Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2018 5:20:12 AM EDT
I want an M1 Carbine but I don't know if I should look for an old one or one of new manufacture.  I will shoot it as I do my M1 and M1A, so which route should I go?  I'd really like an M2 but my wife would kill me if I dropped that kind of cash on a toy.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 6:39:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Find an estate or old guy selling one ... don’t settle for a ,mixmaster or new.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Find an estate or old guy selling one ... don’t settle for a ,mixmaster or new.
View Quote
New has no historical provenance. By design ALL Carbines are mixmaster. Common sharing of parts between manufacturers during build was the plan for efficient production during WWII.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Stick with USGI
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 11:15:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, a LOT of people want one too, so it's a sellers market.  I have a friend who is looking for one - his dad's TO&E weapon on Iwo Jima - and they can command some nice prices on the various auction sites.  Specifically, he's looking for a Winchester, which his dad carried.  They usually got north of a grand, unless they are full of import marks (which lowers the price).

I would recommend you get an original rifle over a new build.  There is nothing like holding and shooting a piece of history.
Link Posted: 2/25/2018 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't beat a true GI M1 Carbine for holding it's value, however, as others have said, it's expensive to get one that's even half way decent.  If you want a good shooter, you'll likely be looking at upwards of a grand to get a good example; 7 to 8 bills for something decent that might not shoot well or have a small issue.  I've had my high wood, pristine '43 NPM GI carbine since the early 70s and it's in such good shape, it now too valuable to shoot as I'm saving it for my son's collection.  So back a number of years ago I went looking for a GI shooter and couldn't find anything that was decent at anywhere near what I thought was a decent price so I looked at a new Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine.

No, it ain't GI but neither is Fulton Armory's nor Inland's either and they both cost a ton more.  No, the NIB AO I got turned out to be a significantly better shooter (exactly what I wanted it for) than even my pristine barreled NPM .  It's able to produce right at 2 MOA groups with my handloads which is considerably better than all the GI carbines can shoot (Acceptance was 5 MOA).  Best of all, it was 100% new and not a piece of history if something breaks.  I use it often and with over 4K rds through it I pleasantly surprised with it's reliability and accuracy.  Coupled with the Korean mags I got from AIM, it's been a real joy and it cost me considerably less than a 70yr old GI carbine.

So, if you want history, spend the money and get a real GI carbine and be prepared to deal with any problems it has.  However, if you want another shooter that looks like a GI rifle like your M1A is, check out AO's carbine.  You might just decide it fits your needs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You can't beat a true GI M1 Carbine for holding it's value, however, as others have said, it's expensive to get one that's even half way decent.  If you want a good shooter, you'll likely be looking at upwards of a grand to get a good example; 7 to 8 bills for something decent that might not shoot well or have a small issue.  I've had my high wood, pristine '43 NPM GI carbine since the early 70s and it's in such good shape, it now too valuable to shoot as I'm saving it for my son's collection.  So back a number of years ago I went looking for a GI shooter and couldn't find anything that was decent at anywhere near what I thought was a decent price so I looked at a new Auto Ordnance M1 Carbine.

No, it ain't GI but neither is Fulton Armory's nor Inland's either and they both cost a ton more.  No, the NIB AO I got turned out to be a significantly better shooter (exactly what I wanted it for) than even my pristine barreled NPM .  It's able to produce right at 2 MOA groups with my handloads which is considerably better than all the GI carbines can shoot (Acceptance was 5 MOA).  Best of all, it was 100% new and not a piece of history if something breaks.  I use it often and with over 4K rds through it I pleasantly surprised with it's reliability and accuracy.  Coupled with the Korean mags I got from AIM, it's been a real joy and it cost me considerably less than a 70yr old GI carbine.

So, if you want history, spend the money and get a real GI carbine and be prepared to deal with any problems it has.  However, if you want another shooter that looks like a GI rifle like your M1A is, check out AO's carbine.  You might just decide it fits your needs.
View Quote
This is not a bad way to go.  Steve, I don't know if I've asked you this.   Do you know if USGI parts can be used on them?   Are they made to spec?  I think I've heard yes, but just wondering if you know or have experience.

I would not be against recommending a USGI one either.  But they will cost more.  No doubt about it.

Here's my son shooting a USGI carbine:

Link Posted: 2/26/2018 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I agree that the Fulton Armory's M1 Carbine is nice and truer to a mil spec GI carbine, however, at $1,400 (sale) vs $750 (Bud's) the extra $650 cash could go to a sling, mags, and a whole lot of ammo.  I'm sure for the average shooter that either would work just fine as the average guy ain't GI Joe.  I've got a great example of both a GI and an AO.  The AO works great for what I want; a recreational shooter.  It's on a par with my commercial Springfield M1A and I'm extremely happy with both.

But again, the choice is the buyer's and what he/she feels works best for them.

ETA:  JJREA, I don't know if GI parts will work with AO's.  You might want to check with them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:32:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I know an elderly gentleman here at home who collects M1 Carbines and Lugers, I may go see him and see if he's willing to part with a Carbine.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Ooooo.  There you go.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I just got an M1 carbine with an IBM reciver and barrell in a RockOla stock. It's mint and was on my list to get for years.

Will post a pic when I get back from a week on the road.
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought I did too till I got one
Link Posted: 3/26/2018 11:26:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Then what happened?
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:24:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Then what happened?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then what happened?
Sold it and got an M1
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 12:48:54 PM EDT
[#15]
You're supposed to get both.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Boy I've loved the M1 Carbine since I was a kid studying WWII books. Plus, it may be the last semi-auto rifle we can own since it's largely featureless. Fluffy convinced me to get a Garand 3-4 years ago. Next is an M1A, then I might look at the Carbine if money is still available.

I wish someone made an M1 Carbine type weapon in .308.
Link Posted: 3/27/2018 6:08:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Boy I've loved the M1 Carbine since I was a kid studying WWII books. Plus, it may be the last semi-auto rifle we can own since it's largely featureless. Fluffy convinced me to get a Garand 3-4 years ago. Next is an M1A, then I might look at the Carbine if money is still available.

View Quote
It's called the SOCOM 16.
Link Posted: 3/28/2018 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a BM59 Carbine

Link Posted: 3/28/2018 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or a BM59 Carbine

https://cdn.classicfirearms.com/catalog/product/cache/1/image/580x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/u/n/unspecified-16_2.jpeg
Well lookee there!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2018 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Bought my ‘43 NPM M1 carbine a few years ago at a MI gun show.... paid $750.... I felt really good.  Have not shot it much over the years... my kids Love shooting it.   Pulled it out last weekend.... obliterated clay pigeons at 50yds... slide the peep back and hit steel gong at 200 a couple times as my 58yr old eyes weep just a bit at distance.   I read one poster say this piece should be put away and relegated to safe duty..... I say let it Breathe!!!

I am SO proud to own a piece of history !!!  My kids can enjoy Long after me... but I am going to shoot it more before my fingers get cold.... sorry kids!!
HH
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:45:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I, too, want a M1 carbine.  I inherited 2000 rounds of .30 carbine and a magazine, but never found the rifle.  I'm hoping CMP will come across more of them.  Any chance of that?
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I too, wish that CMP would have more M1 Carbines again.

BUT, the last time (Greek guns).....
IIRC, they were close to the same price as an M1 Garand.  For me, I went for the M1 Garands.  OK, Ok, ok....being that M1 Carbines have shot up faster in value maybe/probably I made the wrong choice.  Whatever.

And, that being said.....IMHO, the M1 Garand is a superior rifle for accuracy vs the M1 Carbine (speaking of 100 yds. and beyond).   Stop, stop, stop.....I don't need guys bragging about their M1 Carbine can do this and that.  I'm saying, generally.   With GI ammo.....a stock M1 Garand will out shoot a stock M1 Carbine.

Yup.....I know.  Ammo is cheaper with the M1 Carbine vs ammo for the M1 Garand.  And, the M1 Carbine is more compact, lighter, cuter, whatever.....

So then, why not compare.....M1 Carbine vs. AR Carbine?  Accuracy, intended capabilities, ammo costs/availability, history, up grades, parts, etc., etc....

For me.....I like accuracy.  A lot.

LOL. I guess there was/is a reason why I've avoided them (the M1 Carbine).  Mind you that, I'm not saying that I wouldn't never ever go for a good M1 Carbine.  But, it'll have to be cheap enough.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Bought my ‘43 NPM M1 carbine a few years ago at a MI gun show.... paid $750.... I felt really good.  Have not shot it much over the years... my kids Love shooting it.   Pulled it out last weekend.... obliterated clay pigeons at 50yds... slide the peep back and hit steel gong at 200 a couple times as my 58yr old eyes weep just a bit at distance.   I read one poster say this piece should be put away and relegated to safe duty..... I say let it Breathe!!!

I am SO proud to own a piece of history !!!  My kids can enjoy Long after me... but I am going to shoot it more before my fingers get cold.... sorry kids!!
HH
View Quote
Update:   Youngest son and I shot this carbine very recently.  Slid the sight to farthest point forward and dusted clay pigeons on the 50yd bank. Slid it back to 2 and popped a 12” gong at 200yds.   Man it felt So  good.  What a tool still Today!!

H
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 7:31:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Thought I found one today. Turns out it was a .22lr clone.
Link Posted: 4/8/2018 10:21:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I too, wish that CMP would have more M1 Carbines again.

BUT, the last time (Greek guns).....
IIRC, they were close to the same price as an M1 Garand.  For me, I went for the M1 Garands.  OK, Ok, ok....being that M1 Carbines have shot up faster in value maybe/probably I made the wrong choice.  Whatever.

And, that being said.....IMHO, the M1 Garand is a superior rifle for accuracy vs the M1 Carbine (speaking of 100 yds. and beyond).   Stop, stop, stop.....I don't need guys bragging about their M1 Carbine can do this and that.  I'm saying, generally.   With GI ammo.....a stock M1 Garand will out shoot a stock M1 Carbine.

Yup.....I know.  Ammo is cheaper with the M1 Carbine vs ammo for the M1 Garand.  And, the M1 Carbine is more compact, lighter, cuter, whatever.....

So then, why not compare.....M1 Carbine vs. AR Carbine?  Accuracy, intended capabilities, ammo costs/availability, history, up grades, parts, etc., etc....

For me.....I like accuracy.  A lot.

LOL. I guess there was/is a reason why I've avoided them (the M1 Carbine).  Mind you that, I'm not saying that I wouldn't never ever go for a good M1 Carbine.  But, it'll have to be cheap enough.

Aloha, Mark
View Quote
Well, if you compare them with your handgun, then your opinion might be better.  That was their reason for being.  To give it to a soldier instead of a 1911.  Has a bit more capability.

You left out capacity.  15 rounds verses 8.   And if you don't compare it to a pistol, it really should be compared to a pistol caliber carbine.  Because that's basically what it is.   A spitzer bullet by design is going to be more accurate than a rounded off bullet.  I think.  And it's jut not really a rifle round.  The closest caliber it resembles is a 110 grain .357.

That being said, maybe somebody with a .357 lever or the ruger bolt my pull 1-2 moa groups.  I don't know.  But my M-1 Carbine was basically a 4-5 MOA gun.  I think probably closer to 5.  But I think I got some 100 groups in the 4-1/2" range.  I might have even gotten smaller than 4 at some point.  I'd have to go back and look at my targets.  Certainly better than I could do with a handgun.  I don't have another pcc to compare accuracy with it though.

Follow up shots are heck of a lot quicker with a carbine.  Just sayin...  At 25 yards and under, that might prove useful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top