Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2019 8:49:28 PM EDT
Standard FN factory picatinny 'iron sight' shooting the SS197SR 'Sporting Round'

The Long Range went from 100yds to ~450yds.

I was 35th out of 52 Overall, all Divisions, on this stage.  I shot in the Tac-Irons division today, making hits out to the 2nd to last target out there.

Here is how the 'Skinny', set at 100 yards, (lol, see stage screenshot below) looked to the naked eye:

.|.

Yeah, it was small lol.

I still want a USSS optical sight

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool. I'm definitely a fan of the PS90, especially in SBR format!
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
How hard is it to hear impact on steel with the 5.7 at extended range?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:24:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How hard is it to hear impact on steel with the 5.7 at extended range?
View Quote
A bit of a challenge.  It was even a challenge for the shot timer right next to me to catch muzzle noise lol.

These orange sights "flash" when hit.  I don't know if they rotate or whatnot but when hit they move in a certain way where, what appears to be a reflective strip, catches the sunlight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:20:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Theyre a good bit more precise, and easy to shoot well, than most give them credit for. Obviously it’s not what they’re for, but mine actually shoots some tight little groups. You’re going to want an optic though. I finally got around to upgrading my old white ring to the newer aluminum bodied LED/fiber optic white ring/green dot optic. It’s like falling in love all over again.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 10:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Theyre a good bit more precise, and easy to shoot well, than most give them credit for. Obviously it’s not what they’re for, but mine actually shoots some tight little groups. You’re going to want an optic though. I finally got around to upgrading my old white ring to the newer aluminum bodied LED/fiber optic white ring/green dot optic. It’s like falling in love all over again.
View Quote
After the Shoot house stage the RO mentioned many of the targets had ‘one-paster’ double taps.

So as long as you don’t flinch the muzzle flip is just about zero
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
acquainted

Very handy rifle !
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
acquainted
Very handy rifle !
View Quote
I really liked using it

acquitted: conduct oneself or perform in a specified way.
"all the young women in the contest acquitted themselves well"

Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:01:01 PM EDT
[#9]
You are right.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really liked using it

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
acquainted
Very handy rifle !
I really liked using it

"Bill Cosby, however, was not ultimately acquitted"
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:36:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I disagree; the whole point of the gun & its ergonomics was to be easy to shoot as possible 'without hardly training trying,' and that holds true at the <100yd (maybe 150yd) intended range for ambush-ees as it does out to over 200yd where the round starts to really suffer from dropping velocity & wind drift.  Compared to other subguns, that flat trajectory alone makes shooting well about 1/3 easier, and then of course there's the weight, low recoil, and small overall package.

I kinda want to try irons at some point; there's a company that makes little Picatinny-mounts that accept Glock front & rear sights, for a truly minimal BUIS package.  If you are using a hollow-out red dot riser of some sort, silencer-height pistol sights seem like they'd be about ideal.  You wouldn't have to turn your face completely sideways against the stock to use them, either
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I disagree; the whole point of the gun & its ergonomics was to be easy to shoot as possible 'without hardly training trying,' and that holds true at the <100yd (maybe 150yd) intended range for ambush-ees as it does out to over 200yd where the round starts to really suffer from dropping velocity & wind drift.  Compared to other subguns, that flat trajectory alone makes shooting well about 1/3 easier, and then of course there's the weight, low recoil, and small overall package.

I kinda want to try irons at some point; there's a company that makes little Picatinny-mounts that accept Glock front & rear sights, for a truly minimal BUIS package.  If you are using a hollow-out red dot riser of some sort, silencer-height pistol sights seem like they'd be about ideal.  You wouldn't have to turn your face completely sideways against the stock to use them, either
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was meaning more that it’s a far cry from a bench rest gun, with the 1X optic (at least on mine), nontraditional handguard (hard to rest, harder to bipod), spring loaded barrel, spongy trigger, etc. That’s not a knock on the rifle, I love mine. I think it’s neat that a PDW is actually capable of quite a bit of precision. I’d be interested in seeing it shoot from a solid rest, tailored ammo, and a magnified optic. I’d bet it would do pretty well, and FN’s ‘non-precision’ rifles in general tend to be capable of more precision than most would expect.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was meaning more that it’s a far cry from a bench rest gun, with the 1X optic (at least on mine), nontraditional handguard (hard to rest, harder to bipod), spring loaded barrel, spongy trigger, etc. That’s not a knock on the rifle, I love mine. I think it’s neat that a PDW is actually capable of quite a bit of precision. I’d be interested in seeing it shoot from a solid rest, tailored ammo, and a magnified optic. I’d bet it would do pretty well, and FN’s ‘non-precision’ rifles in general tend to be capable of more precision than most would expect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the round itself has decent intrinsic accuracy; I know a few have had Contender barrels made for it that they liked (though I think the real goal was hot-rodding the cartridge for those guys).  Supposedly that CMMG is impressing with its accuracy (I suspect that's from the short, stiff barrel as much as anything)
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

"Bill Cosby, however, was not ultimately acquitted"
View Quote
Too true and 35 out of 52 is more acquainted than acquitted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top