So why wait. Just fill out  the forms and play by the rules.  I'm still waiting for the HPA, so wait time can't be a reason...  When the HPA first was spoken about, I noticed the price of the suppressors I was looking at jumped in price over night.

View Quote
This very thinking is what got me looking at Form 1 builds. If the HPA passed I'd be content making some simpler or specialized cans until the mass market stabilized.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How many cans would you have now? At least 2 (I have none now)

Would the $200 savings plus a simple 4473 made a difference?   Yes

Does waiting 6 - 8 months impact your decision? Yes
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#42]
If the HPA passed it would be like it was on the eve of Jan 20th, 2009 followed by eight years of.................  Seriously.  It would and you all know it.  Nothing in stock. Folks flipping things immediately for insane markup, Q/C out the window as new to the game companies threw whatever they could get off the machines into shipping crates as fast as possible etc..........

The market would be saturated with so much junk and every mall ninja would have come out of the wood work for it all.  Those of us in the know could weed out the HiPoints and Jennings cans but most folks won't know the difference.  Then to see the look of disappointment on their faces at that first range outing with their new supposedly silent doorstops an paperweights.

Anyway.

The long term affect would be positive I think but if something like HPA ever does pass in the short term it's going to be the panic buying frenzy of poor QC crap all over again.  Yes the current arrangement sucks.  But the companies that make these things put just a bit more into the overall end product and I think its worth the hassle currently for a quality end product. Just my opinion.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
There maybe a initial bump in price, but the prices would drop overall.

1- more makers would jump in

2- material costs could come done as makers wouldn’t have to use “lifetime” materials anymore.

3- F1 cans would be amazingly simple to build, and manufactures could offer a build it yourself kit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:41:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How many cans would you have now?

Would the $200 savings plus a simple 4473 made a difference?

Does waiting 6 - 8 months impact your decision?

To the suppressor companies, how has this impacted your bottom line?

Are cans really just a novel item reserved for the minority of shooting enthusiasts?
View Quote
I have one. If it had passed, I would have a bunch more.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#46]
If it passed people would be saying if they were just cheaper I'd finally buy one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:46:19 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would invest in building my own. Instead of all the BS hoops you have to jump through.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:47:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That's a world I want to live in
View Quote
Me too. I think the founding fathers would agree!
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:48:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This, or more
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This, or more
Yep, but you better be quick cause everywhere would have been OOS day 1
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top