Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2018 8:42:19 AM EDT
So, I have an aluminum Steyr AUG receiver that has been cut in half.

It is NOT NFA, but it is a pre-1989 A1 and I'd like to salvage it.

Suggestions?

tsh77769
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:14:16 AM EDT
[#1]
M60joe?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:  So, I have an aluminum Steyr AUG receiver that has been cut in half.

It is NOT NFA, but it is a pre-1989 A1 and I'd like to salvage it.

Suggestions?

tsh77769
View Quote
I was going to say Braceman, but he doesn't have a manufacturing SOT.  Once it is rewelded, it will be a new receiver, not one legally made before 1989 and should be marked w/ the SOT's information, AFAIK.

If it's 7075, be aware that there doesn't seem to be a welding industry acceptable method for welding 7075.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe the Aug receiver is cast 7075. While it can be welded, I'd not fire the rifle after doing so. 7075, in a structural role,  should never be welded.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I was going to say Braceman, but he doesn't have a manufacturing SOT.  Once it is rewelded, it will be a new receiver, not one legally made before 1989 and should be marked w/ the SOT's information, AFAIK.
View Quote
I think that depends on the nature of the receiver cutting/damage. I could be mistaken, but unless the receiver was demiled to ATF's standards at the time, they still consider it a firearm and you'd just be having it repaired.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think that depends on the nature of the receiver cutting/damage. I could be mistaken, but unless the receiver was demiled to ATF's standards at the time, they still consider it a firearm and you'd just be having it repaired.
View Quote
Right It was cut with a band saw or cutting wheel straight across, it's missing a 1/4 inch thick corss section, and not to ATF's "destroyed" spec that I know of.

Tsh77769
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't know when BATFE started demanding torch cutting, but quite a few parts kits in the past have just been mechanically cut.  Did a police department have this receiver cut and then reported it destroyed?

Or did someone just get really angry and a driveway was not available?  
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you braze aluminum?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm not familiar w/ the AUG's action.  Does it use a rear-lugged bolt or something that puts a lot of stress on the action?  If it's cut clean in two behind the trunnion, wouldn't the principal stress on firing be compression?

If it falls apart on the return stroke of the bolt, no harm done.  Of course, the downside is it's next to your ear.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:13:57 PM EDT
[#11]
7075 can only be spot resistance welded.

I would guess maintaining zinc distribution in the weld would seriously affect strength of the resulting joint.

Some high carbide aluminum (6XXX) also are hard to weld.

There is no way to maintain the carbide in the weld or recreate it reliably in the very high strength grades.

It is also very brittle and does not form without heating and careful cooling to preserve the carbide inclusion.
Link Posted: 2/10/2018 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't know when BATFE started demanding torch cutting, but quite a few parts kits in the past have just been mechanically cut.  Did a police department have this receiver cut and then reported it destroyed?

Or did someone just really angry and a driveway was not available?  
View Quote
I always figured they were torched to spec then sawn for cleanup...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top