Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/24/2017 6:25:32 PM EDT
Sell it? Throw it away? I've read Talon is shit. I have a M82A1CQ. Was thinking about letting people shoot it just for fun. Will it blow up my gun? I'm assuming it's incendiary rounds based on the blueish tip.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:49:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, incendiary more than likely, so do be careful with it--
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:06:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot quite a bit of that re manufactured BMG when it was cheap (65 cents a round) Never had any problems although I heard that some had the projectiles burst in mid air. Never heard of anyone getting hurt, if you have a 50 shoot it.  They made that from pull down demilled military ammo until the EPA shut them down.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Shot a bunch of the early made Talon reman stuff. Some of it was underloaded and would barely unlock the bolt when fired. Some would unlock the bolt and open the carrier about an inch or so.

Try it and see. We tried firing it when I was at Barrett. We gave up on it and returned it.

The later stuff would function fine. But we had all the new manufacture Olin/ Winchester we could use.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:12:38 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the Headstamp. I had some mixed that had FA 54 and it was way undersized.  It was sold through Sportsmans guide and was one of the last lots out of talon. Several people had case separations on the FA 54.  Mine was also mixed with SL4 which has been ok.  I pulled my FA 54 down and reloaded the components and put the brass in the recycling. If you have any new brass of known quality stand the 2 together.  I could see the size difference.  My lot number was TLN07BD002 manufacture 2/07.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:54:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the Headstamp. I had some mixed that had FA 54 and it was way undersized.  It was sold through Sportsmans guide and was one of the last lots out of talon. Several people had case separations on the FA 54.  Mine was also mixed with SL4 which has been ok.  I pulled my FA 54 down and reloaded the components and put the brass in the recycling. If you have any new brass of known quality stand the 2 together.  I could see the size difference.  I'll see if my cans still have lot numbers on them later tonight.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Seems to be a mixed bag. I didn't dig too deep though. This stuff is dirty. My fingers are black just from touching a few rounds.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Just keep an eye for the FA54 stuff.  Here is the brass I pulled down and you can see how excessive the headspace would be.  I had SL4 which is SL44 and it was ok to shoot.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:36:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I've shot a bunch of it.   Never saw an air burst on the blue tip, but heard about them.  They shot OK, but I think Talon scrimped on the powder.  Save a few grains out of each one, and after awhile you accumulate a "free" load.   Only problem I had with them is that they sometimes (often) don't drive the M82A1 bolt back quite far enough to pick up a new round.   I even sent the rifle back to Barrett to make sure the bumpers were tuned properly, but it still did the FTF.  So when it goes CLICK, I then had to wait awhile to make sure it was not a hangfire instead of FTF, then rack the slide.   Best technique was to pull the slide back a bit after each shot, to see if a new one had fed in.  Not exactly a "high rate of fire".
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot lots of Talon reloads using LC-91 cases for Incendiary Blue Tip.
Shot most (about 225 rounds) at a FCSA Fun Shoot near Marksville LA.
All went off after hitting a solid object, like a car wheel.

SL4 sucks for accuracy and the brass is not worth loading.
Still have about 4 cans of it in stock along with Singapore ammo which is pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
I have posted several times that talon is the only ammo that locked up my 82. Mine was all ball and tracer with the failures all being ball. Unfortunately I never kept track of headstamps.

My failure sucked. Brass would stick in the chamber upon firing. Extractor would rip the rim off the case then grab a new round and ram it into the stuck case which would jack up the bullet in the neck and ruin the round.

99 ate em up just fine.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top