Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2019 3:40:25 PM EDT
I use thermals quite a lot, but sorta want to play with I2 as a side mistress.  I have a D740 on the way.   What’s it’s  scanner partner.....does that conversation begin and end with the pvs14?  I sold mine a couple of years ago. I’m not getting dynamic and I don’t want to wear a helmet; I’m drinking beer looking at shit in large fields and some valleys, 100 to 1000 yards. Is the 10x magnifier too much for human sized targets?  What’s the best use for the 10x magnifier, and the 3x?  Is there anything else I should look at besides the 14 I guess is what I’m asking?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#1]
thermal. Pulsar. Helion
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I use thermals quite a lot, but sorta want to play with I2 as a side mistress.  I have a D740 on the way.   What’s it’s  scanner partner.....does that conversation begin and end with the pvs14?  I sold mine a couple of years ago. I’m not getting dynamic and I don’t want to wear a helmet; I’m drinking beer looking at shit in large fields and some valleys, 100 to 1000 yards. Is the 10x magnifier too much for human sized targets?  What’s the best use for the 10x magnifier, and the 3x?  Is there anything else I should look at besides the 14 I guess is what I’m asking?
View Quote
if you just HAVE to get a hand held I2 scanner, there is a 10x Armasight Avenger in the EE. You’ll need a tube for it though. Probably need a tripod to set it on to keep it steady as well... still, it seems like a really good price.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-Exchange/Armasight-Avenger-10x-housing-and-glass-Skull-Crusher-LOTS-OF-PICS-price-drop/172-1826102/
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:54:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
thermal. Pulsar. Helion
View Quote
I have thermals covered and then some.  Yeah Lilmac that’s what I was looking at.   Never used a 10x magnifier though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#4]
that is a lot of mag and i wonder how big the FOV is. Would it even be usable? I thought about buying it, but then I don't know what tube I'd put in it...
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 9:33:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I would urge you to reconsider not wanting a helmet. It’s such an awesome thing to be able to scan around hands free. If you are using a magnifier it will probably be better handheld. But with no magnifier it is soooo much better. IMO at least.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:58:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a team hillary and the whole set up.  I’m in and out of a truck or a ranger all night and I was always bashing into shit wit the 14 up.

I guess the answer to my question is the pvs14.   This may seem like an self indulgent exercise, probably it is.   So i’m gonna end up with another 14 after i broke up with her.
 Someone tell me about magnifiers please.  Scanning fields out to 1000’yards.  Do I need one?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I had a team hillary and the whole set up.  I’m in and out of a truck or a ranger all night and I was always bashing into shit wit the 14 up.

I guess the answer to my question is the pvs14.   This may seem like an self indulgent exercise, probably it is.   So i’m gonna end up with another 14 after i broke up with her.
 Someone tell me about magnifiers please.  Scanning fields out to 1000’yards.  Do I need one?
View Quote
What mount did you use?
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What mount did you use?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What mount did you use?
This. For a single PVS14 and getting out of a truck or ranger, INVG all day. Maybe a LoSto will get it close to as low.

INVG allows it to not only rotate UP, but also back close to the head. Really brings it in tight.

Legacy INVG (screw type elevation adjustment)
(Caution,  cool movie voice over guy!)
Night Vistion Helmet Mounts - Norotos INVG HMA

Just a Norotos employee showing off the INVG Hyper.

Also, if you’re diving back into the PVS14 space, go ahead and get an L3 filmless high spec tube. You’re out in the middle of nowhere and you’ll need every bit of luminosity to see into shadows. Furthermore, if you decide you don’t like the WP, you’ll be more likely to get more of your $ back out of it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 1:58:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes you're going to want magnification for scanning at 1000 yds lol.
Link Posted: 1/19/2019 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes you're going to want magnification for scanning at 1000 yds lol.
View Quote
Thanks for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top