Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2019 11:25:24 PM EDT
Currently have a Surefire SOCOM 762Mini2 in NFA jail (along with a tranquilo and SBR). I was planning on using it on a 9 inch 300 blk build.  Just assumed it would be GTG but now reading how terrible it is. So I have two questions:

1. Should I look for a SF 300 sbs to use on this build instead?  This gun will only shoot subs so looking for the quietest solution possible.

2. Anyone happy with their mini2? What is it good at?
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, they're kinda loud and heavy for their size, but hell for stout.  Pretty much how all the Surefire cans are in my experience.

The mini2 is short and optimized for supersonic rounds, so it's probably not gonna be all that pleasing with .300 blk subs.  If you decide to amend your F4 and exchange it for something else, I'd probably look at other makes.  There's no reason to deal with a 20 ounce pig like the 300 SPS for mild mannered .300 subs.  Think TBAC Ultra.  Quieter, half the weight, almost certainly less POI shift.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 6:49:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both the 762 mini, and the 300 Socom.

I like my mini.  It's as the name says, a mini - it's not a quiet as a full size 30 cal can, but it's only 6 inches long.  It's short and handy, and is good on a SBR as it doesn't add as much length to what is supposed to be a short package.

Personally, I find it suppresses fine - supers have little muzzle blast, subs are quite and you hear the bullet hit the berm.  I've read other's don't like the sound out of it but I've not found that myself.

SF's have low back pressure, so you're not choked with gas, and there's not as much difference between can on / can off.  So you can more easily function in all 4 cases of 300 BO - supers /subs, can on/off.  Often if you're set up for super or subs, and can on or off, then people have issues with another configurations, and have to fiddle with various spring forces, buffer weights, bolts, etc.

On my AR, I just have a Noveske 10.2 inch barrel, a standard weight bolt, standard spring, and a H2 buffer.  It works fine with both supers and subs without the SF, and with it as well.  Cans that have more backpressure can have too much cycling force with it on, leading to needing heavier bolts/springs/buffers, then it won't cycle with the can off.

Now the mini is under-equipped for 308 Win.  I've used it on my Rem 700 - it's better than no can - cuts the blast, and sound, but there's still quite a bit of boom.

My 300 Soccom, at 8 inches long, and 20 oz or so it a big one, but it turns a 308 bolt action into a .22 mag for recoil, blast, and sound.

Surprisingly to me, it doesn't do that much more to my 300 BO than my mini does.  Now I've not used both of them during the same range trip, so I'm going by memory.  But the mini is fine with 300 BO, and while I was expecting the 300 Socom to be quieter, but didn't feel that it was.  Just guessing here, but does the 300 BO have such little gas left that it suppresses just fine with 6 inch cans, and an 8 incher doesn't do that much more?

So, I think you'll like the 762 mini.  It's short and handy and makes the rifles quieter and more fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, you did.
If your dealer is cool, try to sell the can and cancel the stamp
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:05:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, you did.
If your dealer is cool, try to sell the can and cancel the stamp
View Quote
This.

I almost bought one of these cans, but read enough negative reviews and didn't.  It's a bombproof can, but it's optimized for supers and it's a bit dated in design.

The only reason to buy a Surefire is if you're doing a clone build and even then I'd rather go KAC.

If you're wanting maximum quite with subs take a look at the Q Full Nelson, Thunder Chicken, Dead Air Nomad or one of the Sig Titanium 7.62 cans.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:13:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I honestly wouldn't sweat it too much.  Cancel if you can, as others have said there a lighter and quieter cans out there, but if you end up with it, it'll still be a good can.  After owning a few cans now, i'd prefer a can that's shorter/lighter and a tad louder(i.e. enough to take the edge off) than something that's heavy and long with the best DB rating.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:09:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd probably keep the mini for other uses.  300BO subs can be effectively suppressed with a light pistol can or an inexpensive Form 1 build. That cartridge suppresses well with volume through length if you want it as quiet as possible. But sooner or later you'll want to suppress supers.  A YHM Resonator is probably the best value, costing about what a centerfire Form 1 build would without the fabrication hassle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got both the 300 sps and 762 mini like another poster.

My 300 sps and 762 mini both weight exactly 18 ounces on my scale, with the 300 SPS coming in slightly under 8"

The mini does a good enough job on full pressure loads, whether it be 5.56, 300 blk etc.. my mini lives on a 5.56 SBR and it does fine, takes the bite off and provides good signature reduction. Only thing is it's kinda heavy at 18 ounces.

I'd say if you got the 762 mini for really good deal than it's a decent can, it's just over priced and outdated with what's on the market nowadays IMO.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I appreciate all the feedback.   I could redeploy the mini on a couple of other rifles so it will get used.  This particular SBR will be subs only.  I have a Larue Surge in 300blk that will run supers through a tranquilo.  The tranquilo is the first non Surefire can I will own.  I’ve got 3 other sf cans so no other experience with other manufacturers.

Does anyone have experience with a AAC7.62-SDN-6 on a shorty SBR with subs?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I’d be looking hard at the Q cans for dedicated 300blk subs.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Should have bought a Nomad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
I have an SDN-6.  Good can, older technology, very tough, kinda heavy.   A good can to beat the snot out of, but not the best performer in SPL reduction or accuracy/repeatability.  It's also not optimized for subs, pretty mediocre on my 10" .300 blk.  Basically, it's like the Surefires, but half the price.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 10:56:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have an SDN-6.  Good can, older technology, very tough, kinda heavy.   A good can to beat the snot out of, but not the best performer in SPL reduction or accuracy/repeatability.  It's also not optimized for subs, pretty mediocre on my 10" .300 blk.  Basically, it's like the Surefires, but half the price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My first silencer was a SDN6, very good can for its day. It now lives on my AAC 9" 300blk and is silly quiet with subs. I've also used it a fair bit on a 11.5" 556 upper with great success minus its weight. There are much better locking systems available today (i.e. Dead Air) but the 51T still is decent if you don't abuse it and/or expect match accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Currently have a Surefire SOCOM 762Mini2 in NFA jail (along with a tranquilo and SBR). I was planning on using it on a 9 inch 300 blk build.  Just assumed it would be GTG but now reading how terrible it is. So I have two questions:

1. Should I look for a SF 300 sbs to use on this build instead?  This gun will only shoot subs so looking for the quietest solution possible.

2. Anyone happy with their mini2? What is it good at?
View Quote
I love Surefire. However, their SOCOM cans suck on 300BLK.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:31:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote
This applies to me!
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:06:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This applies to me!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This applies to me!
Then no mistake was made. Just a reset of the clock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Swap it for a Q Trash Panda.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#20]
If you're going for absoulte quietness with 300 blk, I'd look into the Vox or the full nelson. If going by the numbers from silencer shop on the Nelson, and capital armory on the vox, the Nelson is a bit quieter. But I think I would pick the vox because of it's ability to change mounts and the wiped front end cap to reduce FRP.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I bet the Tranquillo works well with .300, but that is only a guess.

I have a Gemtech HVT that works great with .300 subs and supers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Appreciate all the suggestions. I am researching all of them now. Do you guys have any reservations on cans that use stainless steel vs. inconel? The bombproof aspect of surefire is one of the reasons why I really like them. I'm no operator and probably would never reach the amount of wear and tear to make a big difference on any can. I just tend to buy more extreme, milspec stuff.

Any intel on the Silencer Co Chimera 300? I enjoyed their youtube video demonstrating toughness of the can.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top