Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2022 7:46:50 PM EDT
Having quite a vermin problem in my back yard. Lots of chipmunks, squirels, groundhogs and crows destroying the landscape. I have a cheap Gamo .22 that will kill...if you can hit anything and a Sheridan Silver Streak 5mm that also lacks the accuracy at these ranges. The air rifle needs to be .22 or .25 cal and hit hard enough to kill at 45-50 yds. I probably wont shoot it alot, 200-300 rounds a year, mostly just need to take care of problems and maybe a little target practice. Budget is around $500 plus optics. Also, if I go PCP, is a hand pump a real pita? I know the compressors are pricey. TIA
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 8:21:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArimoDave] [#1]
If you are only shooting 500 rounds a year, a hand pump is not going to be a problem with a PCP.  It does become a problem when you are shooting more than 50 rounds a day, and doing that just about every day.  Most of the PCPs in your price range will shoot at least 25 shots per fill, even in .25 caliber.

I do, however, recommend that you up your price range a bit, for the guns in your bracket will leave a bit to be desired in their shootability.  Edit:  I just re-read that that your price is for the gun (possibly the pump) and does not include scope.  PCP guns in that $500 bracket should do nicely.

The PCP baseline has been, and still is, the Benjamin Marauder.  The packaged Centerpoint scopes vary in quality to the point that I'd recommend not going with the seemingly less expensive package option, and go with a separate scope.  For your intended use, the package deal with the Benjamin pump would be quite adequate.  For users who want to shoot more and fill their guns more often by hand, I recommend the Hill (now distributed by Air Ventrui) four stage pump.  

Instead of a compressor, I think many folks who want to shoot more often than a hand pump seems convenient, investing in a SCUBA tank and having a local dive shop fill may be a better option.  Some dive shops will give lifetime fills if you buy the tank from that shop.   SCBA bottles will generally give more gun fills per tank fill, but are more than twice the initial investment for a similar volume of air.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!! Thanks so much for the information. I used to be able to grab my .22 or .17 but houses are being built too close for that option. Do you think the .25 is the better caliber for my uses? Also, just like to check, if the budget is stretched a few hundred or so, do you have other advice? I am a true believer in buy once cry once within reason. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#3]
The .25 is likely to be a bit more forgiving on shot placement, but with the slight danger of more distance that the pellet could travel, and slightly more likelyhood that it would go through with more retained velocity.  However, if you pay attention to the target and what is beyond while ensuring that there is adequate backstop, this should not be a problem.  

The .25 pellets are a bit more expensive per shot than the .22s.  But, due to history of the English vs. the German standards, the .22s have more variable bore and pellet sizes than the .25.  More trial and error would be expected with the .22 to find the pellets the particular barrel likes than with the .25.  Fortunately, this is becoming less of an issue than years past.  

The current generation of PCPs, and other better quality airguns are getting to the point where you have to step-up significantly in price to gain a slight bit of performance and precision.  The new guns in the class you are looking at are far superior to guns just 15 years ago.   My $1000 FX Dreamline is not all that much better than my Benjamin Armada in terms of field accuracy.  The Armada, however, is not potentially competitive in Extreme Benchrest Matches, while the Dreamline is potentially just capable.  The primary limiting factor, though, is my ability to read wind and remain consistent at the bench.
Link Posted: 7/11/2022 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#4]
On the note of additional advice here are some of my thoughts on what you should get based on my rather steep learning curve.

The Hill pump is a much better built thing than the Benjamin, and will not require rebuilding anytime soon.

A good scope with side parallax adjustment is a better initial investment than things like compressors, tanks, and other niceties. It doesn't matter whether it is FFP, or SFP, or Mils, or MOA.  These details are just what you prefer.  My own preference has become FFP in Mils, but that has taken many scopes and time to finalize.

A higher scope height will give you an extended "don't worry about hold over/under" range.  That is, instead of 25 to 35 yards where the trajectory is nearly flat to the line of sight with a normal scope height, you can get something like 32 to 45 yards with a higher mount.  That said, a higher scope height does present a problem if you tend to cant the rifle.  Here, a scope level helps greatly.

Now a word on trajectory calculators.  The various on-line ones for airguns are pretty good for getting you close enough for most things.  Just make sure you do have a pretty accurate estimation of sight height above the bore.  No calculator, however, beats actual shooting on paper and your own D.O.P.E. (Data on Previous Engagements) notebook.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#5]
My Umarex Origen shoots slugs pretty well out to 50 yards in .22 caliber. So there’s some options available that were hard to find just a few years ago. I agree with the four stage pump it will heat up less than the package pump that came with my Origin. I think optics are way more important than a powered pump. To tell you the truth my BSA surprised me with it’s accuracy to cost range. It’s .177 and with a heavy pellet it’s getting to forty yards just fine. Wind will play with it but if you’re patient you will be surprised. I have not shot slugs out of it yet. But they might give you an extra ten yards. Good luck the best advice I can give you is start with something affordable and shoot it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
With using same brand of rifle, but one is .177, another is 22 and another is 25, you'll find that all these guns put out the same amount of air pressures. Difference is that when you load up a pellet, that .177 will travel faster and farther but with less energy at the end depending on distance. Closer target more energy. A 22 using same air pressure will travel a bit slower(heavier grain to push), but will have more energy at the end due to its size and weight. Same goes for the 25 caliber, with going even slower to target due to weight and pellet grain, but having even more impact energy than the 22. This is also where a good scope comes in for that distance(up to a certain amount due to the air pressures behind the pellet.

A springer will hit and kill at 40yds, but the killing target makes the difference. A small bird up to a raven is capable, but trying to kill a groundhog, it's not capable due to distance and pellet penetration that's needed to hit vitals. This is for about anything that is a CO2, pump or springer. They can only do so much.

For your needs if constantly wanting to keep the kill zone easily 25yds to that 50/60yd mark, or deciding to go to 100yds hitting paper target, I'd go with a PCP.

Umarex: Gaunlet 2
             Origin
              Notos Carbine >available in 22 only

Hatsan: Flashpup
            Hercules Bully > available from 177 to 45 big bore

Diana: Stormrider w/handpump package

Crosman: Icon > new on market

Benjamin: Marauder
                Akela
               Armada
                Cayden

Beeman: Under Lever
              Chief II Synthetic

Air Venturi: Avenger Bullpup (side lever)
                 Avenger (regulated and comes either in synthetic or wood stock choice)

This is a good selection of PCP's keeping only couple guns $800, while most all others between $250 and $500. I found all these guns in my Pyramyd Air catalog. Use code AG-2022-3A (in shopping cart) for extra $10 off ($50 or more purchase) from 6/15/22 - 11/15/22 (when you set up an account).

Something else to think about. One can get .177 or 22 pellets from Walmart easily, but if one gets a 25 caliber or larger you will have to order pellets online, and as always you'll need many pellet grain and type varieties to see which the gun likes best for accuracy, or what might kill better. Larger/heavier pellets will have more "knock-down energy" when hit, but depending on distance, the .177 will have the speed when using lighter weight grains, but accuracy over speed in any pellet is more useful and beneficial for the kill.

You'll probably also want a scope? Hawke, Burris, Leupold, KonusPro, Bushnell(Trophy/Elite models), CenterPoint(these can be hit or miss many times), and so many others depending on the $ wanting to spend. I didn't mention Nikon or Weaver. While great scopes, they are discontinued unless bought used or off Ebay and won't have a warranty anymore. The PCP air guns aren't harsh on scopes like a springer gun is, so putting on a $10 scope, if it's good will also work (for who knows how long is the answer).
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the great info guys. I went to the fun store yesterday to look for a Maurader. Nope. They were pushing a .25 cal Gauntlet and I know nothing about them so I passed. I do have a question regarding regulators. In my mind it would seem to make sense for shot to shot consistancy. Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've always liked the Diana Stormrider for the price one gets for around that $350. A change of the bolt, barrel, pellet tray/magazine, and you can switch from .177 to 22 (or other direction) for less than $200 for everything. You can even change from a left or right side receiver(need L or R bolt to match due to how bolt is drilled for receiver) Barrels are same outside diameter, only bore is changed. While it comes with a hand pump, you'll get to know how PCPs work for little money, then decide on what air compressor would be good for you.

Something else when looking at the PCPs I've listed is whether the regulator valve (air release to pellet) is adjustable or not. Go up in pellet air pressure you lose round count, but gain more pellet power, but go down in air pressure and you gain more shots per tank. One setting for hunting with heavy pellets and another setting for target with light weight pellets. I'm pretty sure for the price the Stormrider doesn't have an adjustable regulator valve.

You can call Pyramyd Air @ #855-367-7509. Someone there will speak with you about what your wants are and recommend something in a price you can live with, or at least answer your questions and order from elsewhere, for maybe a better cost for the PCP you want.

I almost forgot about the AirForce: Edge
                                                  Condor
                                                  Talon SS
While these are a bit pricier they still come in under $800 and are highly regarded PCP guns.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beersngars:
Thanks for all the great info guys. I went to the fun store yesterday to look for a Maurader. Nope. They were pushing a .25 cal Gauntlet and I know nothing about them so I passed. I do have a question regarding regulators. In my mind it would seem to make sense for shot to shot consistancy. Am I missing something?
View Quote

A regulator does help a bit with shot velocity consistency.  However, unregulated guns can be quite consistent, but the high and low pressures in the reservoir are much closer together than with a regulated gun.  That is, a regulated gun can shoot consistently with a full pressure fill to just a bit below the pressure the regulator is set.  For the Marauder, that means you can fill all the way to 3000 psi and shoot down to a regulated pressure of say 1800 psi.  With the same tune on a non regulated gun, you might get quite consistent shots from 2500 psi to 1700 psi.

The way the valve works is a hammer strikes the valve stem releasing a pulse of air.  With high pressure, it takes more energy to open the valve, and it closes quicker.  If the pressure is too high, the valve will only release a very short pulse of high pressure air, and the velocity will be a bit slow.  As the pressure decreases, the pulse becomes longer and output pressure decreases.  The nice thing about this is that the actual energy released is rather consistent.  The velocities follow a parabolic curve where it starts slower, increases to a maximum, and then decreases.  Plotting that curve will show you how many consistent shots with a given fill pressure and shoot down to pressure.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:15:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Just wanted to add, I have 2 talon SS guns. One in .177 and one in .22  they are great. BUT I recently got a $350 air century avenger in .25.
   The avenger (for the price) is amazing!  Only shot it 2-3 times and too windy for a real accuracy test but so far it is easily minute of chipmunk accurate at 50yds!
   I fill using a scuba tank and/or cheap $300 yong heng compressor. Knock on wood, the compressor is working well and owned for over a year so far.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Triumphman:
I've always liked the Diana Stormrider for the price one gets for around that $350. A change of the bolt, barrel, pellet tray/magazine, and you can switch from .177 to 22 (or other direction) for less than $200 for everything. You can even change from a left or right side receiver(need L or R bolt to match due to how bolt is drilled for receiver) Barrels are same outside diameter, only bore is changed. While it comes with a hand pump, you'll get to know how PCPs work for little money, then decide on what air compressor would be good for you.

Something else when looking at the PCPs I've listed is whether the regulator valve (air release to pellet) is adjustable or not. Go up in pellet air pressure you lose round count, but gain more pellet power, but go down in air pressure and you gain more shots per tank. One setting for hunting with heavy pellets and another setting for target with light weight pellets. I'm pretty sure for the price the Stormrider doesn't have an adjustable regulator valve.

You can call Pyramyd Air @ #855-367-7509. Someone there will speak with you about what your wants are and recommend something in a price you can live with, or at least answer your questions and order from elsewhere, for maybe a better cost for the PCP you want.

I almost forgot about the AirForce: Edge
                                                  Condor
                                                  Talon SS
While these are a bit pricier they still come in under $800 and are highly regarded PCP guns.

View Quote

You can get an optional regulator for the storm rider. It fits inside of the air reservoir so it’s a bit complicated to adjust.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 8:40:38 AM EDT
[#12]
A used PCP. For $500 you could find a BSA S10 or Hornet or Sportsman, FX Cyclone or SuperSwift, AirArms S400/410, Falcon FN19.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I am far from an air gun expert but I'll give my two cents.  I just caught the airgun urge and scratched it with an Umarex Origin.  Came with a pump new for a little over $300.  I am very impressed to say the least.  I can say that (within it's range limits) it's probably my most accurate gun I own.  Super fun to plunk pellet after pellet into the same hole at forty yards.  I had doubts about the included pump but after taking it apart and a proper lubing it has performed really well for me.  That said, I am now an addict (be careful the rabbit hole is DEEP) and have a compressor on the way lol.  I really don't see how you can go wrong with the Origin.
Link Posted: 8/13/2022 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Regulators are great until they aren't, if you buy a PCP with regulator, find out what orings you need to have on hand and get them, same if you buy a regulator to install yourself.  I'm not familiar with the inexpensive PCP's (<500)

that come with regulators, but have read of issues with them.  You may be better off buying a quality regulator and installing yourself if going for a more bargain PCP.  One thing I didn't know about them and discovered for

myself, if you go from your nice climate controlled house and go hunting in the heat, the pressure in the plenum will climb as the air/airgun warm up, more so if the sun is shining on it.  Your first shot will be slow,

depending on pressure, your particular tune, temp climb, time since leaving house/last shot.  It can be extreme.  BTW, I would never personally have a PCP in the .17-.25 range that was not regulated.  

Just starting out, you can't beat the benjamin marauder.  There is ton's of aftermarket support for it, good regulators you can buy for them, and they have a long and good track record.  Go spend time reading forums

like air gun nation and gateway to airguns.  They are very active forums with lot's of good information, and of course like anywhere else some not so good.  

Everyone has a different opinion on hand pumps, myself I never considered one.  I had a rebuilt/re-purposed military compressor used on bombers no more than a day or two after I had my first PCP in hand, they are no longer

available.  If it hadn't been available when I got into it I would have been looking for a used dive compressor and bit the bullet on cost.
Link Posted: 8/15/2022 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#15]
You can get a Yong Heng compressor for way less than $300.  Treat it well with GOOD oil and it should last quite a while if just filling guns or smaller tanks.  I'm pretty happy with mine so far.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:40:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I have dropped crows @ 50 yards with my springer / Airarms TX 200.
Headshots on skunks , opossums & raccoons @ 35 yards and they drop dead.
Mine is in .177 that has a huge selection of pellets at a lower cost than larger calibers.

LOTS of great selections only limited by your wallet.

PCP is nice if you are unable to cock a springs or want a repeater but I like the simplicity of springers.

My prior springer was an RWS 48 in .22 and it had lots of power but just lacking in the accuracy department.
Springers are a little harder to shoot for accuracy.

Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#17]
I ended up buying a Kratos in .25, extra mags, Sightron STAC 3-16, 4 tins of ammo and a cheapie Vevor hand pump. First shots and sight in will be this weekend. I'm already second guessing myself on the hand pump. The initial fill had me in a full on sweat and ready to sell the whole thing!
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 10:36:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ChupacabraSAR] [#18]
I ended up buying a Kratos in .25, extra mags, Sightron STAC 3-16, 4 tins of ammo and a cheapie Vevor hand pump. First shots and sight in will be this weekend. I'm already second guessing myself on the hand pump. The initial fill had me in a full on sweat and ready to sell the whole thing!
View Quote

Hang in there! PCP guns are absolutely worth it.

I have a MROD and a PROD and rely on a hand pump. I generally don't shoot below 2k psi. Hand pumping back to full on those guns is pretty easy.

Initial fill is the hardest one.

Lets see your setup and have fun on pest control safari!
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:32:16 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

Hand pumping sucks.  Before you give up save up for one of these.  It will fill your gun in less than a minute.  You will get MUCH more enjoyment out of the hobby with a good air source.
Compressor
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:

Hand pumping sucks.  Before you give up save up for one of these.  It will fill your gun in less than a minute.  You will get MUCH more enjoyment out of the hobby with a good air source.
Compressor
View Quote

Yeah there’s several ways of refills. Check with your local fire department and see if they will fill tanks. That’s another good option. But the hand pump is a really good source for exercise
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote

Well the sighting in went great. The accuracy is amazing!! Way more fun to watch the pellets go thru the same hole! This thing is a blast to shoot but the pumping has to go. I shot 80 rounds and had to pump up twice. I had to take a 20 minute break to get settled back down so I could shoot again. So looking for a compressor. Read a bunch and still don't see a clear path. This is what I think I want.

1) Budget about $350
2) 110 volt. Don't need or want battery cables
3) Don't want to mess with water cooling
4) Some kind of seperator/dessicant system
5) Parts availabilty for user repairs
6) A unit good enough not to need many parts... LOL

The GX CS1 looks interesting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:20:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I went with a 74CF Air tank instead of a compressor. I local dive shop charges me $10 a fill. They only fill to 3700PSI, but I still get a lot of shots out of it (10-20 refills at 60 shots a fill).

Saving for a buy once/cry once compressor and then I'm all set. about $3500 is what I need to get a quality compressor.
Link Posted: 9/25/2022 7:14:10 PM EDT
[#23]
TAG, i need to kill some squirrels.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 10:34:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Are you any good with wood working and have a old washing machine motor laying around?
I think a guy could build an apparatus for working that pump.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By meistermash:
Are you any good with wood working and have a old washing machine motor laying around?
I think a guy could build an apparatus for working that pump.
View Quote

That sort of thing has been tried, but the hand pumps do not like to be operated continuously.  Hand pumping needs to be done with about 75 to 100 strokes maximum, and then given a break until cool. Otherwise, too much heat builds up and the o-ring seals fail.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top