Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2018 1:20:42 PM EDT
So I have 2 sets of armor...

An interceptor with ceramic multi curve primary plates (level IV when paired with the Kevlar liner) plus stand-alone level III steel side plates in add-on molle side plate carriers. The soft armor liner inserts on the interceptor vest is (I’m pretty sure) level IIa Kevlar stand-alone. I ditched the Kevlar crotch and arm protectors but kept the Kevlar neck protector. It’s older and heavy and used. It was worn a couple dozen times in the desert running around, training, etc... but it’s in good shape all around. I’ve got confidence and no worries about it being as it’s ceramic, steel, and Kevlar.

I also have an older level IIIa second chance vest I got as surplus (new in the wrap) about 12 years ago (2006/2007?)... and when I bought it, I’m sure it was older surplus even back then so original mfg might be in the 90’s. It’s in fantastic shape as I think I’ve only worn it maybe a half dozen times over the years and no hot/hard activity in it. Looks new. Problem is that I KNOW it’s Zylon/PBO; not Kevlar/aramid fiber. That stuff degrades with light, moisture, or heat... faster in the presence of all three. Luckily it sat in a bag for 99% if it’s life unused, but I’m still concerned. Even a long time in a dry dark room will create measurable strength decreases.

Is it even worth keeping, as a SHTF loaner vest... I would think even a shitty vest is better than no vest? Maybe salvage the panels and double them up into a backpack liner or something? Or should I just take it to the range and blast it... I’ve got an X-Small ceramic plate from a friend for free I’ve been meaning to shoot up at the range too. Seriously, this thing looks like it’s sized for a 8yr old Somalian operator. It’s not even big enough to cover my little dog

I really should replace the zylon Second Chance with a pair of IIIa Kevlars for my wife and incoming child. But I’d hate to get rid of it if it’s still somewhat serviceable.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 2:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a range report or look up Old Painless and he might do all the legwork for you.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:29:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I was going to say it'd be fine, then I saw the bit about Zylon.

Nope. Ditch it, shoot it, whatever. But I wouldn't want to wear it to protect myself. Zylon had serious issues with degradation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:38:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Possibly defective body armor beats no body armor when 2 way shooting commences.
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Possibly defective body armor beats no body armor when 2 way shooting commences.
View Quote

How do I know you drive on bald tires?
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nope, not at all. Name me one time body armor did shit for a civilian in a gunfight in the US. I'll wait.......
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/14/2018 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I have 2 sets of armor...

An interceptor with ceramic multi curve primary plates (level IV when paired with the Kevlar liner) plus stand-alone level III steel side plates in add-on molle side plate carriers. The soft armor liner inserts on the interceptor vest is (I'm pretty sure) level IIa Kevlar stand-alone. I ditched the Kevlar crotch and arm protectors but kept the Kevlar neck protector. It's older and heavy and used. It was worn a couple dozen times in the desert running around, training, etc... but it's in good shape all around. I've got confidence and no worries about it being as it's ceramic, steel, and Kevlar.
View Quote
Just now noticed this bit and wanted to clarify it. The Interceptor soft armor inserts, like all U.S. Military produced body armor, is NOT rated according to NIJ levels. My understanding is the Mil. test methods for soft armor basically mirror the NIJ's test standards except they also have a standard for fragmentation, but the armor is NOT rated according to NIJ levels nor is it tested as such.

What the Interceptor inserts are rated for is 124gr 9mm FMJ at 1400 fps, essentially a 9mm submachine gun threat, and fragmentation. Probably has a V50 of 2200+ fps for a 17gr FSP.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 2:02:09 AM EDT
[#9]
But it stops level II threats. Level IIA is only pretty much .22 lr resistant anyway, lol. If it wasnt going to stop IIA threats, 1400 fps 9mm would punch right through.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:25:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd be interested in the Zylon vest if you were willing to sell it. It would go in my reference collection, not used.
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 3:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But it stops level II threats. Level IIA is only pretty much .22 lr resistant anyway, lol. If it wasnt going to stop IIA threats, 1400 fps 9mm would punch right through.
View Quote
The Interceptor will handle even IIIA threats just fine, it's basically built like a generic IIIA vest. My point was simply that the vest is not tested according to NIJ standards and therefore saying it holds any NIJ rating is wholly inaccurate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 2:57:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Place it aside in a safe direction and point at it when clearing your gun or dry firing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Place it aside in a safe direction and point at it when clearing your gun or dry firing.
View Quote
Not sure if serious. (?)  Do you not thoroughly safety check your gun to make sure it's empty before dry firing? The ONLY prerequisite to dry firing is making sure the gun is actually... dry. (negating the need for the vest).
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#14]
If it was Kevlar, I would say use it, no worries. I have tested Kevlar vests that were 15 years old and well worn, stinky and stained by years of use on street cops. It still worked.

I also tested a Zylon vest that was about 5 or 6 years old, looked good, no problems with the nylon over wrap, no stains, never left out in the sun for long periods and I knew the guy who bought and wore it. The rounds it was rated for made it all the way through on the first shot.

There was a reason it was pulled off the market and buyers were given partial or full refund from the class action lawsuits. I would not trust Zylon to stop even a 25acp... Wrap it around a water melon or something and shoot it for fun.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 11:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Zylon degraded even if it was stored in optimal conditions, so regardless if it was worn or not or what conditions it was worn in is a moot point. I was issued one in 2002, at the time it was touted as the wonder aramid that would be the kevlar killer.  It got replaced with a kevlar vest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top