Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2018 7:51:53 PM EDT
Just watched “Master of Arms”

They built Blunderbusses. I decided this would be a fun project and surely someone makes a kit.

Found this one:

Sitting Fox Blunderbuss

Really nice kit, has the “look” I like. One issue is the 20” barrel.

Isn’t 20” long for a BB?  I was thinking 14-16” like a pirate SBS.

I contacted them and 20” is all they offer. I found some other with shorter barrels but not in 4-Bore.

I really want a kit to make it a fun project.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Might be the thing for some but kind of rich for me for a shits and giggles toy. ($999)

Back 20 or 30 years ago I built a couple of black powder kits . Pretty hard to judge quality of the kits when they are in the raw. Did a Thompson Contender Hawken that worked out fairly well. Then I grabbed some other brand in a flintlock pistol that actually cost more than the Hawken rifle and the stock was a crummy mess and the lock was shitty as hell.

Is Dixey Gun Works still in business? Back before the internet their catalog was the bible for anything black powder.

Yeah, I am a old fart
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:47:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I think it wouold be a really neat thing to have, and would probably only be fired once.

I can't imagine spending an afternoon shooting it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 12:01:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it wouold be a really neat thing to have, and would probably only be fired once.

I can't imagine spending an afternoon shooting it.
View Quote
Yes, most likely. But a fun project, and a nice wall hanger.

I have practical guns I’ve never shot. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:15:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Traditions makes a 16" .54 caliber kit that sells for about $300. I've seriously thought about buying it. I wish that had made it in some size of shotgun bore though.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Traditions makes a 16" .54 caliber kit that sells for about $300. I've seriously thought about buying it. I wish that had made it in some size of shotgun bore though.
View Quote
Why?

Just curious to know why it matters.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:22:13 AM EDT
[#7]
http://www.militaryheritage.com/musket9.htm

http://www.veteranarms.com/ReproductionMuzzleloadersandFlintlocks/French-Blunderbuss.html
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 10:41:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Might be the thing for some but kind of rich for me for a shits and giggles toy. ($999)

Back 20 or 30 years ago I built a couple of black powder kits . Pretty hard to judge quality of the kits when they are in the raw. Did a Thompson Contender Hawken that worked out fairly well. Then I grabbed some other brand in a flintlock pistol that actually cost more than the Hawken rifle and the stock was a crummy mess and the lock was shitty as hell.

Is Dixey Gun Works still in business? Back before the internet their catalog was the bible for anything black powder.

Yeah, I am a old fart
View Quote
Yep Dixie Gun Works is still open and the catalog is still 5.00 .. I just them up on Saturday..

The prices have climbed too.. no surprise with that though
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Not until Punt guns are legal again!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Why?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why?

I'm no historian, but I think blundbusses were traditionally large smooth bore weapons and if it was made in a common shotgun guage I could easily find wads, over shot cards, or whatever it's called. It seems dumb to make a sightless gun like this in .54 caliber, designed for firing a single ball.
This guy figured out how to shoot shot through it though.
ETA, .54 is real close to 28guage. I wunder if you could use regular wads designed for reloading shells and just make something to go over the shot?
ETA, my link above isn't working. Copy and paste below. Cool story about a guy hunting with a blunderbuss.
https://hoveysknivesofchina.com/2013/04/12/sportsmans-guide-blunderbuss-takes-a-georgia-turkey-blunderbuss-hunt-20-gauge-for-turkey-cylinder-bored-hunting-guns-traditions-blunderbuss-georgia-turkey-hunting-percussion-blunderbuss-shot-lo/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top