Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2022 3:19:09 AM EDT
Maybe in Number 4,1 and 00 or even 000 buck.

Heavier than lead or tungsten.

I believe you. Could take a deer or even a bear if they where getting away wounded.

Plus the penetration up close should be way better than hardened lead.

15 bucks a shot though  but a box of 25 should last a lifetime.

#7 penetrated 5 inches plus at 100 yards with I think 16 or.17 hits on a turkey head or.neck.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 4:32:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Uranium shot pellets?
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:22:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#3]
It is a Tungsten alloy, made up of mostly Tungsten, Nickel and iron to come up with a density slightly greater than lead.

Big advantages are

1) "non" toxic (whatever that means almost any substance is toxic when ingested in quantity or errantly  Table salt is toxic as an example).
2) one of the few non-toxic alloys that has as much or more density than lead - carries its energy well to the target.
3) for smaller projectiles that shed precious energy rapidly -  like shot  AND where hunters are forced to use non-tox it does as good as lead or better for not shedding energy.  Example steel shot sucks at range because less dense steel sheds energy more rapidly than lead.
4) bird / shot hunters need good dense ammo that is non-tox.

On larger projectiles, like slugs or buck - Where lead is commonly still employed - I'd say the juice isn't worth the squeeze.  There is some performance gain, but not necessarily going to get you much unless you are in a non-tox ammo location.

Lead slugs are huge and don't shed that much energy - their weakness is that if lead alloy is too soft, they don't penetrate well and mushroom too quickly on large game - an alloy that makes it "harder" (lead with antimony,+tin) and allows better penetration is more of an advantage than soft but denser lead.  Density is only part of the equation.

Nontheless its interesting and I would like to see a slug gel test of the new Federal stuff anyway.

Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Some of my hunting buddies have started using 410 and #9 TSS shot for turkey, with great success.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#5]
This was my first year using TSS shells for turkeys. Rolled a big Tom at 35 with my 20ga 1100.

The TSS easily gives 12ga performance out of a 20ga.

I'll never turkey hunt without them again.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:29:40 PM EDT
[#6]
It's 56%denser than lead. You can get 41 numerous 4 buck in a 3 inch shell. If it penetrats enough it would make a good hail Mary shot on a wounded animal that may get away.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 7:52:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve been using Hevi-shot for years on turkeys. It’s either bismuth or tungsten.
Can’t remember.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:10:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Awesome slo-mo footage of the turkey target!
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve been using Hevi-shot for years on turkeys. It’s either bismuth or tungsten.
Can’t remember.
View Quote

Bismuth is about halfway between steel and lead for density.

Pure tungsten is quite a bit denser than lead so it's blended with stuff to get the density to where they want.  I believe pure tungsten is too difficult to work with. Pure tungsten has a density of 19.25 gm/cc vs lead at about 11 gm /cc.  and it's very expensive.  The higher density tungsten based shot is 18 gm/cc. Most of the hevi-shot products are about 15gm/cc iirc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top