Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2023 2:05:15 PM EDT
Using their Gen 2 model, the "upside down" one.  And my God I'm tired of fighting it.  Today when trying to run some 200 grain 45 ACP loads on a beautiful day I was getting everywhere from 288 to 650 to 1299 fps.  This is 5.6 grains of CFE pistol that was dropped from a Dillion powder drop and visually inspected prior to seating. So no way it was getting those insane spreads.  The high ones probably should have blown up the gun.

But this is not unusual.  It seems like any kind of sun in the sky means your fps readings are going to be all over and a lot of ERR resuls.   I tried putting a hood over it and not much help. It seems its only good on days when its overcast, which means enjoying a beutiful spring day running some loads is not an option.  

Anyway is the LabRadar model worth the cash?  I was talking to a guy at the club who said it was quite finicky in its own way.

Any other suggestions?  I'm sick of comign back from the range with nothign accomplished other than wasting test loads.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been very happy with my Magnetospeed V3 since I got the aftermarket rigs that allow you to mount it to a picatinny rail and not on the rifle barrel. I don't really use it for pistol chrono stuff, just rifle. Lots of guys love the LabRadar and I almost got one.

-ZA
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 3:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
When my Caldwell acted up, the batteries were usually low. Found the low battery level caused the LEDs to flicker and caused errant readings. At first thought it was picking up someone else's shots because it would start spitting out readings while I wasn't shooting.

Labradar is worth the money to me. I shoot pistols a lot and it's functioned flawlessly even with folks shooting on both side. There's a barrier between the lanes which helps.

With rifle there's no barrier between shooters and still haven't had it pick up someone else's shot on the 50 or 100yd line.

I use an external battery pack that will keep it on all day if needed. I don't even turn it off when going down range to check targets.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#3]
How far away were the skyscreens from the muzzle?

Consider this, as it fixed 100% of my troubles with the optical chronographs I own.

Move the skyscreens down range, placing them immediately in front of the target face.  For example, if you are shooting at 25 yards, move the skyscreens out to 25 yards.  

If you are shooting a shorter distance the principle still applies - place skyscreens at the target.

Placing them directly in front of the target means you are less likely to hit them, too, as they surround the point of impact and are guaranteed 100% outside the impact area.

Placing them at the target also makes alignment MUCH easier. There is only the shooter and the target to align, with no need to also align the chronograph (it is at the target).

If you want to see the display of each shot (but cannot because of the distance), bring a spotting scope/binoculars or whatever.

I was ready to toss my chronos in the trash until I tried this as a last-ditch effort.  It worked, 100%.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 3:57:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you setting it out at 10 ft?
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#5]
The Labradar is awesome. Its accurate and picks up bullets well in any weather.

It has some quirks that are easy to work with in most cases.

The audio sensor that is built in isn't great in a lot of conditions. It requires a relatively quiet range and is picky about where the sensor is relative to the gun. A lot of people, myself included, use an inertial sensor to trigger the radar. I have mine in a 3D printed picatinny mount and I've used it just jammed into a cheek rest of a bolt gun. It detects the shot based on recoil and I haven't had any issues with the radar triggering.

The radar has to be aimed. There is a notch in the top that needs to be pointed at the target. I use a 3" section of drinking straw laid in that notch to help get the radar aimed properly. Cheap, easy solution.

I've heard of some concerns with reflections when the target is too close to a berm, or if there are side berms too close to the beam path. My local range I don't have this issue so I'm not sure how prevalent it actually is. The same issues apply to indoor ranges I assume.

All that said I love my Labradar. No way could I go back to an optical sensor chronograph.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 12:35:47 AM EDT
[#6]
It is a quntum leap from Caldwell budget to LabRadar budget.  Is there nothing somewhere in-between?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is a quntum leap from Caldwell budget to LabRadar budget.  Is there nothing somewhere in-between?
View Quote

There's always magnetospeed, but its a pain to use it on a pistol. Also accuracy will be affected with rifle or pistol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is my real question.  I'm going to take the Caldwell to the range again today at lunch and see what I can do.  When it works it works fine, except for the BT has never worked with anything other than my old android phone.  It will not connect to my iPad or S22.

I'd rather not put 500+ into a new chrono but tired of being frustrated with this one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn’t want to spend the cash on the lab radar either, but I’m glad I did.  Shooting Chrony hasn’t seen the light of day since I got mine.   I do not have a magneto speed but have seen them used.  If budget had prevented me from buying LR, I’d have gone for the Magneto speed sport or whatever it’s called.

Pistol, rifle, archery, bb and pellet guns…    Does it all easily with inertia trigger.

Trigger was something close to 10 or 20 bucks and I made 5 with the materials.  Mine is shrink wrapped and I just tie it around scope or put it in my palm when shooting.  

In my biased opinion,  aiming the lab radar is very simple.  

Using AA’s has made the blue tooth way more reliable than running external batteries.  The LR app is also a nice feature.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:17:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used a few chronographs so far.  I have a PACT that they no longer make still works just have to keep a fresh 9V in the thing.
I have heavy duty tripod to mount on and with retractable tape measure is easy to set up.  I have only clipped an upright.
And, that was before I got heavy duty tripod set up.   I loan this one out.

I have a Magneto speed sporter one.  It is great to use on busy ranges as there is no time ahead of the firing line.
It works good .....

Now a Labradar.....set up after a bit of a learning curve is quick, and again no time spent ahead of the firing line.  
A back up USB battery is always handy.

Cost is always a concern for sure.  A few people shoot with have Labradars and will never go back.  An another fellow is totally content with the Competition
Electronics Pro Chrono I think it has a blue tooth hook up?  

Link Posted: 5/3/2023 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the same chrono. I've gotten what you've experienced atleast a few times. I've done a few things to combat it and its been fine ever since:

-as someone already said. You need to make sure the thing is charged. I plug it in before I go to bed the night before I have to use it.
-shoot it in good lighting. Avoid shooting it in areas where half of its in shade, and the other half is not. If you're in the shade, make sure the whole unit is in the shade and then turn the LED lights on.
-the thing needs to be level and you need to shoot through it as straight as possible. I use teo bubble levels to confirm front to back and side to side level-ness.

If you're still having issues after that, id probably send it back.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies.  The magneto one I've seen work but I need this for a lot of pistol load testing.    

I'm going to make sure to follow some more of these suggestions about my Caldwell and see what I can do with it.  It just seems like bright sun really screws it up.  Today is another great day and I will see what it can do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Not gonna lie. It’s pretty irritating that Lab-radar has so much product demand but hasn’t found a way to scale up production enough to remotely meet that demand. Doubly frustrating that there hasn’t been another company notice this market void and stepped up to fill it with a similar product. A bunch of us have the money and desire to buy this product but for an extended period of time it’s been unobtainium. Frustrating.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
The only time my Caldwell G2 acted up was when I was shooting close to it. If I’m 10+ feet away it’s very consistent.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I had 3 of the caldwell units. None of them worked. Keep sening them back for a new one. Ended up getting $ back and got the Compelelctronics. Worked right out of the box. It has some quirks. Battery low gives weird readings like others have said. Does not work in the evenings or early mornings due to light. And if you shoot within 5 feet of either side it can pick up the shot but it will be way off the actual reading. So you will have to go in and delete those shots from the history or it will really mess up the readings.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:10:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
...  It just seems like bright sun really screws it up.  Today is another great day and I will see what it can do.
View Quote

Bright sunshine can exacerbate the muzzle blast problem (gases).  Get the chrono farther away from the muzzle.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I went to the range.  Nice sunny day.  

I went and put the G2 about 15 feet away, shooting pistols.  I had loaded up some 10mm 180gr XTP over 10.5 grains of Blue Dot and shot them.  I was getting around 1150 fps with a spread of less than 10 so I was thinking these are a little bit slower than I expected, but the new trickled scale is dispensing some tight charges.  

Then I took out my 200 grain lead 45ACP loads over 5.4/5.6/6.0 grains of CFE pistol.  All I was getting was in the 1150 range.  Now with the 10mm it seemed like that was in the ballpark based on recoil.  No way these were shooting that hot out of my 1911 and no way I was getting that velocity from those charges.  I was using the charge master link for verifying these as well and verified visually before seating.  These were seated in my 550 where the 10mm were done on a single stage and trickled.

So I can’t trust a single load I shot today if the 10mm and the 45 ACP were all giving me pretty much the same velocity, and a lot of ERR readings as well.

I”m hesitant to put the G2 right up next to the target when shooting pistols at 25 yards as I don’t want to hit it with a flier.  Rifles no problem.

I know where they have the LabRadar in stock and I don’t want to spend that much but it’s better than know knowing if anything I am shooting is actually working.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I started a thread on G2 vs LabRadar not long ago:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Chronograph-Opinions-between-Caldwell-G2-and-LabRadar-Doppler/42-543768/

You might find some of this useful.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 5:08:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I just emailed Caldwell about this.  Let’s see what they say.
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 6:39:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I went and put the G2 about 15 feet away, shooting pistols.  I had loaded up some 10mm 180gr XTP over 10.5 grains of Blue Dot and shot them.  I was getting around 1150 fps with a spread of less than 10 so I was thinking these are a little bit slower than I expected, but the new trickled scale is dispensing some tight charges.  

Then I took out my 200 grain lead 45ACP loads over 5.4/5.6/6.0 grains of CFE pistol.  All I was getting was in the 1150 range.  Now with the 10mm it seemed like that was in the ballpark based on recoil.  No way these were shooting that hot out of my 1911 and no way I was getting that velocity from those charges.  I was using the charge master link for verifying these as well and verified visually before seating.  These were seated in my 550 where the 10mm were done on a single stage and trickled.

So I can’t trust a single load I shot today if the 10mm and the 45 ACP were all giving me pretty much the same velocity, and a lot of ERR readings as well.

I”m hesitant to put the G2 right up next to the target when shooting pistols at 25 yards as I don’t want to hit it with a flier.  Rifles no problem.

I know where they have the LabRadar in stock and I don’t want to spend that much but it’s better than know knowing if anything I am shooting is actually working.
View Quote

Sounds like a lemon... how long have you had it?
Link Posted: 5/3/2023 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

6 months or so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone ever put a canopy, like an EZ Up over an optical chrony to make it “overcast”? I have wondered about trying that, as the last time I had mine out it was throwing a lot of errors and wildly spread readings just like OPs. I assumed the bright sunlight was causing problems and thought about trying to put it in the shade some how. I shoot on BLM land so there is no one else around and plenty of space.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I upgraded my old Pro Chrono to this one a while back.  So far it is working great, I really like the blue tooth app and run my iPhone as its’ remote.  I had their original Pro Chrono with a wired remote for decades, and while it occasionally would mess up some readings, it worked well enough for what it cost.  I gave it to my son, since it still works pretty well.  The new blue tooth version is a lot less expensive than the Lab Radar and measures handgun velocities better than a Magneto Speed.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020438152?pid=988434
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 2:45:00 PM EDT
[#24]
So it was overcast today and I went to the range and thought I'll give this one more shot.  I go to one of the combat pits so I don't have to worry about going downrange with other people and low and behold, the clouds part and the sun starts pounding down on me.  I start thinking "is someone f'ing with me or what?"  and shoot and get 1248fps on a round that is more like 850.  So at this point I think I may just put this chrono out of mine and its misery.

But I go to the bullseye pistol range that has a pavilion and I can setup the chrono out of the sun there.  I shoot some of those 45 rounds and suddenly I'm getting 850ish on the 5.6 grain loads and 900+ on the 6 grain loads.  Then I shoot some of my 10mm loads and those seemed pretty hot, 1350 fps on 180 grain but I couldn't remember what the powder charge was but they were pretty stout.  

So it seemed to be working when in the shade but I need to look up what I loaded those 10mm rounds with and see what I should be expecting.  

A related question.  On these the sensor is up on the main body, on top on this model, and the bottom is just flat whiie plastic with some LED strips.  Does the color or condition of those bottom white plastic parts that is the bottom of the triange you shoot though have any impact on the readings?

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Just a thought... is there anything reflective on the ground or on the tripod holding the chrony?

Being the chrony is inverted, brass on the ground reflecting light could cause intermittent issues, but seems your problem is more consistent, ie similar readings out of expected velocity range.    

Caldwell has a lifetime limited warranty on their gear and since you've only had this 6 M they shouldn't try and shirk their responsibility. I'd bug them...

If you want to go further with this, might use something like non-reflective black athletic tape to wrap the silver parts of the chrony/tripod. Another trick I used was to wrap and tape a black trash bag around the screens to form a tube to shoot through. Looks "trashy" but it worked.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:20:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
My Shooting Chrony works very well.  I upgraded it to the Bluetooth version.
I don't use it as much now that I have LabRadar, but it's a great chrony.

ETA:  I just looked it up and apparently they went out of business in 2020 or 2021.  Probably another covid victim.
You might be able to find a used one that works.
If Caldwell chrony is anything like their bipods, it's a Chinese ripoff of a good American brand (probably Shooting Chrony)

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My Shooting Chrony works very well.  I upgraded it to the Bluetooth version.
I don't use it as much now that I have LabRadar, but it's a great chrony.

ETA:  I just looked it up and apparently they went out of business in 2020 or 2021.  Probably another covid victim.
You might be able to find a used one that works.
If Caldwell chrony is anything like their bipods, it's a Chinese ripoff of a good American brand (probably Shooting Chrony)

View Quote

I have a Shooting Chrony already, and am happy with it.  I was just wondering if there was anything new in the "budget" category in which I usually find myself.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:06:09 PM EDT
[#28]
625 for a Lab Radar....oh man.  

Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:15:04 PM EDT
[#29]
nm.
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Labradar is amazing.  Absolutely worth the money.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 1:03:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
625 for a Lab Radar....oh man.  

View Quote

Don't forget the kinetic trigger upgrade.  By the time you have it shipped, the upgrade, the extra battery, and the tripod, what's the real cost?
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:05:04 AM EDT
[#32]
What is the kenetic trigger?  I've seen guys on YT shooting and using it with just regular guns as far as I can tell.  70% of my testing would be with handguns.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just a thought... is there anything reflective on the ground or on the tripod holding the chrony?

Being the chrony is inverted, brass on the ground reflecting light could cause intermittent issues, but seems your problem is more consistent, ie similar readings out of expected velocity range.    

Caldwell has a lifetime limited warranty on their gear and since you've only had this 6 M they shouldn't try and shirk their responsibility. I'd bug them...

If you want to go further with this, might use something like non-reflective black athletic tape to wrap the silver parts of the chrony/tripod. Another trick I used was to wrap and tape a black trash bag around the screens to form a tube to shoot through. Looks "trashy" but it worked.
View Quote

Well to limit reflection I put some a bit of matt varnish on the lower parts to cut down on glare.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
What is the kenetic trigger?  I've seen guys on YT shooting and using it with just regular guns as far as I can tell.  70% of my testing would be with handguns.
View Quote

One of the Labradar's issues is the built-in acoustic trigger. On busy ranges it can get overwhelmed and get a lot of false triggers. Its also fairly sensitive to position relative to the muzzle; too far forward or backward, or too far away from the gun can cause it to not trigger. The Labradar can accept an external trigger though, a few places make an inertial trigger for them that work much better than the built-in acoustic trigger. Here's one version of an inertial trigger:

https://jklprecision.com/product/labradar-trigger-gen-2/

This gets mounted to your gun, either with a picatinny mount or velcro or I've even just tucked mine behind a cordura cheek rest. It triggers the Labradar based on movement, in this case recoil of the gun. I'm not sure it would work well with a handgun, I guess you might be able to affix it to the bottom of a magazine or under a rubberband on the grip. I might have to try it to find out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#35]
LabRadar master race checking in.

The MagnetoSpeed does work too.

Kinetic trigger is best used for low noise. I don’t have one. It picks up unsupressed 22lr. For centerfire with a silencer, I use the auxiliary microphone.

Sometimes the LR is argumentative to set up. Definitely bring a box of cheap ammo for setup before you try load development or expensive ammo. It seems important to get the muzzle on line with the device, which can also be tricky when bench shooting, and awkward to manipulate. The louder and blastier the gun, the easier the LR picks up. Typically once it is setup, you don’t have to mess with it.

MagnetoSpeed has limited uses, but for me it works very well when it can be used. I’m not afraid to shim it a bit to clear muzzle devices. It has even worked for me while strapped to a silencer. It becomes more uncooperative with heavier recoiling, skinny barrels, and smoother finishes. I found an average of 2MOA POI shift to be rather consistent. I know a guy that just always shoots with it on his BR rifle for data collection, and has no issue with POI shift between uses (it does give him a decent shift by its use, but consistently).
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#36]
nm.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#37]
15 feet should be sufficient for pistols I think.  I'm going to giver her another run Sunday now that I've made modifications.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Welp, speak of the devil... Just got notification that Labradar has units in stock. I just ordered one with a tripod. Lookin' forward to this!
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#39]
one more thing i just remembered. youre going to want to keep your sensors clean. ive used a microfiber towel in the past to get into the channel where the sensors sit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:05:47 PM EDT
[#40]
There might be a Labradar on the EE.  Gone.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
15 feet should be sufficient for pistols I think.  I'm going to giver her another run Sunday now that I've made modifications.
View Quote

Watch out for the "I think..." part of that.  It is an electronic instrument.  It works but you have to set it up correctly.  If it isn't working, something is wrong.

If muzzle blast is causing any movement of the chronograph or skyscreens, it is too close to be reliable.

The "magic" happens when you get far enough away and all of a sudden, you are getting reliable, accurate data.
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 5:56:53 PM EDT
[#42]
My inverted Caldwell only missed one shot in probably thousands. Sounds like you're shooting too close and it's picking up unburnt powder.

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I ordered a Labradar this weekend.

My Pro Chrono has been giving me fits because my best opportunity to shoot is in the mornings in bright sunlight.  It has been unreliable in these conditions and I'm tired or wasting reloads when doing load development.  It was hard to swallow the cost, but now I'm looking forward to the reliability of the Labradar and will no longer need to worry about getting the Pro Chrono aligned between the gun and target.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
... will no longer need to worry about getting the Pro Chrono aligned between the gun and target.
View Quote

Put the chronograph at the target (almost touching the target).  This eliminates that alignment task.  It also REDUCES the risk of accidentally shooting the chronograph.
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 6:09:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I ordered a Labradar this weekend.

My Pro Chrono has been giving me fits because my best opportunity to shoot is in the mornings in bright sunlight.  It has been unreliable in these conditions and I'm tired or wasting reloads when doing load development.  It was hard to swallow the cost, but now I'm looking forward to the reliability of the Labradar and will no longer need to worry about getting the Pro Chrono aligned between the gun and target.
View Quote

Good move, you won't regret it.

I had the same issue with a Caldwell... morning sun, crappy results. Did workarounds and then bought an LR.  

I've had it 5 yrs and use it on every trip to the local range. All the drama of setup at a busy range is a thing of the past.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#47]
I will say that getting the unit out of bright sunlight has helped a lot. I'm now doing my testing under a pavilion on the 25-50 yard range at the club.  Much better, though I think I will still get a Labradar eventually. And I do move it far enough out that I don't see it move when I shoot, so I don't think it was muzzle blast.  I definitely have to move it farther out for 10 or 357 than for 45.

It just seems that if you get bright sun at a certain angle it causes it all kinds of problems.

Also I emailed Caldwell, they never got back to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 10:07:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've essentially done this but on a much smaller scale by using a towel or jacket to put the chronograph in the shade. It does cut down on errors in bright sunlight and especially when one screen/light bar is getting direct sunlight and the other is getting shade either from overhead obstruction or even from the legs that hold the chrono above the bars.

I've emailed Caldwell about this and have recommended that they sell a fitted screen or zippered bag that is open on both ends. It would essentially be a bag that fits around the unit to put both bars in a shaded condition. Ideally it would be included with the chronograph when purchased and could even double as the carrying case.
View Quote

I wrapped around the screens with a black garbage bag and added LEDs to the std Caldwell. It worked great until a gust of wind would blow it all over.
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 9:13:26 AM EDT
[#50]
The trick to optical chronographs buy from brownells since they have that guaranteed forever program it will work.

My shooting chrony hasn’t missed 10 shots total i bet.

I honestly believe you either get a good one or you don’t.

I’ve never carried mine out in rain but all other conditions it just works.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top