Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2023 4:46:36 AM EDT
Was at a museum recently and they had some excellent examples of historical blunderbusses, including Naval models. Ex Navy here, so it resonated as I can see the utility for CQB on old sailing ships.

Now, I'm kinda wanting one due to principal of a smoothbore will pretty much shoot anything you got, ie. bits of metal, gravel, etc.

If you were in the market where would you shop for such a fine instrument?  I want a shooter but not to get crazy. I'm a nerd so educating my teenagers as to history and use would be main goal, as well as just having fun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay away of made in India models but I think Traditions is a good option. First find a source of Black Powder there is only one place with in an hour drive of me.

BP is very very corrosive get at it with hot soapy water after every use.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/traditions-flintlock-blunderbuss-kit-54-caliber-kr510
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the lead. I like that one. Black powder is easy to find online and I'm aware of the corrosive issues.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 12:46:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Stay away of made in India models but I think Traditions is a good option. First find a source of Black Powder there is only one place with in an hour drive of me.

BP is very very corrosive get at it with hot soapy water after every use.

https://muzzle-loaders.com/products/traditions-flintlock-blunderbuss-kit-54-caliber-kr510
View Quote

sweet!  i hunted with a kit gun growing up.  I wish that they were not so expensive nowadays.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually, the Indian made guns can be a good deal as long as you go with a reputable dealer like Loyalist Arms, Veteran Arms or  Military Heritage as they have a good reputation for getting in the better quality Indian guns and are willing to work with you if you get a bad one. Yes, you do need to drill the flash hole and maybe have to harden the frizzen or other slight tuning but if you’re able to tinker with them a little, they will perform alright.
Honestly, I am not a big fan of Traditions muzzle loaders and their blunderbuss is no exception.  It just has that look of a cheap flintlock cobbled together in some Pakistani back alley gun shop with a funnel screwed on the end and honestly, where in the hell is the ramrod on this thing?  Maybe they work alright but I just can’t get past the aesthetics of it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:40:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually, the Indian made guns can be a good deal as long as you go with a reputable dealer like Loyalist Arms, Veteran Arms or  Military Heritage as they have a good reputation for getting in the better quality Indian guns and are willing to work with you if you get a bad one. Yes, you do need to drill the flash hole and maybe have to harden the frizzen or other slight tuning but if you’re able to tinker with them a little, they will perform alright.
Honestly, I am not a big fan of Traditions muzzle loaders and their blunderbuss is no exception.  It just has that look of a cheap flintlock cobbled together in some Pakistani back alley gun shop with a funnel screwed on the end and honestly, where in the hell is the ramrod on this thing?  Maybe they work alright but I just can’t get past the aesthetics of it.
View Quote

Funny you mention the missing ramrod.  Was just looking at photos I recently took of some blunderbusses in a museum. Nearly all of them had ramrods. Their bell wasn't nearly as wide as the Traditions model also which made it easier to fit a rod to the design

I'm liking this flintlock one below from Sitting Fox mo better, even as a Lefty.

ETA, turns out if you email him and nicely ask if he will make one left handed, he replies within minutes and not only can, but at the same price. I think I know what I'm getting. The K-4 in ten gauge seems more realistic to me than the 4 gauge model.

https://www.sittingfoxmuzzleloaders.com/k-4/
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:46:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Something to consider is that the locks on Traditions flintlocks are small. It can be tricky to get the flint fitted and secured just right. They can be made to work, but it would be worth the extra money to get a better one. I don't think Traditions or CVA flintlocks are worth the aggravation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:30:39 PM EDT
[#7]
1.052 inch bore. Just what I need. Keep them neighbor kids in there own damn yard.

I'm left handed and left eye dominante so this is a big plus.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:10:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one. Brass, 10gauge and heavy as hell. Get one.Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/13/2023 12:04:59 AM EDT
[#9]
View Quote

¿Loyalist Arms "French Blunderbuss"?
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 7:41:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

¿Loyalist Arms "French Blunderbuss"?
View Quote

I got it from a black powder store. It must had come from one of the 3 indian importers. I have to look at the markings if it is "french" or "english" .
after further review https://www.muzzleloadershop.com/factory-guns/loyalist-arms/.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

That is so damn cool. Thanks for posting and sharing a photo. I was leaning towards the 10 gauge version.  But I'm now wondering how the 4 gauge is to handle. It's not like I'd ever shoot it all that much or with full power loads.

My instincts tell me to go with 10 gauge. Any feedback on practical differences between the two?

Link Posted: 4/15/2023 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Funny you mention the missing ramrod.  Was just looking at photos I recently took of some blunderbusses in a museum. Nearly all of them had ramrods. Their bell wasn't nearly as wide as the Traditions model also which made it easier to fit a rod to the design

I'm liking this flintlock one below from Sitting Fox mo better, even as a Lefty.

ETA, turns out if you email him and nicely ask if he will make one left handed, he replies within minutes and not only can, but at the same price. I think I know what I'm getting. The K-4 in ten gauge seems more realistic to me than the 4 gauge model.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I built one of these kits a few years ago.  I'm a noob so it has all sorts of cosmetic fuck ups and looks ugly but it works.  The .54 bore on the traditions is pathetic in comparison.

I don't shoot it often since it goes through powder and lead like crazy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Won't have to drill Loyalist Arms flintlock muskets.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top