Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Posted: 4/22/2020 11:52:48 PM EDT
I think it’s time to get a Microtech. I really don’t like big pocket / EDC knives so I’m interested in the UTX-85. Anyone have anything to say about them?

Looking at single edge blade in either black or tan.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:50:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Go for it. I've moved away from benchmade, microtech and spydy's have filled all roles.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
good to go. Check out pvkvegas and thehollowgrind
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 8:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the 85 and love it. I have sold some in the past thinking it was just a fad for me but regret it immediately so now I keep one regardless.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two ultratechs, some of the finest knives in my collection. Judging by them, you won't regret buying anything else from Microtech.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
That's great...I'm going to FO. There is a Microtech dealer 15 miles away so going to try to check with them first before I order online.

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#6]
You can't go wrong with the UTX85. Really the perfect size for EDC carry. I've owned a few and all have been good to go.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can't go wrong with the UTX85. Really the perfect size for EDC carry. I've owned a few and all have been good to go.
View Quote

For me, the UTX85 was a hair small in the hand.

The Ultratech fits my grip very well.
I’d suggest OP try the range of sizes if possible before buying.

Luckily a friend had both a UTX and Ultratech for me to try before I laid my money out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:54:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Look at Heretic knives.  Founder of Mircrotech's son owns it.  The new Manticore E just came out.....very close to the Troodon and half the price.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:06:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

For me, the UTX85 was a hair small in the hand.

The Ultratech fits my grip very well.
I’d suggest OP try the range of sizes if possible before buying.

Luckily a friend had both a UTX and Ultratech for me to try before I laid my money out.
View Quote

I know the dealer in my AO has both, just trying to find some time to get over there a take a look.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By OiRogers:

For me, the UTX85 was a hair small in the hand.

The Ultratech fits my grip very well.
I’d suggest OP try the range of sizes if possible before buying.

Luckily a friend had both a UTX and Ultratech for me to try before I laid my money out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By OiRogers:
Originally Posted By pokey074:
You can't go wrong with the UTX85. Really the perfect size for EDC carry. I've owned a few and all have been good to go.

For me, the UTX85 was a hair small in the hand.

The Ultratech fits my grip very well.
I’d suggest OP try the range of sizes if possible before buying.

Luckily a friend had both a UTX and Ultratech for me to try before I laid my money out.

See, I thought the Ultratech was great for a work knife, but a little to big for an EDC knife. But I'm also weird and like smaller and larger versions of the same knife.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one, and that tiny one, and a regular ultratech. I found the 85 to be too boxy. I had been carrying a launch 6 or whatever for the better part of a year, so I liked the flat/wide style more. Ended up with a Combat Troodon since I really wanted a beefy glass breaker. It's not small, but it's a hell of a product. I've edc-ed them for about 2 years now. I could easily sell it for what I'm into it, but every time I think about it I fire it and I'm not interested in selling it any more.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think it’s time to get a Microtech. I really don’t like big pocket / EDC knives so I’m interested in the UTX-85. Anyone have anything to say about them?

Looking at single edge blade in either black or tan.
View Quote

I have several microtech knives and so far my favorite EDC has been the Dirac DE the weight and size are perfect and the price is great compared to the combat troodon. If you’re strictly looking for single edge go for the ultra tech over the 85 the size difference isn’t noticeable while carrying but the ultra tech will be a work horse for you if you get one. Or just buy both!
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:40:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Tomahawk84:

I have several microtech knives and so far my favorite EDC has been the Dirac DE the weight and size are perfect and the price is great compared to the combat troodon. If you’re strictly looking for single edge go for the ultra tech over the 85 the size difference isn’t noticeable while carrying but the ultra tech will be a work horse for you if you get one. Or just buy both!
View Quote

How is the Dirac? I kinda like the idea of a Dirac delta. Its the larger Dirac.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a LUDT on order. Can’t wait to get it. Those Heretic’s look nice. Might have just cost me another $300 lol
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 10:47:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I like the troodon (not the combat) for edc.  it is a great size and i like the overall shape and looks better imo.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:05:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I would love to own one but can't justify spending that much on a knife. maybe someday I will.
Link Posted: 6/13/2020 12:08:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Halo V master race checking in. Microtech knives are like fine watches, you can feel the fit and finish. Get two.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I own the Ultratech (full-size) and Combat Troodon. Like both and edc both. Microtech makes a fine blade. Great knives.
Link Posted: 6/17/2020 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#19]
TAD Green Microtech HALO III 10-2006

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:19:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I've been wanting a Microtech also, mainly the LUDT.  They sell out very fast when they come in stock.

Has anyone used Microtech's law enforcement/military discount?

Link Posted: 6/21/2020 5:26:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I've been wanting a Microtech also, mainly the LUDT.  They sell out very fast when they come in stock.

Has anyone used Microtech's law enforcement/military discount?

How much of a discount do they give?
View Quote
pm me and we can talk about it. Shouldnt put prices of mil/le program in here
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Have an 85 and it is my edc. Like the size and pretty much everything about it. Would buy again. Side opener autos don’t work for me ( left handed) the sole exception I can find being a pro tech that I bought  at the knife shop in Vegas. Did or does microtech ever run side openers like the udt in a left hand version?
Link Posted: 7/21/2020 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#23]
My Ultratech S/E drop point will be here tomorrow

Edit:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2020 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 12:22:57 AM EDT
[#25]
The 85 is a fantastic knife. Comfortable, pretty slim and small, and actually has a decent sized blade to handle ratio.  Comes in a million trim options to so you can pretty much find one to suit your aesthetic preference.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 4:19:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Pic thread, love my UT bayonet apocalyptic finish
Troodon S/E OD drop point coming this week,
Attachment Attached File
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top