Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2018 1:12:00 PM EDT
Since just before Christmas I've been replenishing my stocks of ammo for next year.  I really enjoy the relaxing time producing my ammo but I think I'm finally done.  I might have a few hundred 30-30 and 100 or so 45 Super that might get done later, however, I've got some other projects that are taking priority as I've got enough of each caliber to last me this next year.  All told, I've handloaded 7,310rds in 5 different calibers in the last 5 weeks or so, 4,610 rifle and 2,700 pistol calibers as follows:
  • 110grn RN 30 Carbine:  2,460 rds
  • 62grn Hornady fmj 5.56:  2,100 rds
  • 62grn Hornady HPBT 5.56: 50 rds
  • 200grn X-Treme 45acp:  1,500 rds
  • 255grn X-Treme 45 Colt:  700 rds
  • 158grn Rainier 357mag:  500 rds
When we say, "that's some heavy lifting." sometimes we mean it literally!  Just for grins, I decided to calculate the combined weights of the components I handled as well as the combined weigh of the finished ammo.  The results are listed below:
  • Total weight of the bullets used is 961,400 grns or 137.34 lbs.
  • Total weight of the brass used is 642,415 grns or 91.77 lbs.  
  • Total weight of the powder used is 108,231 grns or 15.46 lbs.  
  • Total weight of the primers used is 26,543 grns or 3.79 lbs.  
  • The total weight of the ammo produced is 1,738,589 grns or 248.37 lbs!!  
As to the money I saved, let's just say it was a ton and be done!  

While the time I spent I consider part of my hobby, it really wasn't all that much as the 357mag took about 1 hr, the 45 Colt, just under 2 hrs, the 45acp right at 3 hrs, the 5.56 (including case prep) a hair over 7 hrs, and the 30 Carbine right at 5 hrs total.  So, all told I spent about 18 hrs over the 5+ weeks leisurely enjoying my hobby and saving a ton of cash. During that time, with case prep on the 5.56 brass, I've processed a total of 9,460 pieces of brass (the 5.56 twice through my press for case prep, then handloading) in the last 5 weeks, proving to me that my casefeeder and trimmer on my Dillon 650 were worth every single nickel they cost me those many years ago when I upgraded from my 550B.

ETA: BTW: If you're interested in my weight calculations, here are the average weights of the brass and primers I used.
  • 30 Carbine - Winchester Brass Case:  75.0 grns
  • 5.56 NATO - LC Brass Case:  96.1 grns
  • 45acp - Winchester Brass Case:   91.0 grns
  • 45 Colt - Starline Brass Case:  111.5 grns
  • 357mag - Starline Brass Case:  73.5 grns
  • Winchester SR primers: 3.3 grns
  • CCI 300 LP primers: 4.4 grns
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Just like dad always said, <snip> this is a technical forum, not GD. dryflash3

That sounds like a nice setup, I've been putting off all my hobbies all winter. No wonder I'm grumpy
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 6:13:15 PM EDT
[#2]
COSteve, you are a madman!

I'm still working on reprocessing a few hundred pieces of rifle brass, disassembling, annealing cases and re-reloading them.  That's a few hundred, not a few thousand.
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
COSteve, you are a madman!

I'm still working on reprocessing a few hundred pieces of rifle brass, disassembling, annealing cases and re-reloading them.  That's a few hundred, not a few thousand.
View Quote
Not a madman, a retired man!  

Seriously, I really enjoy handloading as a very relaxing hobby.  When I was still working I'd come home from a frustrating or hard day and instead of throwing back a cocktail or two, I'd go down into my handloading area and load up a couple hundred rds of something just to break the frustration with the day and chill out.  It was a great 15-20 minutes of decompressing that allowed me to enjoy the rest of my evening with my wife.

That's why if my handloading setup might be a bit on the higher end with more bells and whistles than a normal setup (actually compared to many here I'm a piker), it's because I've collected all the the equipment to make it easy to handload and allow me to get into a comfortable rhythm while doing it which is when I'm most happy and relaxed.  What can I say, I really enjoy it.  The feeling of making something with my hands that I can count on.  Something I've decided how it will perform in my arms rather than some corporation telling me what I want and how much I'll pay for it.

Also, saving the money I do, usually at least 20 cents per rd over common caliber factory ammo and much more for my more exotic handloads, just feels great. Every time I'm done with a batch, be it a few or a lot, I take a minute and appreciate the accomplishment, both in work and in savings. As I said here, I saved a ton of money since just before Christmas, I've saved over $1,500 in the cost of the ammo I produced over the cost of commercially produced ammo. And, I got the satisfaction of both producing it myself and the knowledge that it's all tuned to my particular arms, not just generic ammo.

Truth be told, if I had felt I need another 15,000 - 20,000 rds calibers I thought I needed to handload, I'd still be working at it but I don't. I've got sufficient quantities to supply me and my family for the coming shooting season. No, I didn't use all my available brass, I have a bunch left in most of the calibers I worked on. I just handloaded enough to keep me going for this year . . . maybe. (With a son who loves to shoot, I never know how much he's want.)
Link Posted: 1/24/2018 10:21:08 PM EDT
[#4]
It's definitely been a productive winter for you. You must have a bunker to store it all in.

One thing I noticed in your list was the absents of 9mm. Everyone should have an ample stock of 9mm to see them through the warm weather months.

My son consumes a disproportional amount of the ammo stock as well. That's the way they get proficient. Good ammo provides the foundation to good marksmanship.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#5]
<deleted> keep posts on topic, save the GD posts for GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:37:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
One thing I noticed in your list was the absents of 9mm. Everyone should have an ample stock of 9mm to see them through the warm weather months.
View Quote
No, everyone doesn't need 9mm ammo.  You see, with plenty of 357mag, 40s&w, 45acp, 45 Super, 45 Colt, and 10mm on hand (with variations for different purposes in each), I have ammo for every handgun caliber I want and use.  In truth, I don't see the need for a 9mm because the 40s&w makes a bigger hole and weighs 25% more at the same velocities.

As I handload all my ammo,  already have the 10mm toolhead with dies and such, have plenty of components, and it costs about the same as the 9mm to handload, why bother with 9mm? You see the only 9mm pistols I have are a pristine Nazi marked, s/n correct P-8 Luger and pristine Nazi marked, s/n correct P-38 as part of our Axis and Allies firearms collection and they are too valuable to be shooters.

Also, I mentioned I might load up a few 30-30 and 45 Super later.  The reason I didn't mention any 40s&w, 55grn & 68grn 5.56, 300 Savage, .308/7.62x51, or 30-06/M2 ball was because I have a ton of it from a handloading binge I went on last year.  So I've got plenty on hand.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]
@COSteve

I agree the 40S&W is a preferred round for self defense. A G23 is our go to pistol.

The 9mm comment was meant tongue in cheek. Thought you might have missed it with all the other rounds you covered.

Sounds like you have a couple nice 9mm collectables there. Our BHP and CZ75 9mm's are shooters. Had them years before the 40S&W was released in 1990.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Great job. I wish I had your motivation.  I usually try to load 20-30 rounds everytime I go to the basement.

That is a lot of work but you have a lot of ammo ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 8:09:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
@COSteve

I agree the 40S&W is a preferred round for self defense. A G23 is our go to pistol.

The 9mm comment was meant tongue in cheek. Thought you might have missed it with all the other rounds you covered.

Sounds like you have a couple nice 9mm collectables there. Our BHP and CZ75 9mm's are shooters. Had them years before the 40S&W was released in 1990.
View Quote
Good choice.  My personal CCW pistol is a G23 as well.  I like the 180 grain loads best so I got some Speer Gold Dot bullets and Speer brass and loaded up my own SD ammo. Inside the home I let my wife have the G23 and I grab my Springfield 1911 RO with a few 230grn friends.  However, for woods walking in the Rockies I'm partial to my custom G20L I developed back in 2004, remove the mag well and load it up with 17+1 rds of 180grn HP or 200grn hardcast 10mm 'nuclear' level loads.  Protection from 2 or 4 legged threats.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 10:36:58 PM EDT
[#11]
That's awesome. I've been putting off all my winter reloading and seeing this makes me feel like a slacker

tommorrow I may get in there are load some 9 and 45.
Link Posted: 1/25/2018 11:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
That's awesome. I've been putting off all my winter reloading and seeing this makes me feel like a slacker

tommorrow I may get in there are load some 9 and 45.
View Quote
YES, ditto, COSteve!  Awesome indeed!.....and slacker, is the right word for me too....just realized it!  I'm finally healed from a rotator cuff injury & the reattachment surgery.......and I'm so out of the loop, that I didn't realize that yes!  I can reload without pain, finally!  Unfortunately, my converted garage will have to be cleaned up this weekend so I can reach everything! (that's been on hold for too long too).  Then I will get busy and start the resupply that's been on hold for more than year.  Gee, I'm feeling a bit giddy!  Thanks for posting this thread!  Just what the doctor ordered!

BTW, for others co-inspired by COSteve, I just got an email from Grafs!  It's Half Haz time!  Natchez even better. None w/$100 purchase.  I love Shot Show time.  See Steve you aren't done.....now you got to restock.........components!
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been slacking off this winter on the reloading front! To my horror I've just discovered that I'm getting down to the dregs of my last 50 cal ammo can of .45 ACP! Time to set up the old 550b to start spitting out some 230 gr. goodness! I've got components enough for 5000 rounds easily, I just need to get started!

Thanks for the inspiration, Mr. COsteve!
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh gosh, only 1 50cal ammo can of 45acp!  How will you manage?

Seriously, I use to store my 45acp and 45 Colt in 50cal cans, however, one day I realized that full, they are one heavy SOB!!! So, I decided that 2 30cal cans made more sense than one 50cal.  Easier to carry 1 can in each hand too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2018 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#15]
BTW,  I forgot to update my totals.

You see, about a week after I 'finished' my batches, my son casually mentions that he's getting low on 45acp and would I make up some more for him!!!!  Being the chump that most dads are, I agreed and figured while I was at it I'd finish up the 91 pieces of 30-30 plinking brass I'd tumbled but not prep'd.  Anyway, before the end of January I had some time so I pumped out another 1K 45acp and my 30-30.  So, updating my totals in my opening post, it looks like this.  All told, I've now handloaded 8,400rds in 6 different calibers between mid December to end of January, about 6 weeks. Of those, 4,700 were rifle calibers and 3,700 were straight wall pistol calibers as follows:

* 110grn RN 30 Carbine: 2,460 rds
* 62grn Hornady fmj 5.56: 2,100 rds
* 62grn Hornady HPBT 5.56: 50 rds
* 200grn X-Treme 45acp: 2,500 rds
* 255grn X-Treme 45 Colt: 700 rds
* 158grn Rainier 357mag: 500 rds
* 150grn X-Treme 30-30: 91 rds

I updated the combined weights of the components I handled as well as the combined weigh of the finished ammo. The results are listed below:

* Total weight of the bullets used is 1,175,050 grns or 167.86 lbs.
* Total weight of the brass used is 746,064 grns or 106.58 lbs.
* Total weight of the powder used is 116,225 grns or 16.60 lbs.
* Total weight of the primers used is 31,343 grns or 4.48 lbs.
* The total weight of the ammo produced is 2,068,682 grns or 295.53 lbs!!

As to the money I saved over buying commercial ammo, it was well over $2,000.  Again, while the time I spent I consider part of my hobby, it really wasn't all that much as the 357mag took about 1 hr, the 45 Colt, just under 2 hrs, the 45acp right at 4.5 hrs, the 5.56 (including case prep) a hair over 7 hrs, and the 30 Carbine right at 6.5 hrs total. So, all told I spent about 21 hrs over the 6 weeks leisurely enjoying my hobby and saving a ton of cash.

During that time, with case prep on the 5.56, 30 Carbine, and 30-30 brass, I've processed a total of 13,100 pieces of brass (the 5.56, 30 Carbine, and 30-30 twice through my press for case prep, then handloading) again proving that my decision to sell my 550B and get an XL650 with casefeeder some 10 years ago has paid off over and over again.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:32:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Oh gosh, only 1 50cal ammo can of 45acp!  How will you manage?

Seriously, I use to store my 45acp and 45 Colt in 50cal cans, however, one day I realized that full, they are one heavy SOB!!! So, I decided that 2 30cal cans made more sense than one 50cal.  Easier to carry 1 can in each hand too.
View Quote
Ha! I said my last, I managed to drain 4 50 call ammo cans of .45 acp over the last couple of years . I'm half gorilla so the weight doesn't bother me much!

I've gotta make time to pump out some more!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top